Tom Tom to Google Maps?

Let me start by saying that I'm  not interested in people's opinion on Chinese cars, it's been done to death. This is purely about navigation apps.

My MG Extender came with the Tom-Tom navigation app preloaded. I really can't get on with it. I find Google maps much easier to use. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove Tom-Tom from the infotainment system, and load up Google Maps.

• Haha 1

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, maybe that's a possibility, but I'd really like to have Google maps as the default navigator, loaded directly into the car's system, if that's possible.

Does anyone use Tom Tom in Thailand? What's your experience with it?

2 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, maybe that's a possibility, but I'd really like to have Google maps as the default navigator, loaded directly into the car's system, if that's possible.

I used to use Tom Tom when I first came to Thailand but found that their maps were rarely updated, which I've also found with google maps, so switched to garmin, but not in the cars console. I just plug the garmin into the cigarette lighter.

2 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

Thanks for your advice.

Not a fan of Tom Tom, as having MG also.   Same as Tiger & Dog thoughts, find their maps not updated, missing quite a bit.  Like TT graphic and speed camera warning, but that's about it.  Drive the speed limit, so no need for tha info.

Use Gmaps exclusively, if needing, when driving.

• Like 1

The ability to remove preloaded applications and load different ones onto an infotainment system can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. In the case of your MG Extender, it's best to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer or dealership for detailed instructions on how to remove the TomTom navigation app and install Google Maps.

While some infotainment systems may offer options to install third-party applications or provide updates to the existing software, others may have limitations or restrictions that prevent the removal or replacement of preloaded apps. The manufacturer or dealership will have the most accurate information regarding the capabilities of your specific infotainment system and any available updates or modifications.

It's also worth noting that even if it's not possible to remove TomTom and install Google Maps directly on the infotainment system, you may still be able to use Google Maps through alternative means. For example, you could connect your smartphone to the infotainment system via Bluetooth or a USB cable and use the phone's screen mirroring feature or Android Auto/Apple CarPlay functionality, if supported, to access Google Maps on the car's display.

Again, contacting the manufacturer or dealership for assistance will provide you with the most accurate guidance tailored to your MG Extender's infotainment system.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, csmith said:

The ability to remove preloaded applications and load different ones onto an infotainment system can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. In the case of your MG Extender, it's best to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer or dealership for detailed instructions on how to remove the TomTom navigation app and install Google Maps.

While some infotainment systems may offer options to install third-party applications or provide updates to the existing software, others may have limitations or restrictions that prevent the removal or replacement of preloaded apps. The manufacturer or dealership will have the most accurate information regarding the capabilities of your specific infotainment system and any available updates or modifications.

It's also worth noting that even if it's not possible to remove TomTom and install Google Maps directly on the infotainment system, you may still be able to use Google Maps through alternative means. For example, you could connect your smartphone to the infotainment system via Bluetooth or a USB cable and use the phone's screen mirroring feature or Android Auto/Apple CarPlay functionality, if supported, to access Google Maps on the car's display.

Again, contacting the manufacturer or dealership for assistance will provide you with the most accurate guidance tailored to your MG Extender's infotainment system.

It's unlikely that you can uninstall preloaded apps as they're in firmware but you can just ignore them  and do as others have suggested and use Google Maps via Bluetooth (or cable if necessary).

Very slightly :offtopic2:  as it concerns a Toyota rather than an MG but the same principles apply and I've found that to keep the maps database updated on an in-car system is very expensive and / or time-consuming and of course, the update is only current for a few days. Whereas,  Google Maps is about as current as it gets and is constantly being updated. I've found it to be far more "user-friendly" that most in-car systems too.

For notification of speed traps and other hazards, try "Waze" which actually draws on Google Maps for its information.

As regards the manual being in Thai, have you tried the MG website for an English version?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

you got it on your phone. So where is the problem? Get a phone holder and up you go. Not difficult, I think.

Ha. 

I kid you not .... today went alone via car to Land Transport office and found it clumbsy to look to my Google maps directions with Assistant voice..it was sitting on passenger seat.

Just now asked gf to look for a phone holder for car dash tomorrow.

The OP is making simple difficult. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ha. 

I kid you not .... today went alone via car to Land Transport office and found it clumbsy to look to my Google maps directions with Assistant voice..

Just now asked gf to look for a phone holder for car dash tomorrow.

The OP is making simple difficult. 

Not at all.

I currently use Google maps on my phone, in the car. I just wanted to know if it was possible to replace the existing Tom Tom app on my infotainment system, with the Google maps app.

If I can't, I'll just carry on using G maps from my phone.

The screen in my MG is huge. It'll be much easier to look at that, rather than a mobile phone screen.

Edited by jaiyenyen
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/1/2023 at 8:53 AM, TigerandDog said:

I used to use Tom Tom when I first came to Thailand but found that their maps were rarely updated, which I've also found with google maps, so switched to garmin, but not in the cars console. I just plug the garmin into the cigarette lighter.

I like Garmin a lot, so I also have dashtop units in my Ranger and my wife's Focus.  But I hate cables draped over the dashboard...very unsightly.  So, we take our new cars to Driver Sound at Future Park and in an hour or two, out GPSs and dash cameras have wires run behind the dash. Power up when the vehicle is started and turned off when it's shut down.  Reasonable cost; skillful work.

I have used Android Auto and just use google maps that way on my 2021 MG ZS, though I still don't like it, as the display isn't high enough on the dash. I prefer to have the Google maps running on my phone up in my field of vision (Usually just above the dash up against the A-pilar), especially while driving here in Thailand where you have no luxury to look away from the road for even a second.

• Like 1