Transport Ministry mulls police bodycams for weighbridge officials

webfact

image.png

The Thai Ministry of Transport plans to procure body cameras to be used by officials working at weighbridges on the country’s highways and rural roads, to prevent them from demanding bribes from overloaded truck drivers.

A fact-finding committee on the overloaded truck bribery scandal met Friday to discuss the matter and consider measures to tackle the problem.  

The committee comprises representative from the Highways, Rural Roads and Land Transport departments, as well as the Highway Police Division.

Pisak Jitviriyavasin, deputy permanent secretary of transport, said after the meeting that they agreed that there are loopholes in the current system for monitoring overloaded trucks, allowing unscrupulous officials, including police, to demand bribes.

He said that the meeting concluded that new technology, such as bodycams, should be introduced, which could reduce the opportunities for corruption.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/transport-ministry-mulls-police-bodycams-for-weighbridge-officials/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

Procure... I bet each bobycam each up costing 200,000baht per unit - but it's due to the maintenance contract and training also required they say so you can not just think like that you rational thinker... Keep calm, mask up, and dont think..

I wouldn't place that bet if I was you; Lazada Police Body cam 3,320 baht.-7247baht. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Thai Ministry of Transport plans to procure body cameras to be used by officials

Thailand is in a kind of Bermuda Triangle where inexplicable outages occur in all sorts of electronic equipment like: speed cameras; taximeters (100% in Pattaya all day/every day); body-cams at highway road-blocks erected by Bandits-in-Brown; traffic lights.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I wouldn't place that bet if I was you; Lazada Police Body cam 3,320 baht.-7247baht. 

How much were those bomb detectors that were purchased several years ago...

The Alpha 6 manufactured by Samuel and Joan Tree and sold to Egypt, Thailand and Mexico, usually at £2,000 ($3,213) per device

Transport Ministry…..a cover for illegal practices…graft..free money…allow overweight trucks to keep rolling…there are a multitude of reasons to take these crooks to task.

Greed and corruption thrives in every government section…..

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Ministry of Transport plans to procure body cameras to be used by officials working at weighbridges on the country’s highways and rural roads, to prevent them from demanding bribes from overloaded truck drivers.

Please, get real.... you think body cams are going to stop corruption?

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Govt ministries DON'T buy from Lazada! Kaching, kaching!

Edited by 2baht