To buy or not?

still kicking

6 minutes ago, still kicking said:

What more do you need?

Make year model, what you do on it (generally) any errors, how frequently they show,  what they say exactly, what software you are running, how you maintain it, whether you clean its drive, what's the memory availability. What OS. Maybe a few other details...

They're complex things, the answers may be tedious to get and post, but they could get you another year or three of PC life. Or help the group suggest a fitting replacement. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Make year model, what you do on it (generally) any errors, how frequently they show,  what they say exactly, what software you are running, how you maintain it, whether you clean its drive, what's the memory availability. What OS. Maybe a few other details...

They're complex things, the answers may be tedious to get and post, but they could get you another year or three of PC life. Or help the group suggest a fitting replacement. 

It is an Acer 15, 6 years old only used for emails Asean.com Facebook

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

why do you want to spend more $$ on a difficult to repair/upgrade style of computer with lower specifications just to gain the ability to tote it around?  A normal modern TV can be your monitor and wireless keyboards and mice are inexpensive and convenient.

If it was a good laptop with upmarket components in it to start with, try to reformat the HD at little cost and see if it's preforms improves after the reformatting that usually you get better speed and performance out of it.

Edited by ezzra

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Save it, it's probably the only working Acer that old left ???? If it were Dell, Lenovo or Toshiba i would keep, Acer deserves the bin.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, proton said:

Save it, it's probably the only working Acer that old left ???? If it were Dell, Lenovo or Toshiba i would keep, Acer deserves the bin.

I've just replaced an Acer Aspire 15 that just about made it to three years before it randomly started losing it's mind and was beyond help by my local repair shop - I understand that is the expected lifespan of a laptop these days.

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I've just replaced an Acer Aspire 15 that just about made it to three years before it randomly started losing it's mind and was beyond help by my local repair shop - I understand that is the expected lifespan of a laptop these days.

Had a Samsung last 9 years. Both Samsung and Lenovo are quality imo

I wouldnt buy anything else.

Install Linux on it. Problem solved if it was windows related. Linux requires significantly less computing resources to do the same thing. 

Or to just try it out get a live cd version of linux mint or similar, install it on a USB stick and boot from it to see how it works. 

Edited by gargamon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Im writing this on an old HP NETBOOK...and yep I have ACER netbooks too...the secret??

LINUX OS...tons of varieties to choose from and free..many built esp for OLD laptops

Youtube can give you all the details..any PC geeks knows LINUX well...Ubuntu etc....

Im running MX16 OS on this old pc and works just fine.....so glad I walked away from Windows

and yes they have OS systems that look and act just like Apple or Windows interface....

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-lightweight-linux-distro

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Install Linux on it. Problem solved if it was windows related. Linux requires significantly less computing resources to do the same thing. 

Or to just try it out get a live cd version of linux mint or similar, install it on a USB stick and boot from it to see how it works. 

Linux all day!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, proton said:

My ACER from 2007 only recently conked out and that was through the clumsy handling of their service centre. It had a stiff hinge. They forgot and tried to open it, cracking the frame. I let it go since I got perhaps fifteen years of use from it. 

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Im writing this on an old HP NETBOOK...and yep I have ACER netbooks too...the secret??

LINUX OS...tons of varieties to choose from and free..many built esp for OLD laptops

Youtube can give you all the details..any PC geeks knows LINUX well...Ubuntu etc....

Im running MX16 OS on this old pc and works just fine.....so glad I walked away from Windows

and yes they have OS systems that look and act just like Apple or Windows interface....

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-lightweight-linux-distro

I ran Windows 10 Pro on my ACER from 2007. No major issues. Ran fine on 4GB of RAM and an inexpensive SSD. 

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

I guess that has been posted many times. I have a laptop about 6 years old but it is beginning to slow down now. so the qwestion is, get rid of it or reformate it ?

The problem is that the information you give is so sparse, that it’s clear that you won’t have a clue what to do, even if we tell you. Useless saying just ACER. I have a Ford car, can you fix it? 
Can you see the issue now? Your description is useless. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

I am typing this on about a 10 year old Acer Aspire E471, works perfectly, set up on my TV to watch movies on Kodi and Sport with an IPTV player.

I have changed the hard drive to SSD and added more memory, very easy to work on.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 5459, which I bought for my son, load of crap, 30 Hertz refresh rate and maximum 100 Mbs LAN connection.

Agree with you about Lenovo being good.

21 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Acer Aspire15 about 6 years old just use it for my email and reading the news no games installed 

15 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Acer Aspire15 about 6 years old just use it for my email and reading the news no games installed 

Go to a tech mall, see what is out there. So many options. What is your budget? Samsung A7 lite 8.7 inch tablet only 5000 to 5900 baht. I'm glad I bought it. Hold it in 1 hand yet still plenty big enough screen.