Are Expats An Endangered Species?

chinthee

"when I recently went there and ordered a drink for myself and my wife, I was the only one who was allowed to have a check bin pot and not pay in advance."

If I took my wife to a squithole like that, I wouldn't be surprised if she called me a Cheap Charlie.

Christ, what a bighead

Well even though I might call myself a cheap Charlie I really think that she (and her family) might think otherwise. I must remember to ask.

I was merely stating a fact - I read the sign about having to pay cash up front - was fully expecting to be asked for the money (I had it in my hand) but the guy just put the bin in a pot. I watched others order drinks, and they were asked for cash. I don't know why - one of life's little mysteries. :D

Completely besides the point, but the reason we were tarrying there was that it was pissing with rain, and we had no umbrellas, so I thought "let's see how the other half lives" :D (Come on, flame flame - what a Big Head!! :o ) Eventually the rain eased and we enjoyed a pleasant evening in the Huntsman bar at the Landmark, where I also didn't have to pay in advance - in fact I used my Thai Amex Platinum, you know, the one with the 3 million Baht credit limit, because the wife had left her Amex gold at home :D (Hiss hiss, seethe, seethe, big head, big head, flame, flame...)

You wanted a bighead, so now you've got one.

Please note that I have not insulted or flamed anyone, nor have I denigrated anyone except to use the term 'cheap charlie' which is a common enough expression here, and I have explained to the n'th degree why I have used it, and have even applied it to myself. The cheap Charlies (including me) obviously don't have a problem with it, or they wouldn't drink at 'Cheap Charlies' :D

You just can't stand the fact that some people have done better than you, can you?

It really is strange, for as others have observed you never get this sort of flack and resentment in the west. No one gives a toss about how much you earn, and if you happen to have more than them, they usually think: 'good luck to to you mate'.

There's something about LOS that seems to attract the 'have nots' who like to think they have found a little corner of the universe where they think they have something - at least in the eyes of the poor Thais, and they seem to greatly resent some of us who really do have something - not only in Thailand but elsewhere as well.

Ah well, such is human nature I suppose - or dear old Trink used to say hu-MANatURE

Over to you, resenters and flamers.... :bah:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something about LOS that seems to attract the 'have nots' who like to think they have found a little corner of the universe where they think they have something - at least in the eyes of the poor Thais

.....and along comes someone who bursts their little bubble :o

I will start my retirement in January and I am coming to live in LOS; as a matter of fact, I will be there next month to lay some ground-work. For what it is worth, here are some insights from a newbie:

I would never plan to go anywhere for an experiment in living , especially to a foreign country , unless I had plenty of money to back me up. If you are an older person, you shouldn't go anywhere without planning for the security of your health, either. Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. I do not wish anyone unhappyness in life, but too many people just don't understand how easily fortune can change from one moment to the next. The situation , especially for expats , in Thailand is just one small example. Anything can happen. The decrease in the value of the US dollar- is this a good thing or a bad thing? Depends upon how you look at it. If you are an american traveling outside America, it is not good. If you are a European, it is not good either: it is more difficult for Europeans to sell their goods because of the high valuation. Americans, on the other hand, can sell there good at a big advantage- they are cheaper! The European politcal powers can't wait soon enough for the Americans to do something about their currency. What does this all mean? It means that the dynamics of the global economy, including Thailand is very volatile. The value of the Chinese currency is also another major issue for both Europeans and Americans. Making predications here is like trying to guess the stock market. Even the people who are really in-the-know(and I am not one of them, for sure) can't really predict anything: many of them talk like they know what is going on and what is going to happen- but nobody knows until something really happens.

One thing for sure, though, the days of the lower economic eschelons of farangs is going to come to an end. They will be priced out. So those of you who have the cash, have a good life; those of you who don't, better start planning; those of you who are young saplings, better just stay home and plan out your future.