Yamaha T-max 500 Cc

present

I wonder if it is possible to get my Yamaha in Thailand when I retire ? this is not yet mind you ,but I just wonder. It is the only thing I should take with me from Belgium. I also never saw one over there. In Chiang Mai there are very big yamaha dealers but mostly 125 cc or less models.

I'm not sure whether you want to take your bike/scooter from Europe or buy a bigger bike here.

Information and background stories about importing on your own can be found in the gt-rider forum (www.gt-rider.com).

No Japanese maker will sell anything roadlegal above 175-200 cc and these are choppers.

Some people and dealers sell big bikes/scooters as well but you will have to be very cautious from who and what you buy!

One dealer - Teera with shops in Bangkok and on Phuket - which at least has not been accused of illegal activities so far - as far as I know - is selling a T Max 500 at the moment (www.tpmotorycle.com).

Another dealer in Bangkok has a good reputuation but also high price tags. Sometimes RedBaron (www.redbaronbkk.com) offers bigger scooters as well.

Be prepared to pay about twice as much for legally imported and registered big bike/scooter as you would in Europe. And be prepared that many existing registrations where "bought" and might not stand a closer investigation.

Finally, the fact that a seller is possibly a foreigner will not give you any better guarantee that it's no fraud.

I wonder if it is possible to get my Yamaha in Thailand when I retire ? this is not yet mind you ,but I just wonder. It is the only thing I should take with me from Belgium. I also never saw one over there. In Chiang Mai there are very big yamaha dealers but mostly 125 cc or less models.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes SoandSo, I did mean my own bike from Belgium to Thailand, if it is worthwhile of course.It would be very nice because I like this scoot a lot but not to any price. If it can be done at a reasonable price, with a good company who know what they are doing and have experience with Thailand.I believe that most people moving to Thailand take some things with them wich have a certain ,somethimes only sentimental worth.

I'm not sure whether you want to take your bike/scooter from Europe or buy a bigger bike here.

Information and background stories about importing on your own can be found in the gt-rider forum (www.gt-rider.com).

No Japanese maker will sell anything roadlegal above 175-200 cc and these are choppers.

Some people and dealers sell big bikes/scooters as well but you will have to be very cautious from who and what you buy!

One dealer - Teera with shops in Bangkok and on Phuket - which at least has not been accused of illegal activities so far - as far as I know - is selling a T Max 500 at the moment (www.tpmotorycle.com).

Another dealer in Bangkok has a good reputuation but also high price tags. Sometimes RedBaron (www.redbaronbkk.com) offers bigger scooters as well.

Be prepared to pay about twice as much for legally imported and registered big bike/scooter as you would in Europe. And be prepared that many existing registrations where "bought" and might not stand a closer investigation.

Finally, the fact that a seller is possibly a foreigner will not give you any better guarantee that it's no fraud.