Legality of working part-time for a private Thai company on a Non-Immigrant "F" Visa?

A foreign national recently resigned from a private Thai company to work for an NGO and obtained a  Non-Immigrant "F" Visa to work for the said organization.

However, he would still like to continue working part-time for this private Thai company for some IT-consulting work on an hourly basis. 

What would be the legality of such arrangement? From a quick research, this visa is for "working with the government, diplomatic mission or an international organisation in Thailand (immediate family included)." As far as I know, it's not possible to obtain an additional work permit on this type of visa. 

10 hours ago, Mikeheo said:

No it doesn't. You could work on a non-O for example, as long as you got the work permit.

This is the key point. If the Labour Department will give you a work permit, you are good to go. What is not clear is whether they will do so if you are on a Non F visa (or an extension of stay based on it).

14 hours ago, Mikeheo said:

No it doesn't. You could work on a non-O for example, as long as you got the work permit.

Non O based on what?

If marriage he could obtain work permit.

Based on retirement not possible.

Your post is vague. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Non O based on what?

If marriage he could obtain work permit.

Based on retirement not possible.

Your post is vague. 

In my view, his point was apposite. Rather than focussing on the visa directly, you should look at whether, based on it, the Labour Department will issue a work permit. There are a multitude of possible situations with visas and extensions, but being allowed to work comes down to what the Labour Department will allow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There are a multitude of possible situations with visas and extensions, but being allowed to work comes down to what the Labour Department will allow.

List them. 

I can't work as I'm on extensions based on retirement.

So from a "non O " who can obtain a work permit. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

List them. 

I can't work as I'm on extensions based on retirement.

So from a "non O " who can obtain a work permit. 

Ask the Labour Department. It may well vary from office to office in obscure cases. As an example, can someone on a Non O visa as a (foreign) dependant of someone on an extension of stay based on working get their own work permit? What about the situation mentioned by the OP in this thread? I do not pretend to know what the answer will be at all Labour Offices in every situation.

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I do not pretend to know what the answer will be at all Labour Offices in every situation.

From the OP....

"A foreign national recently resigned from a private Thai company to work for an NGO and obtained a Non-Immigrant "F" Visa to work for the said organization."

It's the old "friend of mine" 

IMO a nonsense thread. 

Very vague at best. 

The OP has not posted since starting thread. 

Speaks volumes. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 6/23/2023 at 11:21 PM, DrJack54 said:

From the OP....

"A foreign national recently resigned from a private Thai company to work for an NGO and obtained a Non-Immigrant "F" Visa to work for the said organization."

It's the old "friend of mine" 

IMO a nonsense thread. 

Very vague at best. 

The OP has not posted since starting thread. 

Speaks volumes. 

Thanks for the replies so far - not everyone attends this forum daily here. 

I described the situation as clearly as I could. If any key details are missing, let me know. 

I guess contacting the labour office is our best bet. I was just looking to see if anyone had experiences with something similar before. I know the labour law changed in 2018, but none of those changes seem to address this issue specifically.