AIS Voice and SMS Abroad

MartinL

I'm going to UK for 2 weeks in June. 

I want to be able to receive voice calls and SMS messages - no data needed - while I'm there for possible banking and card payment use.

There won't be a lot of use.

Phone is set-up for 'Automatic network selection'.

Have I got the procedure correct for postpaid AIS service?

- call ** 125 ** to subscribe to International Roaming.

- make and receive calls and SMS as needed abroad, charged at published rates.

- no 'package' necessary for voice and SMS.

Is it really that simple? This'll be my first time using AIS overseas and I can't believe how easy it seems.

Last  time I paid by card in UK, there was no such thing as passcodes via phone to make payments so a phone wasn't necessary. Now it seems to be essential.

Edited by MartinL

If PostPaid; *125*1# and then the dial key. Will be activated within 30 minutes, as long as you’ve had the SIM for more than four months. 
When you are leaving, disable data at the source by tapping in *129*1# and then the dial key. That way there can be no accidental mobile data usage when using the phone for just calls and SMS. WiFi will continue to work normally. 
When you want to use mobile data again; *129*2# and then the dial key. Easy. 

16 minutes ago, NextG said:

If PostPaid; *125*1# and then the dial key. Will be activated within 30 minutes, as long as you’ve had the SIM for more than four months. 
When you are leaving, disable data at the source by tapping in *129*1# and then the dial key. That way there can be no accidental mobile data usage when using the phone for just calls and SMS. WiFi will continue to work normally. 
When you want to use mobile data again; *129*2# and then the dial key. Easy. 

Thanks, NextG.

So it really is so simple. 

Since asking my question, I've found out that it can also be activated via the app.

Log-in > More (bottom RHS of screen) > Service > Int'l Service > can switch on/off Int'l Roaming and Int'l Calls.

International Calls are calls from Thailand. 
Check if the International Roaming function works now. Don’t leave it until the last minute and don’t ignore my advice with regard to turning mobile data off at the source. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1