Postman faces 200,000 baht baht bill for lost parcel

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

his device for recording parcel data malfunctioned due to sweat dripping onto the screen, causing the package to be marked as received without actually having been delivered, Sanook reported.

always a denial. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

However, at the time, his device for recording parcel data malfunctioned due to sweat dripping onto the screen, causing the package to be marked as received without actually having been delivered, Sanook reported.

Yeah of course it did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stoner said:

always a denial. 

I asked my new local postal delivery man why this year I hadn't received a single monthly bill from AiS, the previous delivery guy always delivered on time before the due date.

He shrugged his shoulders saying he never saw the letters.

Last week one of the maids that clean the apartments came to my door on the fourth floor and gave me a bill from AiS.

She said she was looking through the bins outside for plastic to recycle and found it in the rubbish.

• Haha 1

I don't think our postman can read.

We get mail for the right number but wrong soi, other people get our mail (presumably right number wrong soi), sometimes they think to drop it off, but it's usually weeks late.

• Like 2

EMS works well most of the time but for the last year or so nothing ever gets signed for on Tracked International Post.  I asked my Postie why and he said since they removed the Paper Signing Sheet and replaced it with the 'Device' nobody can be bothered as half the time they are defective.   Not hard to believe is it !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Break Failure !!!!!.... 

BUT...  IF postie actually is innocent... isn’t there insurance for this sort of thing ?... 

And then, isn’t it up to the insurance company to investigate and check for theft / fraudulent activity ?

Of course - IF the parcel is insured in the first place?... but isn’t that down to the ‘sender or recipient’ and its their risk if they do not have the parcel insured. 

You would be foolish to send a package worth 200,000 baht, or have it sent, and not have it insured. This is especially true for Thailand, where many valuable items sent by post seem to magically disappear. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

EMS works well most of the time but for the last year or so nothing ever gets signed for on Tracked International Post.  I asked my Postie why and he said since they removed the Paper Signing Sheet and replaced it with the 'Device' nobody can be bothered as half the time they are defective.   Not hard to believe is it !

No its not, I used one of those scanners every day a few years back and they do malfuction a lot. Freezing and flat batteries are the main problems.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myran said:

"his device for recording parcel data malfunctioned due to sweat dripping onto the screen, causing the package to be marked as received without actually having been delivered"

????

My dog ate my postal scanning device....  ????

I get registered mail frequently and at the time of writing I have never signed for it when I come home it’s either in the post box or pushed under the gate and sometimes it’s wet go to the local Post office to complain and they just look at you with a blank expression 

39 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

No its not, I used one of those scanners every day a few years back and they do malfuction a lot. Freezing and flat batteries are the main problems.

It's called progress. The old way always worked, the new way doesn't. This particular example is not alone in the new way not being as efficient or reliable as the old of course, but that's the way the world is going.

All over Europe there are buildings that stood for hundreds of years, or machinery that has worked since the 1800s. How many buildings and machines built today will still be there in 2223?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's called progress. The old way always worked, the new way doesn't. This particular example is not alone in the new way not being as efficient or reliable as the old of course, but that's the way the world is going.

All over Europe there are buildings that stood for hundreds of years, or machinery that has worked since the 1800s. How many buildings and machines built today will still be there in 2223?

Totally agree - did you see my posts on the coming 'cashless society'?

All this stuff is supposed to save time but in my experience, when things go wrong you lose more time than you ever gained.  A couple of years back I spent a whole afternoon trying to book a hotel and flight but nothing would work - minutes normally.  Tech failures can cause massive problems and the interlinking of almost everything these days leaves lye to a potential catastrophe.

There are also 'green issues'.  Few people will appreciate the massive amount of power the internet consumes - cloud servers especially.  I can't speak for Thailand but in the UK, if things continue as they are and the government does ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035, its extremely unlikely that we will be able to generate enough electricity yet the cloud is unecessary.

The hand scanners delivery guys use have to be charged and use the internet to communicate their activity to base.

'How Much Energy Does Cloud Data Storage Use? Data centers use between 10 and 50 times as much power per floor space as a typical office building over the same period of time.'

https://www.dataversity.net/the-growing-energy-demands-of-data-storage/

5 hours ago, NotJoeMama said:

I had a parcel that was marked as delivered but never got here.  Went to the post office.  The postman came out and said he was sorry but it fell off his motorbike.  The sender required I file a complaint at the post office so I could prove it was a delivery problem.  They had me fill out a form and asked how much the product was worth.  I put 1000 baht as I had paid around 35USD.  He then said the delivery man would have to pay for it.  I was clear that I didn't care who paid as I never got the product and they marked it as delivered.  The next day the delivery guy showed up with the package which had been opened.  He said someone turned it in saying they got it by mistake but didn't know until they opened it.  Funny as he told me it fell off his bike.  The product I ordered was there and was not damaged.  All ended okay.

I had been receiving stuff from AliExpress almost every day for about a year.  I'm sure the postman was wondering what the farang kept getting.  Once he realized he was going to pay 1000 baht for some LED lights he didn't need,  they mysteriously found there way back to me. 

A close Thai friend lives in Saraburi and she has had many many things stolen over her lifetime of living there.  She won't use the post office for anything.

For 5 years I've been using Sabuy Express for parcels between Oz and Chiang Mai. They always check the contents and charge accordingly. They then shrinkwrap and despatch. Never had a problem.

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

All this stuff is supposed to save time

I've written before of how long it takes now to order at McDonalds, as I've done at Don Muang airport. Go to the big screen, choose the menu you want, choose each item, choose how to pay, choose whether to collect or have it delivered to your table. Time taken: 2 minutes. The old way: Go to counter, give order, pay. Time: 20 seconds tops. The new system most certainly isn't done for the benefit of the customer.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've written before of how long it takes now to order at McDonalds, as I've done at Don Muang airport. Go to the big screen, choose the menu you want, choose each item, choose how to pay, choose whether to collect or have it delivered to your table. Time taken: 2 minutes. The old way: Go to counter, give order, pay. Time: 20 seconds tops. The new system most certainly isn't done for the benefit of the customer.

It's of benefit to the costumer if the queue is longer than 2mins !!!... 

Edited by richard_smith237

5 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Don't use the post office for anything. So much gets stolen by staff.

We use it for very little, most stuff is email pdf paper free, but there are somethings that still come in the post.

19 hours ago, Myran said:

"his device for recording parcel data malfunctioned due to sweat dripping onto the screen, causing the package to be marked as received without actually having been delivered"

????

...he's sweating profusely now

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Break Failure !!!!!.... 

BUT...  IF postie actually is innocent... isn’t there insurance for this sort of thing ?... 

And then, isn’t it up to the insurance company to investigate and check for theft / fraudulent activity ?

Of course - IF the parcel is insured in the first place?... but isn’t that down to the ‘sender or recipient’ and its their risk if they do not have the parcel insured. 

I would think the Post Office would have insurance to cover this sort of issue ?

On 6/6/2023 at 8:24 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I read an article last year reporting that feces was found on all the order screens that were tested.   So I don't use them. 

But that leaves the question, do the credit card machines also have feces on them?