Moving to Thailand from Belgium with my thai wife

Hi People,

I'm new here, apologies if my questions have been asked and answered already in another topic.

I'm currently in the process of finalizing my life in Belgium.

Business taken over and property sold.

I'm married to a thai woman for over 14 years now and we plan to move to Thailand by the end of July, so in about 7 weeks.

A friend and local thai expat advised me to register on this site and ask my questions concerning the move and the visa application.

So far I have learned that I will need an non immigrant O visa at first that in a later stade can be converted to another type of visa.

My plan is to start a new business in Bangkok, so I will need a work permit at some point as well.

What I don't know is if I can start with the visa application before entering Thailand or do I need to be physically present in the country.

Also, will a 30 days exemption be sufficient to get my visa or is it wise to get a 60 day tourist visa first?

Is having a fixed address necessary and do I need a bank account in my name with a certain amount of money in it?

I already asked quotes from a visa agent but their fees are outrageous and I was hoping somebody here can recommend me a trustworthy agency that works at acceptable rates. 

I have plenty of other questions but lets just start with this and see where it leads.

Thank you and have a good day.

OP, you can obtain a non O based on marriage in Belgium.

Your OP is very clear and shows that you have done research.

Yes you can enter visa exempt or tourist visa and convert to non O marriage. 

The issue with that is will need to have a Thai bank account in your name only to apply for non O in Thailand.

400k baht on day of application.

The next step is 12 month extension and that requires 400k in your Thai bank for 2 months. 

Edit: just had second read of your OP. You do not have bank account. 

Entering on visa exempt not advised. 

The regulations changed recently.

Suggest non O in Belgium or tourist visa best option.

Which immigration office would you be dealing with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As mentioned already by other posters, the preferred option for you is to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage to a Thai national (it's an eVisa application and will be handled by the consulate section of the Thai Embassy in Belgium). 

The main reason for doing so is that without a Visa you will have big difficulties opening a personal Thai bank-account, and such a bank-account is required as you would need to show to Immigration when applying for the 1-year extension of that 90-day Visa that you have the required funds (+400.000 THB) on that bank-account. 

I did sent you a PM with more information.

You should investigate whether your local business idea is even legal for a foreigner. The majority of jobs are prohibited for expats. Even a foreigner helping his Thai wife run her business can land him in trouble with immigration. 

• Like 2

Where did you marry?  is my first question, if it is not registered in Thailand it needs to be. Translation by your embassy will be needed then off to your local Amphur office (council office) to register it. 

• Like 2

@doctoor decan, Goedendag/Bonjour.

My company https://intertag.org is specialized in expat business services. I came myself to Thailand 8 months ago and created a BOI (Board of Investment) startup with a Smart visa. We can help with cost-effective long-term compliance solutions, see here: https://aseannow.com/topic/1292601-innovative-and-cost-effective-compliance-solutions-for-digital-nomads-freelancers-startups-entrepreneurs/

We can help to get you tax exemptions, 100% foreign-owned companies, no 4-Thai-for-1-foreign employment rule and a few more perks. All depends on your line of business and project. You are welcome to contact us for free consultation.

Rosho

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Belgium, Holland and the Scandinavian countries all speak very good English.

Yes I know about Holland and Scandinavia, but fear that Belgium is way too close to France and their complete inability to speak, or even want to speak english...

7 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Yes I know about Holland and Scandinavia, but fear that Belgium is way too close to France and their complete inability to speak, or even want to speak english...

Not my experience. The couple I met here (not young) had impeccable English and Dutch too. 

20 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

That's a cliché, for the Belgians, that is. Regarding the French, it is quite accurate, I am afraid. Not everybody in Belgium is fluent in English, obviously, but the level of fluency (not just in English btw) is quite high. I am a native French-speaking Belgian, I lived and worked in 6 countries (including Thailand), I speak 5 languages and I work almost exclusively in English. And it is not just me; for example, my brother is accredited with the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.

The Belgian ambassador to Thailand routinely publishes podcasts and webcasts in our national languages and in English, and everybody in the Belgian community finds that totally normal, even expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

In Belgium there are 3 official languages: dutch, french and german. 

In the Flanders region - which has most inhabitants - people speak Dutch, in Wallony they speak French and in the small East-cantons region they speak German.

It is quite normal in Belgium to speak or at least understand 4 languages (the 3 national languages and English), especially in the Flanders region.  I for one am one of those than read and understand all 4, and I am fluent in 2 of them, while being able to have a non-specialized conversation in the other 2.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Everyone keeps mentioning the 400 or 800k baht in the bank,but if not wanting to tie up that sort of capital at poor rates there is the income option. A letter from your embassy here in Thailand confirming you have an income (pension?) of 40k baht per month marriage,or 65k for the administratively easier retirement visa

Cannot work on a retirement extension.

On 6/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, nchuckle said:

Not my experience. The couple I met here (not young) had impeccable English and Dutch too. 

You are out of line here, if they spoke dutch, then they are from Holland not Belgium, not same country, maybe you know???

• Confused 1

On 6/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, Red Phoenix said:

In Belgium there are 3 official languages: dutch, french and german. 

In the Flanders region - which has most inhabitants - people speak Dutch, in Wallony they speak French and in the small East-cantons region they speak German.

It is quite normal in Belgium to speak or at least understand 4 languages (the 3 national languages and English), especially in the Flanders region.  I for one am one of those than read and understand all 4, and I am fluent in 2 of them, while being able to have a non-specialized conversation in the other 2.

Hmmm. this goes against what I have learned about Belgium a little bit... At least when it comes to dutch as a language in Belgium. I think you are trying to mention Flamish (spelling??) language and NOT dutch....  BIG difference....

40 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Hmmm. this goes against what I have learned about Belgium a little bit... At least when it comes to dutch as a language in Belgium. I think you are trying to mention Flamish (spelling??) language and NOT dutch....  BIG difference....

You learned wrong.  In the Flanders region of Belgium the official language is dutch (the same language as Netherlands) and spelling/grammar of the written dutch is EXACTLY the same, although there are words/expressions which are typical for the Netherlands and for Flanders. 

The language spoke is often referred to as Flemish, because the pronunciation is clearly different than the dutch spoken in the Netherlands. And even within the Flanders region the dialects spoken in the 5 provinces of the region are different and easily distinguishable. 

• Thumbs Up 2