Problem with major company and air conditioning installation - Has anyone else experienced this.

Longwood50

There is a major company with locations throughout Thailand that sells all sorts of appliances, and electronics.  They were advertising a new Samsung AC with installation and a free pipe cover.  

They arrived this morning.  First thing was installer said, that the 4 meter power cord wont' reach was 50 centimeters short but only sell in 1 meter length and that extra would be 500 baht.  Next the man said "installation" did not include removing the old AC off the wall and the old compressor off the pad.  They have a 700 baht disposal fee.  We said, we don't want it disposed, we are selling for parts.  Still says the fee would be 700 baht.  Next says that pipe cover was not included and would be 1,200 baht. 

I agree but want invoice from the major company not him and I will pay to them.  He says that major company has nothing to do with it, that invoice comes from his company.  

I agree to pay to the major company and tell the installer I will take the issue of the extra charges up with the major company but I did not "hire" his company.  I indicated that I needed a receipt from the major company I purchased the AC from.  

This is what in the USA is termed a bait and switch tactic and using and paying the contractor directly would allow the major company to say you agreed to pay another company for their services and it has nothing to do with us. 

End of story, installer finally leave and we did not pay.  We ended up getting exactly what was promised.  I just wonder if this a typical tactic to bait with a price that includes installation then suddenly get installer changes what was agreed to. 

PS we asked for the extra length from the 5 meter power cord.  Installer said, there was no "extra" he buried the extra length.  Not possible.  No place was dug up.  

Edited by Longwood50
  • Sad 1

The removal/disposal fee can normally be negotiated to zero if you let them keep it. If you want to keep it then its fair they charge you to remove. That said 700 is a little steep, usually 500.

For installation everything over 4m is yours to pay for on a 'free install.'

Edited by sungod
  • Thanks 1

The big box stores often subcontractor the free install, even if they call your misses to tell her they are predictably late with name of the store, and arrive with the store t-shirt, it's the same for other home services we've noticed such as curtain install, they could be working for a few companies etc.. Think of it like Grab or Uber. I'd had them install aircon few times over the years in rentals where I wanted to make use of a non air-con room, usually the cheapest, used to get small units for as little as 8k installed back in the day on promo so just write it off when move, but theres always been at least 500-1000baht for something or other, paid in cash.  It's good to see now they publish price lists so you know if you're being screwed.

It was for the unpredictable added charges this time round, that we avoided the big box stores for our aircon as I wanted to be more precise with positioning and expected these charges to accumulate quickly, and opted for the builder to arrange in lieu of a discount - no extras to be paid - tell them where and how you wanted, the builder arranged an independent expert with his own big van and team of subexperts... and what a disaster, drilling into wrong places, missing vibration pads, endless missed appointments, not calling to say they weren't coming to 4.55pm, dust and rubble just tossed in the bin unwrapped, unnecessary blue pvc pipe for drainage on some, what he had left of white pipe on other, one unit giving out electric shocks..  I mention this as on another thread people were saying go with the independents,  I didnt cross reference the telephone numbers listed but this wasn't a lone subbie, point being it's not always greener on the other side. Perhaps the high margins on the extras provide an incentive for big box free install subcontractor to do to a consistent quality.

Also, at least with big box store they are usually scared of loosing the contract and you have a point of contact to reliable call and kick off, think I'll be using HomePro next. At the end of a HomePro install too you have the sign the ipad thing they have,  can refuse if it's sub quality..

Edited by farang9392
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Didn't you ask the questions prior to agreeing installation?

Is there a "part" of installation free that you would ask question of.  
Is there a part of "Pipe cover included as a free gift" that you would ask a question of

Now the 4 meter I knew and I agreed to pay the additional for the extra meter.  Guess what.  He didn't need it.  

If you hired a company for new tires and installation, would you ask if it included taking the old tires off. 

40 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

Also, at least with big box store they are usually scared of loosing the contract and you have a point of contact to reliable call and kick off, think I'll be using HomePro nex

I have used Home Pro before and we did not have any problems.  This was not with HomePro or any of the Hardware Chains.  

It appeared to me, that this sub, paid for the unit from the big box store and then was assigned to do free install.  Used the opportunity to find "extras" to charge for. 

I did talk to the customer service person at this Big Box store.  I  printed a copy of the download showing the "free items"  She said, oh they run different promotions every day and on that dat free gift of pipe cover was not included.  That "free gift" offer runs every day on almost every AC this company sells.  I printed my copy out and they countered well not on the day I bought.  The item is sold out, so I still had my copy from when I purchased when the item was in the cart.  No, they said, not proof .  

Last time to buy from them.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is "bait and switch" about getting the Samsung unit that you ordered?

Bait and switch

Free installation does not include removing the old unit from the wall.  If you purchased new tires including installation, would you expect that when you went for the install they said, oh there is an extra charge for removing the old tires. 

How about for a tune up on your car.  Would you expect they would say that it did not include taking the old spark plugs out. 

My copy says "free gift of pipe cover"  When installer comes says no but will sell for 1,200 baht.

To me sir, that is bait and switch. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Is there a "part" of installation free that you would ask question of.  
Is there a part of "Pipe cover included as a free gift" that you would ask a question of

Now the 4 meter I knew and I agreed to pay the additional for the extra meter.  Guess what.  He didn't need it.  

If you hired a company for new tires and installation, would you ask if it included taking the old tires off. 

In Thailand you should know by now they can't be trusted, need to double check beforehand

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Thailand you should know by now they can't be trusted, need to double check beforehand

I think it is not better in Western countries. I see often such cases on western TV. I have the feeling that the Thais adopt more and more "western standards". 

27 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Charging for removal of an old air con unit is standard. As I mentioned, if you let them keep it then the charge is normally dropped. Protest all you want, but this is normal.

Just put it down as a lesson learnt and move on.

It appeared to me, that this sub, paid for the unit from the big box store and then was assigned to do free install.  Used the opportunity to find "extras" to charge for. 

I'm confused. You bought this AC deal from an electronic/appliance store then why would the subbie buy the unit from a big box store? And if he did the freebies he did or didn't get don't matter, it's only what the store you bought it from agreed that matters.

On the promo stuff, it does change daily for some big box store, but I imagine installation is rather consistent, other stuff varies if it isnt included by default - one day you don't even get 6 free dishwasher tablets with a Bosch, other days you get a free mop, 4hr delivery and install within bangkok and whopping 12 tablets.. and a treasure map to find more tablets that cost less than gold..

Edited by farang9392

6 minutes ago, sungod said:

Charging for removal of an old air con unit is standard. As I mentioned, if you let them keep it then the charge is normally dropped. Protest all you want, but this is normal.

Just put it down as a lesson learnt and move on.

Normally the seller should ask if you have an old air conditioner and give you a quote for the entire installation. Apparently they didn't care that the buyer has the correct information - for whatever reason...

I wouldn't buy at such a shop if they don't inform me about additional charges automatically. I really thank the OP for the warning because I am considering to replace my old aircons.

Just now, Mickeymaus said:

Normally the seller should ask if you have an old air conditioner and give you a quote for the entire installation. Apparently they didn't care that the buyer has the correct information - for whatever reason...

I wouldn't buy at such a shop if they don't inform me about additional charges automatically. I really thank the OP for the warning because I am considering to replace my old aircons.

Argue all you want, its standard. I've explained the way to get the removal for free.

26 minutes ago, sungod said:

Taking off tires when you pay for new tires is "normal"  When I buy new tires I don't expect to ask if it includes taking the old ones off.  If you advertise free tire installation would you then feel compelled to ask if it included taking the old ones off.  Why should it be with an air conditioner.  Consider all these big box stores are selling the overwhelming majority of their units not to new home construction but as replacement.  

I is called "full disclosure"  It is not free installation if there is a charge to remove the old one and as such it should be advertised as such. 

I replaced a unit in the living room a few years ago.  The contractor quoted me a price with "installation"  He didn't then say, oh you have an old one so I need to charge more.  So your comment about it being customary and normal is not accurate. 

2 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Taking off tires when you pay for new tires is "normal"  When I buy new tires I don't expect to ask if it includes taking the old ones off.  If you advertise free tire installation would you then feel compelled to ask if it included taking the old ones off.  Why should it be with an air conditioner.  Consider all these big box stores are selling the overwhelming majority of their units not to new home construction but as replacement.  

I is called "full disclosure"  It is not free installation if there is a charge to remove the old one and as such it should be advertised as such. 

I replaced a unit in the living room a few years ago.  The contractor quoted me a price with "installation"  He didn't then say, oh you have an old one so I need to charge more.  So your comment about it being customary and normal is not accurate. 

If you know so much why are you on here asking for feedback?

26 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

I'm confused. You bought this AC deal from an electronic/appliance store then why would the subbie buy the unit from a big box store? And if he did the freebies he did or didn't get don't matter, it's only what the store you bought it from agreed that matters.

Yes we were confused to.  I agreed to pay the extra charges but I asked for an invoice from the big box store I bought the unit from.  The installer explained he buys the unit from the big box store then goes to the customer house to install.  He gets the "extra" directly and as such I could get no invoice for the extra's.  I refused.  I said, I bought from xyz company.  If I have to pay for extras I pay them to the xyx company and then if I have an issue with those charges I will discuss it with them.  If I pay to you, they will tell me that I just contracted for service with this sub and they were not part of the deal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sungod said:

If you know so much why are you on here asking for feedback?

I just wondered if this was typical of what others experienced in Thailand.  Sell with everything included but suddenly find new charges when it arrives.  

I went to the Big retailer thinking if I had a problem that I would be better served dealing with them rather than a small Thai installer.  I thought wrong.  

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, sungod said:

Argue all you want, its standard. I've explained the way to get the removal for free.

Sometimes refills of coffee are "free" other times they are not.

Sometimes a loaner car when your car is in for service is for free. Other times it is not.

Sometimes a salad and a side dish come with an entree, and other times they dont' 

What is "standard" at some companies does not make it universal.  At the very least it should be a companies responsibility to make a reasonable disclosure of exactly what the free installation includes and/or put an asterisk and indicate it does not include the removal of the old unit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The offer of a free installation is standard. There is no need to say that removal of an existing AC unit is not included as it isn’t installing its removing. There was no bait and switch. The only genuine complaint was the that the free pipe cover wasn’t free.

It is disingenuous to try to compare replacement tyres with an AC installation, as you can’t get to the store if you don’t have old tyres. With an AC there is no expectation (except for you) that a new AC will replace an existing one at no extra cost. None of the AC units I’ve purchased have been replacing an existing one.

Remember nothing is free, it is just included in the price, I would certainly be unhappy if I had to pay an inflated price for taking an existing AC unit for the 5 units I’ve bought in the last few years just so you could have a free (but actually paid for in the price) removal.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Longwood50 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is "bait and switch" about getting the Samsung unit that you ordered?

Bait and switch

Free installation does not include removing the old unit from the wall.  If you purchased new tires including installation, would you expect that when you went for the install they said, oh there is an extra charge for removing the old tires. 

How about for a tune up on your car.  Would you expect they would say that it did not include taking the old spark plugs out. 

My copy says "free gift of pipe cover"  When installer comes says no but will sell for 1,200 baht.

To me sir, that is bait and switch. 

Well, what you experienced was not bait and switch, you got what you ordered and you didn't have to pay for the pipe insulation.   

Your tyre and car tuning 'analogies' are ridiculously incomparable.

• Thumbs Up 1