New To Golf In Thailand

JaySee

I'm heading out to Thailand in September, and i'm going to be there for six months doing some travelling around. I'm going to miss my golf immensely, so i would like to get a few games in while i'm away, i just have a couple of questions:

1) what's the general proceedure with most clubs with regard to club hire, booking tee times etc. do i need to give a lot of notice, or can i just show up and do they accept single players?

2) is it easy to meet up with other golfers looking for a game? Is there a golf buddy finder like we have here in the UK where you can contact other players in the area? Or is it best to just post a "want to play?" topic on here?

3) are there any golf societies or groups of regular players around the Pataya area which i might be able to play with as i will be living near Pataya for a while?

4) what is the dress code for courses in Thailand? Can i hire shoes or will i need to buy my own? What are the standard of the rental clubs?

5) Are handicap cards required? I play off 8, but i am not currently a member of any club in the UK, will this be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses and i hope to see you out on the course some time soon : )

John

I'm heading out to Thailand in September, and i'm going to be there for six months doing some travelling around. I'm going to miss my golf immensely, so i would like to get a few games in while i'm away, i just have a couple of questions:

1) what's the general proceedure with most clubs with regard to club hire, booking tee times etc. do i need to give a lot of notice, or can i just show up and do they accept single players?

Most, if not all, clubs have golf clubs for hire, just tell them you need clubs when you pay your green fee. Some clubs allow single players to play alone on slow days. Most of the time you can show up alone and the starter will pair you up with another group. November to March can be very busy, best to go with one of the several golf groups playing out of Pattaya everyday.

2) is it easy to meet up with other golfers looking for a game? Is there a golf buddy finder like we have here in the UK where you can contact other players in the area? Or is it best to just post a "want to play?" topic on here?

Several of the bars in Pattaya organizes golf trips several days of the week. Usually you meet up at the bar 8-10 in the morning and transport is arranged. Some groups require you to sign up a day before. Check out Pattaya Sports Club's or Pattaya Mail's web sites for info on groups. Join Pattaya sports club for 40-50% discount on green fees.

3) are there any golf societies or groups of regular players around the Pataya area which i might be able to play with as i will be living near Pataya for a while?

See above

4) what is the dress code for courses in Thailand? Can i hire shoes or will i need to buy my own? What are the standard of the rental clubs?

Shirt with collar, no T-shirt, decent shorts, no swim trunks or running shorts, golf shoes or trainers, no dress shoes of flip-flops. Don't think you can hire shoes, fairly cheap to by in Thailand anyway. Standard of rental clubs varies and can sometimes be mixed sets, better standard at the better clubs.

5) Are handicap cards required? I play off 8, but i am not currently a member of any club in the UK, will this be an issue?

No handicap card required, but get a membership in Pattaya Sports Club, it will pay for itself in 2 rounds of golf.

Thanks in advance for any responses and i hope to see you out on the course some time soon : )

John

Have a good round :o

Thanks for the info chaps, i'll be doing a fair bit of travelling around so i'm not keen on having to lug a pair of golf shoes around, so hopefully i'll be able to pick up cheap pairs as i go.

The only thing i'm worried about now is not taking my Pings with me, but i can't carry them and my backpack!