Bifocal Lenses Using Old Frames

Plern

Is anyone aware of a good place to have lenses made without purchasing frames?

I'm going to go back to Rutin for a check.

I'm also very curious if anyone might know if it is possible to remove my old lenses and replace them with new ones.

The issue is that they are rimless and the lenses are held only by two tiny rivets each at the nose and temple. My concern is that the technician will destroy the frames in the process of replacing the lenses leaving both unusable.

I don't mind buying frames and in fact if I could find frames like the one I have I would buy three. The only thing approaching what I'm looking for are silhouette brand frames. Everything else has not been acceptable for various reasons. Yes, I have looked on the Zenni site many times and I'm sure a few others that have been mentioned here. I admittedly very picky. 

Does anyone have any idea how the silhouette frames value is in Thailand compared to somewhere overseas? I'm assuming that these frames or at least these types and quality of frames are probably 50% less outside Thailand.

Thanks ????

5 hours ago, LOG54 said:

Hello

I have progressive lens on a silhouette frame.. 

If you talk about Rutnin hospital I would not recommend buying lenses there, when I checked last time I went there, they were very expensive (when medical checking is at very fair price for excellent service)

If in Pattaya go to Pattaya optical on Klang not far from previous Topp s supermarket.

Good price, good quality serious and competent and owner is English fluent

Have a good day

I second Pattaya Optical

A medication I take can cause peripheral vision problems.  I get my examinations at  Rutnin Eye Hospital so that condition can be checked.  At the same time I obtain my prescriptions for distance/reading and for computer/reading.

If you have your prescription then ask any of the local optical shops what they would charge.  One chain of stores to check is Top Charoen Optical,  The shops can give you a simple exam and will order the lenses for your frames from China but the service is quick.  They should also be happy to order lenses from your prescription if you already have one.

Alternatively take a look at this web site, Zenni Optical Glasses 

I have purchased sets of the both distance/reading and computer/reading glasses in titanium frames from Zenni twice, saving a lot of money vs what is charged at Rutnin.

Note: I use bifocals since I since progressive lenses make my head bob up and down like an Original Drinking Bird.

514PGoP8hTL._AC_SL1001_.jpg.3b38be8d99732dd7984619047d815742.jpg

Edited by HarrySeaman

37 minutes ago, Plern said:

Appreciate the direction but I'm in Bangkok. Zenni has nothing for me.

See my previous post re Tom Optical in Chonburi, even though you live in BKK, it is worth the trip and they will EMS the specs back, you will still be well ahead on points!

On 6/29/2023 at 4:07 PM, Plern said:

I would imagine every optical shop will do that.

The issue is that they are rimless and the lenses are held only by two tiny rivets each at the nose and temple. My concern is that the technician will destroy the frames in the process of replacing the lenses leaving both unusable.

Every technician with more than a week experience in fitting lenses will have no problem with that.

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BenStark said:

I would imagine every optical shop will do that.

Every technician with more than a week experience in fitting lenses will have no problem with that.

Oh yes, he will. I have exactly the same - Silhouette "frame" (there are actually 3 parts that have no connection to each other that consitute the "frame") with progressive lenses. Made in Switzerland by a top optician at a horrendous price for they take as well utmost care to measure what is needed (you will have several fittings for your perception may vary during the day) and they have special machines to order glasses that are not fully coherent, adjusted to the surface of your eyes which is not fully coherent as well). And you cannot transfer any lens to any frame (example: the point just above your pupil must be in the same place).

But I would propose as well Pattaya Optical in Central Road (Klang) for Standard Frames. They did glasses for my family and in comparison to well known bigger chains they know what they are talking about. Not sure though if they could master the "Silhouette challenge" - I guess the assembling process would probably take place in Bangkok anyway (but not sure at all)

The problem with the Silhouette is that the lenses are not fixed by the frame in relation to each other and it takes a lot of skill to align the three interdependend parts including 2 lenses (so all in all 5 parts). If not properly aligned the whole construction looks rather strange (well, depending on how sensitive you are for those things, but I can notice the tiniest deviations from a straight line at first glance). In Thailand terms like "straight", "horizontal", "equal distance" seem to be rather exotic concepts I have learned.

Edited by moogradod

I'm going to go back to Rutin for a check.

I'm also very curious if anyone might know if it is possible to remove my old lenses and replace them with new ones.

I don't mind buying frames and in fact if I could find frames like the one I have I would buy three. The only thing approaching what I'm looking for are silhouette brand frames. Everything else has not been acceptable for various reasons. Yes, I have looked on the Zenni site many times and I'm sure a few others that have been mentioned here. I admittedly very picky. 

Does anyone have any idea how the silhouette frames value is in Thailand compared to somewhere overseas? I'm assuming that these frames or at least these types and quality of frames are probably 50% less outside Thailand.

Thanks ????

No guarantee but try looking at glassescomplete.com. They are based in Manchester UK and in my personal experience they are excellent. If you can send a couple of photos with the prescription and details of requirements, they can advise.

• Thanks 1

better vision. seacon square bkk srinakarin rd. 

got my frames at another store and they (better vision) put new script lenses in no problem. tech guy is great does a really thorough job when measuring new glasses to fit. 

left frames for 1 day and work was done. 

• Thanks 1

Two years ago I went to V Siam optical on Sukhumvit 23.  There is another location Sukhumvit 31. I bought Silhouette frame there and had  the progressive lenses I already had put on the new frame. The frame cost $300. NO issues what so ever. 

I am going back there in a few weeks for the reverse.  I have a very old Silhouette frame that I really like and have a script from my eye doctor in the States and see if they can do the lenses, progressive, etc

I recommend the Japanese optical shop OwnDays.  They have a location both in Central World and in Gaysorn Plaza.  They have much cheaper prices than Top Charoen as well as much better quality and service.  I have been ripped off by many Thai Optical shops. In the past, I paid as much as $900 for a pair of bifocal lenses only.  This was because the woman wrote a much higher price on my order slip than the one that she quoted and I didn't check it before putting it in my pocket.  When I went to pick up my glasses, I was truly shocked but felt forced to pay the price.  There are many scams for the unwary.   Beware of shops offering you a 50% discount on astronomical prices.  It's an old trick still often used in Bangkok even by the big department stores but in the past I fell for it without doing any real comparison shopping.

15 hours ago, jgm005 said:

Two years ago I went to V Siam optical on Sukhumvit 23.  There is another location Sukhumvit 31. I bought Silhouette frame there and had  the progressive lenses I already had put on the new frame. The frame cost $300. NO issues what so ever. 

I am going back there in a few weeks for the reverse.  I have a very old Silhouette frame that I really like and have a script from my eye doctor in the States and see if they can do the lenses, progressive, etc

That's just too much. I found a perfectly good pair of titanium frames for 1700 baht. I had some higher quality reading lenses put in them and the total came to less than 3,000

8 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I recommend the Japanese optical shop OwnDays.  They have a location both in Central World and in Gaysorn Plaza.  They have much cheaper prices than Top Charoen as well as much better quality and service.  I have been ripped off by many Thai Optical shops. In the past, I paid as much as $900 for a pair of bifocal lenses only.  This was because the woman wrote a much higher price on my order slip than the one that she quoted and I didn't check it before putting it in my pocket.  When I went to pick up my glasses, I was truly shocked but felt forced to pay the price.  There are many scams for the unwary.   Beware of shops offering you a 50% discount on astronomical prices.  It's an old trick still often used in Bangkok even by the big department stores but in the past I fell for it without doing any real comparison shopping.

I've looked even there. Few rimless also the frames are for smaller heads

Thanks

Edited by Plern

Right about the smaller frames.  I buy my frames at Walmart in California and only get the lenses at Owndays.  I think that a good strategy may be to buy your frames from Zenni with cheap single-vision lenses, then buy your bifocal or progressive lenses locally.  I find that local optical shops have trouble adjusting the lenses to be correctly located in relation to your eyes..