What Is Your Favorite Perfume?

Robski

My Thai wife will not allow me to buy her any perfume. She says that Thais believe that when the scent wears off.....so will your love.

She tells me this is a custom observed by the older generations....my wife is 37.

Perhaps your girlfriend doesn't believe this custom.....you would be wise to investigate.

The best gift in my opinion....is gold. Head to chinatown and buy some earrings..... If she doesn't like the style, she can always exchange them at any gold shop...for a small fee.

Good luck

Eric

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my fave's, depending on my moods

-Gucci Envy

-Ralph Lauren Blue

-Premier Jour Nina Rici

-Lauren Style Ralph Lauren - my all time fave! :D

like everyone else said, buying a perfume will depend on what she likes or her personality... try something not too strong...

cheers.. :o

Ok lots of good ideas, thanks.

I'm going out on Saturday to buy something so keep the ideas coming in until then and I'll try to narrow things down a bit before going shopping.

I'll let you know what I buy then, but as to wether she likes the choice I make I'll have to let you know in a couple of weeks time when I see her.

Thanks markr we might get around to karaoke, normally reserved to chase away the Thai blues, if we get out of the bedroom. :D

I hope all is going well for you and the very recent Mrs markr. :o

If anyone is ever in New Delhi on the main backpackers drag - there is a "perfume palace" that once sold the most fabulous scent, revered by all who had the pleasure of sniffing it. I've posted this before and one day it will be found... it's called "Heart Erection"!

I kid you not!!! :o

If anyone is ever in New Delhi on the main backpackers drag - there is a "perfume palace" that once sold the most fabulous scent, revered by all who had the pleasure of sniffing it. I've posted this before and one day it will be found... it's called "Heart Erection"!

Khall..with a name like that..not sure Id want to buy it...but if you want me to search for it for you? :o then gimme the details......not sure Id dare to ask for it though :D

Khall..with a name like that..not sure Id want to buy it...but if you want me to search for it for you? :D then gimme the details......not sure Id dare to ask for it though :D

Do you go to New Delhi? I know it's a silly name and had trouble saying it myself :D not easy to find but, wait till you experience the scent! :o

My Thai wife will not allow me to buy her any perfume. She says that Thais believe that when the scent wears off.....so will your love.

She tells me this is a custom observed by the older generations....my wife is 37.

Perhaps your girlfriend doesn't believe this custom.....you would be wise to investigate.

Good luck

Eric

My wife (Thai, 41) has never heard of this. Likely one of those 1'236'641 superstitions.

We both love perfumes and I associate their scent with memories.

I love SAMSARA (Guérlain) and one of the most sensual perfumes is AMOUAGE, hard to find though.

Chanel has some exciting perfumes, like COCCO. For my taste No. 5 is a bit too hard (even masculine) but that's my taste. Marilyn was certainly not masculine :o

My advice is: Take her along and let her choose. Don't forget: spray on her skin for testing. Most perfumes react to the skin and the scent changes from skin to skin. And when you find a perfume, check out the lotions, bath foams etc as well.

sigh... i miss sephora... anyone know what i am talking about?

Sure do... do they not ship to thailand? what exactly are you missing?? My girlfriend is a buyer for the company.....

hmm they probably do ship here but the great thing about sephora was the experience of going in and trying out all the cool stuff! (this is a cosmetics/perfume superstore in NY for those who don't know).

2 other faves i remembered are Samsara (Geurlain) and Angel, both mentioned by others.

I currently have DKNY Be Delicious (the red one) which is nice and fresh, not at all flowery. It doesn't seem to last very long though, which is a bit annoying. I also like Flowerbomb, by Viktor and Rolf, which despite the name isn't very flowery, it is quite different though, and it is probably the kind of thing you would love or hate.

you seem quite set on getting perfume, but honestly, if I were you I would proceed with caution. It is a very hard gift to get right unless you know exaxtly which to get. It is a wonderful gesture though. Is there a way you could ask one of her friends, or her mum or sister for help without her knowing?

My faves;

Chanel Coco or Chance

JLo Glow (Love it)

YSL Young Sexy Lovely

Dior Addict (Mr Ausladyinpatong gave it to me and i get compliments on it)

Used to wear Sunflowers, Elizabeth Arden and got compliments on that too.

CK One seems to smell good on anyone as well.

Good Luck!

:o

Beyond Paradise, Estee Lauder . (original, not the new colors)

&

J'Adore, Christiane Dior

Above to are classic and safe, popular choices...

or Panthere, Cartier, beyond that, most other Estee products are safe, and Happy Heart by Clinique is still one of my favorites to gift.

Best advice is not to guess. Find someone that knows her fragrance tastes. Buying what she already likes is 10 times a better choice.

Ok here's the list so far;

Issey Miyake

delicious (DKNY)

Flower by Kenzo

Britney- Curious

Sarah Jessica Parker -Lovely

Paris Hillton- Just me

Light blue by D & G

Eau d'Issey by Miyake

Calvin Klein - CK1

Escada - Ibiza Hippy/Rockin' Rio*.

Love Coco by Chanel

Opium by YSL

Obsession and Eternity by Calvin Kline

Chanel no5.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Jungle by Kenzo

sephora

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden.

Angel by Tierry Mugler

versace bright crystal

Au fresh by versace

OPium

Yves Saint Laurent

Eternity

Ciao either

Gucci Envy

Ralph Lauren Blue

Premier Jour Nina Rici

Lauren Style Ralph Lauren

miyake

SAMSARA Guérlain

AMOUAGE.

Chanel COCCO

Samsara (Geurlain) and Angel

DKNY Be Delicious (the red one)

Flowerbomb, by Viktor and Rolf,

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

Flower by Kenzo

Sunflowers

Chanel 5

Oscar de la Renta

Chanel Coco or Chance

JLo Glow (Love it)

YSL Young Sexy Lovely

Dior Addict

Sunflowers, Elizabeth Arden

Dioressence by Dior

heck! you can see why it is so daunting for me and that's even after narrowing it down with your help.

I think I'm going to look at Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden, Flower by Kenzo and Eau d'Issey by Miyake as these got several mentions, as i said i want something light that she can wear everyday if she wants, also I think I can discount men's fragrance as I want it to be something I find attractive, enough said. I'm taking the list with me thogh so it could take a while, wish me luck.

And the winner is.......... Flower by Kenzo! Thanks for all your contributions it really did make life easier. I took the list with me and the girl in the perfume department was very helpful, (she saw the list and said 'ooh you have been doing your homework', I told her I had help from some friends!)

I tried Flower by Kenzo , Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden and Eau d'issey by Miyake first, and then through the list and tried several more, some we discounted straight away and others were possibilities, but they were either a bit too 'poptastic' or very heavily scented and the first three did come out as the main contenders.

Miyake though I thought was too flowery, a bit like Anais Anais, and Green Tea was nice and refreshing but a little tame, but Flower was absolutely perfect, it smells wonderful and light, not at all flowery as the name would suggest, perfect for everyday use, but is also sophisticated enough to be worn in the evening, I think it would suit anyone and so my girlfriend should be happy with it. Thanks Mig and Chatette for suggesting that.

So I bought 50ml of Flower eau de parfum for £39.50 and got a free 12ml bottle in a pouch that she can take in her bag, and I also bought a Green Tea set with 100ml each of eau de parfum, shower gel and moisturiser for £14.99 it was reduced from £25. Maybe I could of got these cheaper in duty free, but not by much and with much less time to choose, and I know they would have been a lot more expensive in Bangkok, so it was well worth the effort.

I'll let you know what she thinks in 2 weeks time. :o

Many Thai women believe it is unlucky to receive perfume as a gift from their boyfriend, or, husband.

There is a superstion that it means a break-up will follow.

If you are just a friend, or, another female, then there is no problem.

I buy my wife perfume when I go through duty-free. She always pays me one baht for it. That way, she has bought it, so, technically it's not a gift and the curse doesn't apply.

Many Thai women believe it is unlucky to receive perfume as a gift from their boyfriend, or, husband.

There is a superstion that it means a break-up will follow.

If you are just a friend, or, another female, then there is no problem.

I buy my wife perfume when I go through duty-free. She always pays me one baht for it. That way, she has bought it, so, technically it's not a gift and the curse doesn't apply.

Interesting info. I didn't know that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, my girlfriend is very happy with the fragrances and uses them both, she likes Green Tea but seems to prefer Flower by Kenzo.

She didn't seem to feel there was any hidden agenda (thai superstition) behind the present and now thinks

I am a wonderfully thoughtful boyfriend. I didn't tell her I had help from a lot of very thoughtful ladies, best not ruin it! Thanks all. :o

Edited by Robski