Starter Motor.

My 8 year old Honda Forza has now done about 53000 Ks. It still has the original starter motor. Would it be a good idea to have it replaced now instead of it maybe happening away from a Honda agent? How long should an average starter motor last?

• Haha 2

Does it have a kick starter?  If yes, then I would not repair/replace until it fails.  Failure may never happen during your ownership.

There is some parts availability on most Honda starter motors.  I have just rebuilt a starter motor on a twenty year old Honda Wave by fitting new brushes.  The job is pretty fiddly but it saves a lot of money compared with replacement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Does it have a kick starter?  If yes, then I would not repair/replace until it fails.  Failure may never happen during your ownership.

There is some parts availability on most Honda starter motors.  I have just rebuilt a starter motor on a twenty year old Honda Wave by fitting new brushes.  The job is pretty fiddly but it saves a lot of money compared with replacement.

I did not know that 20-year-old Waves had a starter motor, thought it was kickstart only.

Starter motors being fitted to fuel injection modals. 

My Wave has 120000on the clock still original starter motor, only thing I have had to replace was the battory. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

I did not know that 20-year-old Waves had a starter motor, thought it was kickstart only.

Starter motors being fitted to fuel injection modals. 

My Wave has 120000on the clock still original starter motor, only thing I have had to replace was the battory. 

It is actually a 2004 Honda Innova 125 which I have in the UK.  The Innova is 99% the same as a Wave 125S so I assume the Wave 125S of the same year would have electric start too.

21 hours ago, In the jungle said:

It is actually a 2004 Honda Innova 125 which I have in the UK.  The Innova is 99% the same as a Wave 125S so I assume the Wave 125S of the same year would have electric start too.

They are different markets around the world for about the same modal of motorcycles, the first Honda wave 125 cc in Thailand was made in 2013, before that they were 100 and 110cc modals only fitted with kickstarts.

For the UK market riders like the electric start, that was a big thing when Honda launched the CB 750 in 1969 a bike with an electric foot.

Back to Thailand, I have asked why a 125cc Wave 10000 baht more than the 110-cc modal, I was told the 125 is another tax bracket, and an Eletric start modal is/was 1800 baht more than a kickstart modal.

I would say that is why the 100/110ccWave around for a while before the 125cc modal was launched, Honda did its homework found a ready market, even with the price hike, now  the rest is history. 

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, kickstart said:

They are different markets around the world for about the same modal of motorcycles, the first Honda wave 125 cc in Thailand was made in 2013, before that they were 100 and 110cc modals only fitted with kickstarts.

For the UK market riders like the electric start, that was a big thing when Honda launched the CB 750 in 1969 a bike with an electric foot.

Back to Thailand, I have asked why a 125cc Wave 10000 baht more than the 110-cc modal, I was told the 125 is another tax bracket, and an Eletric start modal is/was 1800 baht more than a kickstart modal.

I would say that is why the 100/110ccWave around for a while before the 125cc modal was launched, Honda did its homework found a ready market, even with the price hike, now  the rest is history. 

Well I ordered the parts for the Honda Innova at my dealer in Chumphon using the parts book for a 2004 Wave 125S so they must have been making the Wave 125 back then.

The only differences between the Innova and the Wave are to do with lighting where legal requirements differ in the EU/UK.

The 2004 Wave parts book shows an electric starter.  Wave parts book is here:

https://mototh.com/en/bike/6/Honda+WAVE+125S+2004

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 10:03 PM, In the jungle said:

Well I ordered the parts for the Honda Innova at my dealer in Chumphon using the parts book for a 2004 Wave 125S so they must have been making the Wave 125 back then.

The only differences between the Innova and the Wave are to do with lighting where legal requirements differ in the EU/UK.

The 2004 Wave parts book shows an electric starter.  Wave parts book is here:

https://mototh.com/en/bike/6/Honda+WAVE+125S+2004

That will be the last time I use Microsoft/Bing, I wrote, what year was the Honda Wave introduced into Thailand, and it come up as 2013.

If that is AI for you, which I think the answer was ,in a drop-down box, the machines can come and take over.

PS. send one to me tomorrow morning my bike needs an oil change, getting down on my hands and knees under the bike is getting hard work 

@NoshowJones I read a lot of Honda Forza gen 1 (pre-2018) forums and groups , as mine has just about everything go wrong with it, but I never heard of starter motor issue, so don't worry about it ...

Belt is very critical, but check it first before changing, I changed mine at 24k km according to service schedule, but later looked at it and it was almost new. Battery of course, and rear brake pads need regular change..... . And don't get me started on clutch shoes, one of mine broke off ..., and it never works that well, vibrates and stutter, all my forks and shocks leaked, engine leaked from the water pump, idling issue, LCD blue light gone, headlight bulbs both gone at the same time ... !? etc. etc. 

At 53k km you might want to adjust valves, I'm at 42k now, but not bothered, so many other things are failing, saving money on that one....!

Right now I have issue with front wheel, maybe shocks etc, at very slow speed, nobody can diagnose it, sightly lean to one side or the other, but it might be something to do with steering stem connection to handlebar, on this scooter a lot of panels have to come off to get to that part...! ????

Honda bulletproof my back side, I will try Yamaha for my next bike, see if any better...!!! 

3 hours ago, Agusts said:

@NoshowJones I read a lot of Honda Forza gen 1 (pre-2018) forums and groups , as mine has just about everything go wrong with it, but I never heard of starter motor issue, so don't worry about it ...

Belt is very critical, but check it first before changing, I changed mine at 24k km according to service schedule, but later looked at it and it was almost new. Battery of course, and rear brake pads need regular change..... . And don't get me started on clutch shoes, one of mine broke off ..., and it never works that well, vibrates and stutter, all my forks and shocks leaked, engine leaked from the water pump, idling issue, LCD blue light gone, headlight bulbs both gone at the same time ... !? etc. etc. 

At 53k km you might want to adjust valves, I'm at 42k now, but not bothered, so many other things are failing, saving money on that one....!

Right now I have issue with front wheel, maybe shocks etc, at very slow speed, nobody can diagnose it, sightly lean to one side or the other, but it might be something to do with steering stem connection to handlebar, on this scooter a lot of panels have to come off to get to that part...! ????

Honda bulletproof my back side, I will try Yamaha for my next bike, see if any better...!!! 

"and rear brake pads need regular change". I had to change my brake pads about 32,000 Ks but that's all, front and back tyres once. First battery at 12000 Ks now on my third. Very reliable bike.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Agusts said:

Sounds like head stock bearings, could be over tight.

Put bike on main stand, with some weight on the back, the front folks /wheel should just drop to each side under they own weight, if they do not could be too tight or lacking some grease.

To see if they are lose grab the front wheel and try and move it backward and forwards, any movement at the headstock bearing are to lose.

I have a side car on my Wave and I had to replace the headstock bearings, sidecars are heavy on head stock bearings, the wife nephew reluctantly did the job, like your bike you spend more time taking all the plastic off than replacing the bearings. 

I had a Kawa GTO I replaced the headstock bearings on that, did them one hour at lunch time between jobs. nice simple job.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1