Thailand urged to prioritise accessible tourism for disabled and elderly

webfact

image.jpeg

Tourism operators in Thailand are calling for the development of a long-term action plan to make the country more accessible for elderly and disabled travellers. Jittasak Putjorn, an assistant professor at Silpakorn University researching the development of Thailand as a “Tourism For All” destination, said that the government and private operators should work together to close the gap in development and create a more inclusive environment.

Putjorn said…

“If Thailand wants to make tourism a crucial economic driver and expand its presence on the global stage, we must not leave behind disabled people or seniors.”

According to Putjorn, there is currently no database of domestic or foreign disabled tourists, but it is believed that 2.1 million disabled people live in Thailand. He also highlighted that a study showed disabled European tourists spent 29,468 baht per trip, indicating that disabled tourists are willing to travel and spend money.

by Alex Morgan

Top Photo via Freepik

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thailand-urged-to-prioritise-accessible-tourism-for-disabled-and-elderly

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

Lets start with sidewalks that are paved and not full of holes, missing sections or roots running across them.  Ten lets ensure the RTP keep the wrong way riders at bay and off of the sidewalks as well.  Thats a start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think I could make it in Asia if I were physically disabled if I were solo. The mobility issues are just too great.

Downtown Bangkok would likely be my first choice as it has sidewalks in most places downtown and food and necessities streetside. If your in a smaller town and your chair breaks down or something, your stuck without being near someplace that could repair it or where you could buy another. If something happened you want to be nearby food, banks, etc without having to travel very far.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

Not in Chiang Mai.  Both sides of Huay Kaew Road(one of the major streets in the City) from Ram Hospital to Maya Mall are not walkable.  The north side has partially dried cement and large holes to access the pipes.  The south side is torn up so new concrete sidewalks can be poured (whenever this happens).  I go to the gym on HK road and for the last month I have to walk on the street with the vehicles.  I would not recommend a wheelchair person to visit Chiang Mai.  Also, I was in BKK last month and getting around in a wheelchair would be challenging in many parts of the city.  In my old neighborhood we had a saying "What the heck are they smoking?" 

Somebody wheelchair bound will not be able to navigate Thai streets and sidewalks anytime soon or in my lifetime. What  is possible is focusing on some of the major tourist sites in Bangkok and places like Ayutthaya. Wheelchair access doesn't necessarily mean going to the top or inside the narrow corridors and staircases, because that is structurally impossible. But people could get access right up to and on some of the lower levels of these sites. But the fact is, in all reality, even something like this isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism operators in Thailand are calling for the development of a long-term action plan to make the country more accessible for elderly and disabled travellers

That's an almost impossible ask... looking at design and construction elderly and immobile are not even considered.

There is a guy who does it in Jomtein Pattaya. I see him eating at a cafe around breakfast. Has an electric wheel chair, paraplegic I think. Has one of those notepads in front, so little use of arms, not sure.

so it CAN be done, you just get a room like in one of the view talays with a big elevator near the Main Street and use restaurants nearby. Beach is there with wide sidewalk, bars are there, foods there, immigration is there.

he looks stuck in that one area, but That could be better then his alternatives if he is low on money. Much better then being in the USA for example at a boarding house in a big city, which can be pretty bad if your low income.

the question is getting situated over here and getting settled in. In a worse case scenario I could see hiring a bargirl somewhere for assistance finding a place and with whatever else as needed.

the other concern is if something weird happens you’re kind of vulnerable. Like a bank problem, visa run, medical problem or something where it’s not easy to just get up move quickly. There’s no center for the disabled or support services that can step in (as far as I know).

there are also guys in walkers in Jomtein and much older guys that are not very mobile, so it would be possible to find a support system with friends around there.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I am physically abled and in pretty good shape and for me footpaths/sidewalks are a constant obsticle course and the need to avoid whopping great holes or tables and chairs or advertising or rubbish etc,etc necessitates a move onto the road. Just more empty headed thought bubble policy.

some of these "bridges" over roads. The steps are made, so that young less fit people have problems...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Why do I get the nagging feeling that a farangs wheelchair will be charged as the same rate as a car to enter a National Park???

it has 4 wheels...so of course

• Haha 1

It will never happen in my lifetime, Not jus roads here where I live there is no pavements so you are in the road, as for hotels, and other accommodation also villas there would have to be major alterations to door ways and bathrooms, simple things like taking a shower or a bath and the property all being on one level, none of these stupid little steps everywhere, Not a chance.

Last couple of weeks I have had my family here with a little one it was bad enough with a buggy.

We went to a few restaurants and there you notice how difficult it would be with a wheel chair, one place we went to the ramp was so steep it was easier to carry the buggy up the steps as for the toilet forget it, it's up the side of the hill but at least they had a handrail.

There is no industry standards and regulations here, as for fire regulations how would you be able to evacuate in a wheelchair, We have an apartment and one glaring problem is the fire doors open in, that's just a start with.

I did read an article a while ago and catering for people with disabilities in the hospitality industry is huge, not happening in Thailand. 

about a year ago I was opening up an account at a Thai bank. And a guy in a wheel chair was there beside me. After talking a while I asked him how hard was it to get around. He smiled and looked at the two ladys accompanying him. Pretty happy camper.

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thailand is one the last country on earth that is physically challenged friendly, they have a long, long way to go to even start make this country accessible for that segment of tourism.

I often wondered when living in Bangkok about what is Thailand really like as a place to retire due to being seemingly such a difficult place for anyone with limited mobility.

Meanwhile on Thepprasit Road, Pattaya they are building what looks like a small wall in the middle of the road. I saw and elderly Thai lady having problems stepping over it.  Wheel chair uses would have no chance. They would have to go to a break in the "wall" which could be over hundred meters or more.

I see a great opportunity for someone to get millions of followers on TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels by moving about in tourist areas in a wheelchair and taking taking and posting short videos daily illustrating the obstacles being encountered on pedestrian pavements and road crossings.

On second thought, leave out the road crossings if you value your life. Just stay kerbside and video the experience of able-bodied people using pedestrian crossings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2023 at 12:51 PM, JimTripper said:

I don't think I could make it in Asia if I were physically disabled if I were solo. The mobility issues are just too great.

Downtown Bangkok would likely be my first choice as it has sidewalks in most places downtown and food and necessities streetside. If your in a smaller town and your chair breaks down or something, your stuck without being near someplace that could repair it or where you could buy another. If something happened you want to be nearby food, banks, etc without having to travel very far.

Not all of Asia, but Thailand is really impossible. 

In Hong Kong, Singapore or Japan disabled people are a really frequent sight but in Thailand there seems to be some kind of stigma to them going out as well as the faact that almost nowhere caters for them.  My wife recently broke her leg very badly in Hong Kong, she needed surgery and was confined to a wheelchair for 3 months.  In Hong Kong the pavements are not too good and it is very hilly so some places were quite aa struggle.  However, with some effort and planning we were able to get pretty much anywhere.  Shopping centres, subway stops, offices (government or private), parks, cinemas, Disneyland, Ocean park etc etc all have lifts and ramps to cope with wheelchairs.  Many busses and taxis are adapted for wheelchairs.  Restaurants and most other locations are geared up for the disabled and very often as soon as you appear there are people turning up to direct or help you.

On returning to Thailand there is none of that and luckily we have a car and she was able to walk short distances with a stick by then or she would have been very restricted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Not all of Asia, but Thailand is really impossible. 

In Hong Kong, Singapore or Japan disabled people are a really frequent sight but in Thailand there seems to be some kind of stigma to them going out as well as the faact that almost nowhere caters for them.  My wife recently broke her leg very badly in Hong Kong, she needed surgery and was confined to a wheelchair for 3 months.  In Hong Kong the pavements are not too good and it is very hilly so some places were quite aa struggle.  However, with some effort and planning we were able to get pretty much anywhere.  Shopping centres, subway stops, offices (government or private), parks, cinemas, Disneyland, Ocean park etc etc all have lifts and ramps to cope with wheelchairs.  Many busses and taxis are adapted for wheelchairs.  Restaurants and most other locations are geared up for the disabled and very often as soon as you appear there are people turning up to direct or help you.

On returning to Thailand there is none of that and luckily we have a car and she was able to walk short distances with a stick by then or she would have been very restricted.

I have noticed that in Thailand as well. I don’t see disabled out in public. They must exist just like other countries. Do they just sit at home??? Not sure.

• Thanks 2

On 5/31/2023 at 2:27 PM, JimTripper said:

There is a guy who does it in Jomtein Pattaya. I see him eating at a cafe around breakfast. Has an electric wheel chair, paraplegic I think. Has one of those notepads in front, so little use of arms, not sure.

so it CAN be done, you just get a room like in one of the view talays with a big elevator near the Main Street and use restaurants nearby. Beach is there with wide sidewalk, bars are there, foods there, immigration is there.

he looks stuck in that one area, but That could be better then his alternatives if he is low on money. Much better then being in the USA for example at a boarding house in a big city, which can be pretty bad if your low income.

the question is getting situated over here and getting settled in. In a worse case scenario I could see hiring a bargirl somewhere for assistance finding a place and with whatever else as needed.

the other concern is if something weird happens you’re kind of vulnerable. Like a bank problem, visa run, medical problem or something where it’s not easy to just get up move quickly. There’s no center for the disabled or support services that can step in (as far as I know).

there are also guys in walkers in Jomtein and much older guys that are not very mobile, so it would be possible to find a support system with friends around there.

Bangkok is pretty crap, planning, public transport and access for disabled is appalling, well behind other nations.

I don't consider myself disabled, I dont own a wheelchair or any aid, but have occasional mobility issues .. some things are generally OK in Thailand.

If i'm having a bad day, I can be selective on where I go and what I do. Things can be taken slowly here, life is more relaxed, and with the overstaffing at most shops and attractions there is always someone to advise or assist. Obviously if you are in a wheelchair you are going to have difficulty visiting some attractions, but I can see some effort is made, such as slopes to replace steps.

Even at my immigration office, it would be impossible for a person who couldn't walk to attend the main office as they have no lift but they do have a bell on a lower level and an officer will come down and deal with you in the lobby. I was feeling lazy one time and waited downstairs while my wife went upstairs to hand in some papers, the officer came down to explain something I already knew. I could have walked up the stairs if I wanted to, the stairs at KKC bus station are really steep tho, I was just on the phone downstairs getting ready to go up. I thought that was a nice touch.

I don't have a disabled badge on my truck, but I never have problem speaking to the security guard and getting a priority parking space without any discussion or assessment, a lot of shops (like the huge DIY megastores) provide wheelchairs if needed and the service is excellent, there is no delay, someone is on the radio to control, a wheelchair provided along with an offer of a staff member to push you around even when its never needed. The airlines have quite a good free service when booked in advance, they will upgrade your seat, hold back other passengers and get you on board first - even if it means holding the passengers in the departure lounge for 10 mins for you to climb the steps.

On a local level, I can afford to live in my own place that I designed to meet my current needs and I hope in the future, I am not going to be stuck in some sheltered housing. I can go to 7-11 on my bike, and park 2m from the door without troubling anyone.

My best mate in the UK died of a progressive illness before we made it to 40 , he was given a disabled badge for his car but had difficulty in getting a disabled bay outside his house because the house he bought when he was healthy, was on a busy residential street. After finally being granted a space he would often find the bay occupied by others, his wife would have to knock on neighbors door or the police called only to find a selfish driver doing their shopping. I wouldn't want to deal with this.

I know the points I have mentioned maybe small, maybe they are offensive to registered disabled who have no choice, and I don't have enough experience to compare. As you say, it CAN be done. Thai people here don't quite understand disability, but they generally will go above and beyond to assist because its the way they would assist older people who they have greater respect for (I know its not always about assistance, its about living the same life as an able bodied person) - I would rather be here, doing my own thing, than being dumped in sheltered housing, with rules and regulations to assist me with no real assistance in my home country.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 5:27 PM, roger101 said:

They would have to go to a break in the "wall" which could be over hundred meters or more.

I suspect  a few will be made.. seems to happen with impromptu U-Turns on major roads.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, recom273 said:

Bangkok is pretty crap, planning, public transport and access for disabled is appalling, well behind other nations.

I don't consider myself disabled, I dont own a wheelchair or any aid, but have occasional mobility issues .. some things are generally OK in Thailand.

If i'm having a bad day, I can be selective on where I go and what I do. Things can be taken slowly here, life is more relaxed, and with the overstaffing at most shops and attractions there is always someone to advise or assist. Obviously if you are in a wheelchair you are going to have difficulty visiting some attractions, but I can see some effort is made, such as slopes to replace steps.

Even at my immigration office, it would be impossible for a person who couldn't walk to attend the main office as they have no lift but they do have a bell on a lower level and an officer will come down and deal with you in the lobby. I was feeling lazy one time and waited downstairs while my wife went upstairs to hand in some papers, the officer came down to explain something I already knew. I could have walked up the stairs if I wanted to, the stairs at KKC bus station are really steep tho, I was just on the phone downstairs getting ready to go up. I thought that was a nice touch.

I don't have a disabled badge on my truck, but I never have problem speaking to the security guard and getting a priority parking space without any discussion or assessment, a lot of shops (like the huge DIY megastores) provide wheelchairs if needed and the service is excellent, there is no delay, someone is on the radio to control, a wheelchair provided along with an offer of a staff member to push you around even when its never needed. The airlines have quite a good free service when booked in advance, they will upgrade your seat, hold back other passengers and get you on board first - even if it means holding the passengers in the departure lounge for 10 mins for you to climb the steps.

On a local level, I can afford to live in my own place that I designed to meet my current needs and I hope in the future, I am not going to be stuck in some sheltered housing. I can go to 7-11 on my bike, and park 2m from the door without troubling anyone.

My best mate in the UK died of a progressive illness before we made it to 40 , he was given a disabled badge for his car but had difficulty in getting a disabled bay outside his house because the house he bought when he was healthy, was on a busy residential street. After finally being granted a space he would often find the bay occupied by others, his wife would have to knock on neighbors door or the police called only to find a selfish driver doing their shopping. I wouldn't want to deal with this.

I know the points I have mentioned maybe small, maybe they are offensive to registered disabled who have no choice, and I don't have enough experience to compare. As you say, it CAN be done. Thai people here don't quite understand disability, but they generally will go above and beyond to assist because its the way they would assist older people who they have greater respect for (I know its not always about assistance, its about living the same life as an able bodied person) - I would rather be here, doing my own thing, than being dumped in sheltered housing, with rules and regulations to assist me with no real assistance in my home country.

I spent most of my life in the construction industry doing some really high end jobs, 5 star hotels, shopping centers mainly on the finishing work, I would say Thailand has a long way to go to being anywhere near compliant with any rules and regulations, 

I've seen some of these so called ramps you would need a hoist to get up them, In my own house we step down into the bathrooms and where I live we have no pavements you would be in the road with a wheel chair,

The list of alterations you would have to do would be endless, I don't see it happening,

I have some apartments they made some attempt by having a ramp at the main entrance which is not to steep but that's where it stops maybe you would just get a wheel chair the door in the apartment but that would be it, 

Then you have to consider fire regulations for disabled people we have fire doors that open in, they should always open out, Think about all the swimming pools have you ever seen one disabled friendly?