Translate Russian to English

Fred Ziffel

How do old guys still not know how to use a phone? 

You can take photos of the document, even scan in with the phone, and it will be translated instantly...

You don't need a "service" for that ???? like it's the 1930s and you need someone to transcribe morse code. It can be done entirely on a phone.

• Like 1

You can upload to professional translators. I used to use one for translating official Thai documents like building permits.

Here's Google Lens's free attempt. Whatever's in the cylinders, I'd stand well back. Even from Google Garble it seems well dangerous. Zyklon B?

Screenshot_2023-06-21-16-01-10-010_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, BangkokHank said:

https://translate.yandex.com

This is a Russian site, so it would probably do a better job at translating Russian specifically. I also use the yandex search engine, as I find it more likely to tell the truth than the totally biased search engines like Google, etc.

Yandex is for some things great....for other things poor. Total different results than Google. We have some ancient CNC from the early 1990 with a mess of a software that is protected.....the company doesn't exist anymore since decades. Information on how to bypass that can be only found with Yandex....Google has it total cleaned up there is not even a hint that such things exist.

On other daily things you often find only Russian webpages.

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

You can upload to professional translators. I used to use one for translating official Thai documents like building permits.

Here's Google Lens's free attempt. Whatever's in the cylinders, I'd stand well back. Even from Google Garble it seems well dangerous.

Screenshot_2023-06-21-16-01-10-010_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

yes Carbon Monoxide and and most probably Cyclon B. If you have these containers...they are most probably very dangerous.

Hmm, AI is a promising, evolving technology but it is not there yet (never mind the inherent dangers being pointed to currently). I use Google translate for a rough idea of what is being said in print but it too is still developing. I would lean toward a very well educated human translator knowledgeable in the two languages being translated if important. That is someone very familiar with not only words but also the cultures of both languages. That, currently, is still the edge over AI (while it is increasingly "learning" to do much the same. But, I say ... rough and ready, ... Google works. Anything needing critical translation ... well that is where I make my recommendation.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Hmm, AI is a promising, evolving technology but it is not there yet (never mind the inherent dangers being pointed to currently). I use Google translate for a rough idea of what is being said in print but it too is still developing. I would lean toward a very well educated human translator knowledgeable in the two languages being translated if important. That is someone very familiar with not only words but also the cultures of both languages. That, currently, is still the edge over AI (while it is increasingly "learning" to do much the same. But, I say ... rough and ready, ... Google works. Anything needing critical translation ... well that is where I make my recommendation.

I played around with AI...and there is amazing results....answers that would need me hours of research. And between, plain wrong things that are complete made up.

And most probably you would not spot it.

In a longer text it told me that Antarctica is colder than the Arctic. And in a other text that Arctic is colder than Antarctica. If it wouldn't have contradict itself I wouldn't spot it. Everything else was correct.

So very careful with important things and AI

• Thumbs Up 1