Fiber PPoE question

MJCM

3Bb is unwilling to put my Fiber modem/router into bridge mode.

So suppose I can find the PPoE password can I then use a device like this

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/tp-link/gigabit-wdm-media-converter-tl-fc311b-2-p057339/

to plug in the Fiber from 3BB and then connect it to my own router (Pfsense) and thus I can put the 3Bb router into the “round archive” ????

would that work?? Or ….

Edited by MJCM

The way we've done it is to set our router WAN to a specific IP address in the same subnet as the ToT (in our case) router's LAN ports. Our router WAN is 192.168.11.2 the ToT LAN router is 192.168.11.254

Plug our router WAN into one of the LAN ports of Mr ToT.

At this point you should be able to access the internet from the LAN side of your router (on the default 192.168.1.xxx subnet).

Then on the ToT (3BB) router put your router's WAN address in the DMZ.

Although it has a double-NAT it does allow access from outside like bridge-mode would. It's not ideal but as needs must.

• Like 1

Thx, but That is the way I already have it but I want to get rid of Double Nat

3bb - 192.168.1.0/24

lan - 10.0.0.0/24

and another reason I just don’t trust ISP routers, I recently found out that the ToT router in our old house has ports open and there I have a Public Ip (not CGNAT like 3BB) and they also don’t want to put it in Bridge mode ????

not a real issue in the old house for now as it only serves wifi to my BIL and nothing else is connected 

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MJCM said:

3Bb is unwilling to put my Fiber modem/router into bridge mode.

Have you asked them why?

It seems some devices from some providers don't work in bridge-mode, even if it is an option in the menu.

My provider, TRUE, supplied me with a different device which does support bridge more. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Have you asked them why?

It seems some devices from some providers don't work in bridge-mode, even if it is an option in the menu.

My provider, TRUE, supplied me with a different device which does support bridge more. 

I have asked them over the two years we have them at least a dozen times and they always refused. No reason given. We even tried to bribe the techie but to na avail. 

edit: they can just givr me a ONT and the ppoe username and pwd and I will do it myself. That is why the OP. 

Don’t want to wait any longer. ????

Edited by MJCM

Oke coming back to my original question.

will that device I linked to in the OP convert the 3BB Fiber signal to Ethernet or is there another device I need to buy.

its just a test if it works ???? if not ????

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is IMHO not a reason to don’t give bridge mode.

AFAIK when the ISP router is in Bridge mode, the router ceases to be a router and is just a converter from Fiber to Ethernet. After that your own router (in my case a pfsense router) will do all the work.

So if their device doesn’t work in Bridge (most certainly possible) just give the user a device that converts Fiber -> Ethernet and the PPoE username and password :thumbsup:

just a rant sorry :blush:

Edited by MJCM

That is so weird .. I have a 3BB ONT .. you can just plug that into your pfsense router. Just ask them for one. Its a Huawei EG8010H (I think that's what it is but too lazy to get up and check).

When they had some issues configuring the ONT, they gave me a GPON router and put it into bridge mode .. no questions asked, no bribes necessary. They also bought two different GPON because they were sure it was a hardware issue. 

Unifi are offering a fibre GPON - its about $45 in the states, im sure its not available here, it may work or may not work with Thai ISP, but time will tell.

15 minutes ago, recom273 said:

That is so weird .. I have a 3BB ONT .. you can just plug that into your pfsense router. Just ask them for one. Its a Huawei EG8010H (I think that's what it is but too lazy to get up and check).

????

Have you read my previous post where I mentioned that I am already asking this for over 2 years.

We have called them

We have visited their service center

and we even tried to “bribe” their techie.

zilch nada zero result 

???? that it is working for you

So that is why I want to try the workaround from post #1

edit: if it was that easy for me to get Bridge mode I wouldn’t had to open this topic to ask if my workaround (from post #1) will work

Edited by MJCM

51 minutes ago, MJCM said:

????

Have you read my previous post where I mentioned that I am already asking this for over 2 years.

We have called them

We have visited their service center

and we even tried to “bribe” their techie.

zilch nada zero result 

???? that it is working for you

So that is why I want to try the workaround from post #1

edit: if it was that easy for me to get Bridge mode I wouldn’t had to open this topic to ask if my workaround (from post #1) will work

Of course I read the post.

Why cant you put it into bridge mode yourself? The PPoE credentials come taped to the router box on the initial install, you can request them from 3BB, they dont give them immediately any more, because of security concerns, but they send them via SMS after ID check. 

Why not try the TP-link ONT - but I would ask them for the Huawei ONT I suggested first.

10 hours ago, recom273 said:

Why cant you put it into bridge mode yourself? The PPoE credentials come taped to the router box on the initial install,

Nope, no credentials to be found, and I asked for them but they are not willing to give them.

I am stuck with 3BB as that is the only provider in the area. Other option is 4/5G

edit: next week I am going to ask again and also ask (you can try) to get a public ip address. But will also buy that Tplink device and try

Edited by MJCM

28 minutes ago, treetops said:

Is the username "admin"?

no that is the username of the router login page NOT PPoE. 

The PPoE username you find under WAN connection settings.

Edited by MJCM
Typo

4 hours ago, muratremix said:

3BB in Koh Samui was using ONT while in Phuket they don't use it. I'm using their black router (AC 1200) in Bridge mode, that I set up myself for a long long time. No problems at all.

How did you get the PPoE pwd? Was that attached to the box of the Router by any chance?

In my case I don't have the PPoE pwd and they won't give it to me. I have no idea why in our case they don't want to set the Router in Bridge (or "bit" as they like to say it) mode.

When I get home will go and ask again (for the x time) and see what it brings. Providers I can't change as they are the only one in the Area.

On 6/4/2023 at 12:31 PM, MJCM said:

How did you get the PPoE pwd? Was that attached to the box of the Router by any chance?

In my case I don't have the PPoE pwd and they won't give it to me. I have no idea why in our case they don't want to set the Router in Bridge (or "bit" as they like to say it) mode.

When I get home will go and ask again (for the x time) and see what it brings. Providers I can't change as they are the only one in the Area.

ppoe username/password is written on the 3BB contract (A4 paper). I always get it when they install to my new location ????

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, muratremix said:

ppoe username/password is written on the 3BB contract (A4 paper). I always get it when they install to my new location ????

We looked everywhere but we don’t have that.

They, when they installed it, didn’t even give us a box just did the install and left.

Seems weird they won't allow it. When 3BB  first installed fibre to my home here in Samui, I asked them to put their router in Bridge mode and use my Asus RT AC86U as my main router. They did it willingly. Sent a tech out to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Seems weird they won't allow it. When 3BB  first installed fibre to my home here in Samui, I asked them to put their router in Bridge mode and use my Asus RT AC86U as my main router. They did it willingly. Sent a tech out to do it.

Yes that is my thought as well, if we asked only once then oke, but I guess in the over 2 years we have it installed we asked around a dozen times.

ToT is also difficult in our old house regarding Bridge mode, but when I asked for their DDNS service, they said I can get a private ip address which I gladly accepted.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

We looked everywhere but we don’t have that.

They, when they installed it, didn’t even give us a box just did the install and left.

Your router login details are on the bottom plate.

When you login to to the router and go to Network / Broadband settings, it will show your username.

Using Firefox.

Highlight the password and right click, and it will show "reveal password".

image.png.7b50827a459b1d47e5cd9b7ad67dea90.png

Edited by BenStark

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Your router login details are on the bottom plate.

When you login to to the router and go to Network / Broadband settings, it will show your username.

Using Firefox.

Highlight the password and right click, and it will show "reveal password".

image.png.7b50827a459b1d47e5cd9b7ad67dea90.png

Router Login Password I have that because as you say they are on the Bottom Plate of the Router.

My Firefox doesn't show "Reveal Password" which addon did you install to get that.

But another question, enough on how to get the PPoE password / username.

If I have them and set the Router to Bridge Mode WITHOUT consent from 3BB. What will happen then, because when they check the Router and the Router is in Bridge Mode they can't access the Router anymore.

Possible Consequences ??

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Router Login Password I have that because as you say they are on the Bottom Plate of the Router.

My Firefox doesn't show "Reveal Password" which addon did you install to get that.

These are all extensions I have 

image.png.875b5bbdb0bd6b4b0ccce62858777c8c.png

Edit to add : I just went to my Firefox settings / privacy and selected show saved passwords, and there username and password is also listed, and you just click on the 'eye' to reveal it

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Edit to add : I just went to my Firefox settings / privacy and selected show saved passwords, and there username and password is also listed, and you just click on the 'eye' to reveal it

Thx but to do that FF first has to save it AFAIK ????

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

But another question, enough on how to get the PPoE password / username.

If I have them and set the Router to Bridge Mode WITHOUT consent from 3BB. What will happen then, because when they check the Router and the Router is in Bridge Mode they can't access the Router anymore.

Possible Consequences ??

Why would there be any consequences? 

The signal from the WAN passes to the ONT, which is then converted and travels down the ethernet cable, as soon as it does that, it's in your network. Any outgoing from your network joins 3BB network at the ONT. I think the fact that they cannot connect to the router is very important, I have heard from people on AIS that the ISP can directly access the supplied router, and another post here that 3BB put his supplied router into Bridge mode remotely. like wt?

I have nothing to hide in my router, my router works faster that theirs and its just VLAN, firewall rules and a reverse proxy on one forwarded port, but its none of the ISPs business, and I wouldn't want things failing because of some OTA update or reset.

• Thanks 1

thx for the explanation.

Whenever we have a problem with the internet they login and check the router.

I once called them and said we have problem (which in fact wasn’t the case) and they rebooted their router for me.

So yes they have access to it and that is why I want them “gone”.

Edited by MJCM
Changed the to their

Update

my wife was out shopping and came across a 3BB “stall” and asked about “bit mode”. The girl asked her for the 3BB number and she then printed out a piece of paper with the username and pwd so suc6 ????????????????????????

Now only have to test it

1497924666_2023-06-1514-57-08.jpeg.40fdc1e74bf8afd623faffcc42f7dc20.jpeg

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 2