Deep Rooted Shade Tree

senoremac

6 hours ago, senoremac said:

I've got an area of approximately 2 meters x 2 meters to plant a shade tree

That is a very very small area for almost any tree.  What are you trying to shade?  ground, side of a house? ...

On 6/12/2023 at 1:09 PM, Reginald Prewster said:

2x2 meter in a bigger garden or 2x2 meter just between lets say house and wall? 

Does the soil drain well or is it prone to water logging?

In the back corner of the property next to 2 walls with good drainage. 

18 hours ago, Dante99 said:

That is a very very small area for almost any tree.  What are you trying to shade?  ground, side of a house? ...

I would like it to block the neighbors window from looking down into a sitting area

On 6/12/2023 at 7:36 AM, ozimoron said:

The best would undoubtedly be a Tamarind tree. Extremely storm resistant and very shady, tall growing tree. However, it is a very large tree.

You can trim a Tamarind tree.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

You can trim a Tamarind tree.

Sure. Once established, they're quite hearty and resistant to meddling - as numerous varieties of hardwoods are here. 

Don't over prune.....thinking one is being clever.

Allow the trees to be.

11 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Sure. Once established, they're quite hearty and resistant to meddling - as numerous varieties of hardwoods are here. 

Don't over prune.....thinking one is being clever.

Allow the trees to be.

He got limited space for a tree, maybe look in to a wall of a few  mulberry trees, that also is easy to prune or tie to becoma a half dome. 

Google muberry trees Thailand and look a the pictures how they have pruned them.  

• Thumbs Up 1

A Tamarind tree, left alone, will grow to a great height and width - much greater than 2x2.

What ever you plant, you are going to have to trim it - better to get some of these.

These are 3 years old and have been trimmed to keep to this height. There is a tamarind tree to the left.

You will see these trees used as a fence on many Thai properties.

The wife says they are called Ton Sai Kaolie

IMG_3707.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotEinstein said:

A Tamarind tree, left alone, will grow to a great height and width - much greater than 2x2.

What ever you plant, you are going to have to trim it - better to get some of these.

These are 3 years old and have been trimmed to keep to this height. There is a tamarind tree to the left.

You will see these trees used as a fence on many Thai properties.

The wife says they are called Ton Sai Kaolie

IMG_3707.jpg

Good one.  That will work better than a large tree.  

On 6/12/2023 at 12:36 PM, ozimoron said:

The best would undoubtedly be a Tamarind tree. Extremely storm resistant and very shady, tall growing tree. However, it is a very large tree.

You are right, But a Tamarind tree is very messy. I had one near my wife's sisters house which is the property next to us, and we had to cut it down. It made a mess with the leaves it dropped , and the seeds. and It was occupied by farmer ants, Amy time you walk under it, the ants freedived on you and AUCH!!

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

You are right, But a Tamarind tree is very messy. 

I was wanting to say the same thing about a Mulberry tree. Had a couple in my parents' backyard while growing up as a teen. Smashed and yucky berries all over the lawn.

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I was wanting to say the same thing about a Mulberry tree. Had a couple in my parents' backyard while growing up as a teen. Smashed and yucky berries all over the lawn.

If you want a nice garden and also maybe some fruit trees, it need to be maintained. 

If a fruit tree makes a mess, then you are a lazy gardener, and maybe also do not collect the gifts given by tree ????

Ants is a problem with a fruit tree, but limited to the source of fruit which is not picked in time. 

Maintenance is a key word, and that means pruning and collecting.

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

If you want a nice garden and also maybe some fruit trees, it need to be maintained. 

If a fruit tree makes a mess, then you are a lazy gardener, and maybe also do not collect the gifts given by tree ????

Ants is a problem with a fruit tree, but limited to the source of fruit which is not picked in time. 

Maintenance is a key word, and that means pruning and collecting.

If I want a fruit tree it would be something like peaches, apples, pears, or other larger fruits, not some small messy fruit like a mulberry.

Berries for me shouldn't be hanging from a tree dropping everywhere. Give me strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries. Even cherry trees as well as those beautiful flowering crabapple trees are messy.