Thai Food now Fourth Most Popular Foreign Cuisine in China

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai food has been listed as the fourth most popular foreign cuisine in China, after western, Japanese, and Korean food. The number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand has also continued to rise, since China fully reopened the country in early 2023 to allow international travel.

Deputy Secretary-General to the Prime Minister and Acting Government Spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri cited a report in Dianping, one of the leading platforms for lifestyle services in China, which stated that the number of Thai restaurants in Beijing has increased threefold over the past three years. The restaurants serve numerous kinds of Thai food, ranging from the royal Thai kitchen style to street food, especially tom yam kung (spicy shrimp soup).

Mr. Anucha said that the popularity of Thai food in China reflects the success in promoting the country’s culinary culture, which creates more economic value, in response to the policy of “Thai Kitchen to the World.” He said that Chinese people are interested more in consuming Thai food in restaurants, and many of them also cook Thai food at home, as raw materials to prepare Thai food are now available in many areas in China.

By Adam Judd

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/03/thai-food-now-fourth-most-popular-foreign-cuisine-in-china/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-06-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Western food is the second most popular food in China? Really? Is McDonalds western food? I suppose there's a western food restaurant on every street corner which are a favourite of the masses. Please.

They do variations to suit the local cuisine and palates but it is essentially an American thing. Hence, western. 

I tried a MacDonalds burger once.....That was about 35 years ago.

Apparrently it still tastes the same since then and also tastes the same worldwide.

So I will not be going to MacDonalds again any time soon!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Western food is the second most popular food in China? Really? Is McDonalds western food? I suppose there's a western food restaurant on every street corner which are a favourite of the masses. Please.

I lived in China for a year and yes indeed western food is available. Obviously the well known fast food outlets are ubiquitous there. (with growing waistlines to match) but there are plenty of others too which are popular amongst the more discerning Chinese. And western expats too, of which there are more than you might think.

My favourite was the Habsburg Grill in Zhuhai and my Chinese girlfriend loved going there too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai food has been listed as the fourth most popular foreign cuisine in China, after western, Japanese, and Korean food.

In the same gastronomically ignorant spirit as the OP, may I re-draft the positions :

1) Western food

2) Asian food

• Haha 1