Which BASIC pickup would you buy new or almost new?

I'm in a similar boat to you as I'm looking for a second car for myself and I want a basic pickup and I'll settle for manual. Our family car is a Mitsu Expanda and it great for the family of five but useless for getting the dirty jobs done like buying gardening/farm stuff etc. I also want a King Cab just in case I have to transport the family.

I have settled on the basic Toyota Hilux Z edition. Mind you I've never been a fan of Toyota, probably because there are so many on the road. I've been quoted 629,000 baht for the manual. I believe it's about 50,000 baht more for an Auto on most vehicles here. The single cab would be cheaper and there are a lot around here.

Close second would be the Mitsu version although they seem to cater for the rev head in some models. I did look at Ford and considered them but did not feel comfortable with the dealership here.

• Like 1

I also am in the market for a new pickup, still haven't decided if I will get a 4 door or the extended cab version. I'm leaning to the 4 door models but would like the extra bed length of the extended cab. My GF has a good friend whom sells for Mazda, she offered us a good finance option that I almost pulled the trigger on last December, however she called the GF recently to tell her that Mazda Thailand is leaving the pickup sales business as they don't sell enough of them and that there is too much competition.

I spoke with a mate whom has owned both recent Isuzu and Mitsubishi models. He stated to me that the Isuzu with the 1.9L engine was total crap and that the Mitsubishi with the 2.4L engine is the sweet spot (especially if you are going AT). Correct me if I'm wrong, but many of the Isuzu dealers charge extra for bumpers and steps, those were included as well as a bed liner in my Mitsubishi quote. However the Mits is not cheap 4 door AT with most the whistles 920,000 baht. A similar Isuzu with the 1.9L would run around 750,000 baht.

• Like 2

Confused. if you are looking for a longer bed then you aren't going to get it in any model that is a 4 doors, you will need minimum a Extra cab. 

I don't buy American no matter what learn my lesson although attracted to the Ford.  

This is pretty much the same with Chinese, have a neighbor with one rides as if you were in a tin can. MG. 

My brother has a MIT, it doesn't have a solid feel seats sit low as if it was a sport car he paid around 860,000 but after riding in my Hilux he regrets it. 

I got a 2018, after much research and going to Bangkok auto show. 

Although my first choice was Toyota since I had a Yaris already with a budget in mind prices are basically the same now I got a Hilux model E,  4 Door Auto, 2.4 Diesel  list price was 890,000, this would basically include tinted windows, door and window guards, floor entry boards, rear bed liners, floor mats. leather like seats and interior with 1 year insurance.. One of reason I choose this model old school basic dash instrument are dial next model up all digital which I don't like. This model also has front vents A/C only the next model G,  price 969,000 has a second A/C vent system rear center console. So if you plan to carry people regularly long distant something to consider. 

In the end,  I walked in to my dealer offer 860,000 for the E Model cash deal done. 

The model also sits the same height as the 4 wheel model trucks are trucks in regards to rides but I and my brother noticed built much more solid,  ride and suspension Much smoother and seats much higher than his MIT. The 7 speed auto is a big plus.  5 year Warranty Chon Buri service oil change around 3000 baht. 

Good luck. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Love It 1

For the odd time you need a tray for- fridge, bed, tv etc. then rent one or borrow from a friend. I have owned a few in Australia, which are great for a work truck. But for family, they are thirsty, uncomfortable for all but the driver, too big for city/town traffic. Basically,IMHO, they are a waste of time in Thailand. 
now if you live and work rural then awesome ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What do you class as a basic pick up?

A single cab 2/3, a 4/5 seat 2 door queen cab, a 4 door 4/5 seat cab?

Then you need to decide if you want petrol, diesel or NGV/LPG.

It seems that the only thing you do want is A/T.

Do you want a small pickup or a standard size.

You need to bear in mind why you need a pickup as the cab size dictates the load bed size. Also you need to know the weight and size of the loads you want to carry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1