New passort and transferring stamp at immigration

I just received a new passport and went to Hat Yai immigration to have my stamp (not a visa, just a stamp) from my old passport transferred to my new one, but they told me that I don't do this there, that it will be taken care of by immigration when I fly out from Bangkok in two days. I just have to bring both my old and new passports, the official said. He said he was completely sure that this was correct even though my embassy says to go to the local immigration office to do this. I am a bit confused and flying from Hat Yai to Bangkok tomorrow night, then Bangkok to the US in the early morning of the 8th, so just figured I'd check what folks think here. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I got a new passport last April and returned to the US in May. The immigration official is correct. The stamp from your old passport will suffice as to your entry, and then all you need is your departure stamp. 

Not really, that still does not move his permission to stay stamp.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I got a new passport last April and returned to the US in May. The immigration official is correct. The stamp from your old passport will suffice as to your entry, and then all you need is your departure stamp. 

Thanks. So you did not need to fill out and use that form (can be found here: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Transfer-Stamp-to-New-Passport-Form.pdf) to transfer the stamp from your old passport to your new one?  All you had to do was take both your old and new passport with you and pass through immigration at the airport as one normally would?

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Remembering of course that VISAS are not moved.

OK, thanks, and the form is for moving the stamp. What's your take? Do you think I need to fill out the form and go to immigration to get the stamp moved from the old passport to the new one before I pass through immigration at the airport?

US Embassy website states the following:

Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't have a visa.

You have a permission of stay.

Also you don't have a reentry permit. 

At departure the io should transfer the extension stamp stamp and stamp you out.

Obviously have both pp with you. 

I have talked with a couple of immigration officials this morning, and your information seems accurate. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Jason1921 said:

I have talked with a couple of immigration officials this morning, and your information seems accurate. Thanks.

They may also transfer your entry stamp .

Realize you have a 30 day extension however how did you enter Thailand. Visa exempt ? 

At some point in future can you update your thread with exactly what was done by IO at international departure. 

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

It doesn't need to be moved as, unless he has a re-entry permit or a multi-entry visa, his permission to stay will end when he leaves the country & when he re-enters he will get a new permission to stay in his new Passport. 

It's a different point if he does have a Re-Entry permit or Valid Multi-Entry visa but he explicitly states that he's not looking to move his visa so I'm assuming not.  

I just did this.  They DO move it now.

@ OP, you should also be able to get it done at immigration.  But they will do it at borders/airport.

I thought (as the gentleman above thought) that there would be no need to move it...but the officers stopped me at the window and had me get it moved before letting me proceed to leave the country.

This took roughly a half an hour.  Of course, the time it takes is gonna vary by where you are and how busy they are...so just plan for that time suck.

It was a 500 baht fee btw, as well.

*they asked me for letter from embassy but embassy no longer issues them and immigration is supposed to know this.  I did have a letter on hand because I got my new PP 2 days after the "no letter" rule and I begged since I knew there was a big chance of it coming up at the border.

Edited by Dart12

18 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

@ OP, you should also be able to get it done at immigration.  But they will do it at borders/airport.

I thought (as the gentleman above thought) that there would be no need to move it...but the officers stopped me at the window and had me get it moved before letting me proceed to leave the country.

This took roughly a half an hour.  Of course, the time it takes is gonna vary by where you are and how busy they are...so just plan for that time suck.

*they asked me for letter from embassy but embassy no longer issues them and immigration is supposed to know this.  I did have a letter on hand because I got my new PP 2 days after the "no letter" rule and I begged since I knew there was a big chance of it coming up at the border.

Thanks. So, did you have to go through this at a time of normal working hours? My flight is at 8 am so I am wondering if this has to be done, must it be done during a specific time (9 am to 4 pm for instance)? Or is this service available at the airport 24 hours per day?

Hat Yai immigration would not do this for me. Asked them twice.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

They may also transfer your entry stamp .

Realize you have a 30 day extension however how did you enter Thailand. Visa exempt ? 

At some point in future can you update your thread with exactly what was done by IO at international departure. 

Yeah, I got a thirty-day visa exempt when I came into Thailand last time, then got the extension.

And sure, I will update this thread when this is all finished.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Also, were you here on a visa at the time, or just a 30-day visa exempt?

18 minutes ago, Jason1921 said:

Also, were you here on a visa at the time, or just a 30-day visa exempt?

I was on the extra 30 day extension for visa exempt.

I cannot tell you office hours for immigration at airport, but I assume they are 24/7.  But don't assume when it's your butt on the line.

Maybe try an agent for your immigration office if you want to do it in advance?  

I had a weird case of old PP to emergency PP due to embassy and then immediately to NEW PP.

So I had my agent move stamp from old pp to emergency pp for me for like 800 baht.

2nd time, from emergency to NEW PP I just did it at border (but I was also under expectation that I wouldn't need to move anything since I was leaving country...but I was wrong.)

Possible options:
I do not know if you can go to another immigration office and do this? 

or if you can just hire an agent that can get it done for you there or at another immigration office?
or just go to a nearby border or airport and get it done  before hand.  (they did mine outside and before I could give my pp to the immigration officer to leave the country).

Go to immigration main office in your area. I did it here on Tuesday in Hua Hin. Transferred visa and stamp + got a re-entry visa for my holiday. All done in 30-40 minutes with no problems.

Not sure why they are saying to do it at the airport but that is risky if they decide to be strict.

Contray to what others are saying you can transfer your visa from your old passport as I have just done it. You also need to fill out the form. Have it all ready when you arrive and you will have no problems but you can also go to the airport with both passports as the old one shows your visa and then move your visa when you return.

Edited by Thaiger1
mistake/remembering another point.

8 minutes ago, Thaiger1 said:

Go to immigration main office in your area. I did it here on Tuesday in Hua Hin. Transferred visa and stamp + got a re-entry visa for my holiday. All done in 30-40 minutes with no problems.

Not sure why they are saying to do it at the airport but that is risky if they decide to be strict.

The OP does not have a visa or extension and will not be obtaining a reentry permit.

He just present at airport.

The io may/transfer his entry stamp and then stamp exit stamp along side.

No issues. 

He entered Thailand visa exempt and obtained 30 day extension. 

That ends when he exits. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

A slightly trickier case: there's no old passport with the stamp (lost), can I just leave the country with an empty new passport? They do know when I entered the country, what's the point of showing the old passport, right? Also it was a visa entry (TE), which might complicate things

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Nothing to do with "Now"

Another thread that will bounce around because of variable circumstances.

When I got a new passport  in 2014 Sri Ratcha immigration recreated a swampy entry stamp in my new passport.

• Thanks 1