What is this?

djayz

The village doctor recently bought the land adjacent to our plot. He had some work done on it, for example a pond dug out, trees dug up, etc. A few days ago I noticed cement rings on his land and I assumed he had had a well dug, but upon closer inspection I see the rings are full of cement and have a metal bar which is easily 5m high with some kind of lid on top (see photos). What is this? I've never seen anything like it before.

IMG_20230609_114213.jpg

IMG_20230609_114038.jpg

IMG_20230609_114101.jpg

IMG_20230609_114142.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why not go over and ask him what they are?

I don't think I know him well enough to ask him what they are. Time will tell I suppose. 

24 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Solar light.  Large one.

Correct. Also called a UFO light by some due to its distinctive saucer-like appearance.

Not an engineer but if the wind gets up during a rainy season storm, not sure that "construction" is going to survive ?

Actually filling the concrete ring all the way to the top with cement for the base support might have been a better idea....

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, djayz said:

I don't think I know him well enough to ask him what they are. Time will tell I suppose. 

You got pretty close to take the photos. Maybe a good way to get to know him

....'Hey Doc, what the 4..k are those? '

Or maybe peep through your window when Mr Sun has taken his hat off, and if they emit photons, then they ARE lights.

Then you start a confrontation because his light falls on your house and you cannot sleep. 555

If they emit water, then they are a very badly designed sprinkler system.

23 minutes ago, djayz said:

Not difficult to make out the individual LED panels in the fitting.

Looks like you are headed towards a light pollution situation.

On no account reveal any irritation or disapproval of the project or its effect on your life.

You are his best mate and will offer sympathy and understanding if it gets damaged in any way.

• Haha 1

My guess would be bug traps. The edible sort of bugs that is.

The bases are filled with water which collect the insects. The lights on the poles are possible going to have a blue glow which, at night time the bugs can't resist.

My neighbour installed one a while back, but he wasn't confident that the metal pole was sturdy enough to hold the light up so he shored it up with a bamboo pole.

That's villagers for ya.

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

My guess would be bug traps. The edible sort of bugs that is.

The bases are filled with water which collect the insects. The lights on the poles are possible going to have a blue glow which, at night time the bugs can't resist.

Far too high for that purpose. The light on the traps I see around the village are only a meter or so above the catchment pond.

• Like 1

Just now, zzaa09 said:

That might prove to be difficult for Farang....

Send the Mrs to ask his Mrs then.

But why would it be difficult, I talk to my neighbours in my broken Thai.

• Haha 1