Police Say Fake Monks From Thailand Preying On Singaporeans

george

Police say fake monks from Thailand preying on Singaporeans

SINGAPORE: -- Bogus monks and nuns from Thailand have been collecting alms from Singaporeans and evading police by making speedy getaways, The Sunday Times reported.

Numbering as many as 100, they take refuge in a four-storey hotel in the red-light district of Geyland.

Arriving on social visit passes, they do religious robes in the morning and make their rounds, the newspaper said. Many then shed their robes and emerge in civilian clothing, heading for nearby coffee shops.

A large group made a quick exit after police were seen near their lodgings. After exchanging Singapore currency for Thai baht, they boarded coaches headed for Malaysia.

--DPA 2007-07-08

• 2 months later...

SINGAPORE: -- Bogus monks and nuns from Thailand have been collecting alms from Singaporeans and evading police by making speedy getaways, The Sunday Times reported.

Numbering as many as 100, they take refuge in a four-storey hotel in the red-light district of Geyland.

Arriving on social visit passes, they do religious robes in the morning and make their rounds, the newspaper said. Many then shed their robes and emerge in civilian clothing, heading for nearby coffee shops.

A large group made a quick exit after police were seen near their lodgings. After exchanging Singapore currency for Thai baht, they boarded coaches headed for Malaysia.

--DPA 2007-07-08

You won't believe it. They actually ask for money. Unlike real monks, they will not walk around asking for money donation. They will stand still waiting for people to offer them donation.. any forms. And for all i know, the real monks will stand as far as they can when there are ladies around. Whereas the bogus monks, they are just not bother.

--DPA 2007-07-08

:o sly, shameless, dogs.

:o sly, shameless, dogs.

Amended to protect the honour of canines;

sly, shameless, humans.

(Sorry, but there's a monk I know that has the biggest heart and looks after some dogs, and he'd give you a sad frown if he saw this.)

Well, I was going to say "shameless, sly foxes" but that would have been giving them too much credit.

What a coincidence - I was talking about this with a colleage in the taxi on the way to a hospital earlier today.

We were talking about all the maroon robed buddhists around Singapore this week when the conversation went to fake monks seeking money and selling trinkets.

She says her mother is being taken in by Burmese monks but I mentioned the fake thai monks which I see a lot of.

They collect alms from women, they push bowls in faces while people are eating, this can be any time of day.

If I pop along to Golden Mile I always see monks in their robes having a fag and remitting money back to Thailand.

I have seen them at bus stop obviously with girls and on their way somewhere together with groceries to cook - oh and having a fag.

I'm wondering whether this thread belongs in the Buddhist forum.

take it up with george

why

Because he is best qualified to answer your question.

why are you wondering whether this thread belongs in the Buddhist forum ? seems like the logical choice to me.

I'm wondering whether this thread belongs in the Buddhist forum.

take it up with george

why

Because he is best qualified to answer your question.

why are you wondering whether this thread belongs in the Buddhist forum ? seems like the logical choice to me.

Maybe a topic about fake monks belongs in the fake Buddhism forum. What does fake Buddhism have to do with Buddhism....not much in my view. So...what should we discuss....should we discuss the tenets of this fake Buddhism.....do they have Four Fake Noble Truths....and do they have the Noble Fake Eightfold Path? Do these fake Buddhist monks hold no doctrine of their fake selves?

I don't get it.

Maybe a topic about fake monks belongs in the fake Buddhism forum. What does fake Buddhism have to do with Buddhism....not much in my view. So...what should we discuss....should we discuss the tenets of this fake Buddhism.....do they have Four Fake Noble Truths....and do they have the Noble Fake Eightfold Path? Do these fake Buddhist monks hold no doctrine of their fake selves?

I don't get it.

:o

almost had me there for a sec :D