Unleashed tragedy: Family pit bulls turn from pets to predators, fatally maul bedridden Thai owner

webfact

image.jpeg

Two family pet pit bulls yesterday attacked and killed their elderly bedridden owner at a house in the Hang Chat district in the northern province of Lampang.

The rescue team yesterday was notified about the death of a 78 year old Thai man named Pratheep. Upon investigating the deceased’s room on the first floor of the house, rescuers discovered a terrifying scene usually reserved for horror movies: Pratheep lying dead on his bed with gaping flesh wounds all over his face.

Pratheep’s brother-in-law, Chalong, revealed to the rescue team that he was attacked by the family’s two pit bulls named Big and Black. He reckoned that the dogs gained entry into the room by tearing through the window’s mosquito net in the early hours of the incident day.

Chalong recounted that he woke in the morning and went to Pratheep’s room to discover the shocking scene. The room was splattered and stained with blood, and Pratheep’s skull was exposed to the elements due to the severity of the injuries.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ ลำปางซะป๊ะ BY เขลางค์นครโพสต์

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/unleashed-tragedy-family-pit-bulls-turn-from-pets-to-predators-fatally-maul-bedridden-thai-owner

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Kill them all. These dogs are prohibited.

Unfortunately not in Trusted Thailand, and I doubt these will be killed either, It not the Buddhist way 'yer know, its even hard to get a sick dying dog put down.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

He reckoned that the dogs gained entry into the room by tearing through the window’s mosquito net in the early hours of the incident day.

First using a ladder taken from the garden shed to climb up to the first floor window?

• Confused 4

If you keep vicious dogs of that type, you need to keep a loaded .45 ACP by your bed and with you at all times and hope you can get to it to blow their heads off before they can incapacitate you. Better still don't keep such revolting animals.

• Like 2

Here we go again! These breeds take very knowlegable owners. Looking at the conditions these dogs were kept in and the fact their owner obviously could not exercise them. This is the outcome and the out come would be the same with any breed from a jack Russel to  dalmatian. How hungry were these dogs? 100% owners fault and 100% should now be put down.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
14 hours ago, webfact said:

He reckoned that the dogs gained entry into the room by tearing through the window’s mosquito net in the early hours of the incident day.

First using a ladder taken from the garden shed to climb up to the first floor window?

The ground floor is called the first floor in Thailand.  (And some other backward place.  I forget the name.)

Unleashed tragedy: Family pit bulls turn from pets to predators, fatally maul bedridden Thai owner

I think "Dangerous dogs that cannot be safely kept as pets were mistaken as pets by their owner.  Who found out too late that he had made a mistake." is more appropriate.

29 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Here we go again! These breeds take very knowlegable owners. Looking at the conditions these dogs were kept in and the fact their owner obviously could not exercise them. This is the outcome and the out come would be the same with any breed from a jack Russel to  dalmatian. How hungry were these dogs? 100% owners fault and 100% should now be put down.

Here we go again. He was always so sweet and gentle. I can't believe he killed that child. Repeat over and over as needed.  How many people have been killed by Jack Russels, please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Good pets bad owners.

Denial, denial, denial.

Just what, exactly, was the bedridden, 78 year old doing, that was so bad that two of the world's most vicious and uncontrollable vermin example of the dog world,Would tear their way through to his room and savage him to death?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Denial, denial, denial.

Just what, exactly, was the bedridden, 78 year old doing, that was so bad that two of the world's most vicious and uncontrollable vermin example of the dog world,Would tear their way through to his room and savage him to death?

A few years of neglect, chained in a cage?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 11:32 AM, amexpat said:

Here we go again. He was always so sweet and gentle. I can't believe he killed that child. Repeat over and over as needed.  How many people have been killed by Jack Russels, please. 

Quite a lot have been bitten by Jack Rats (one of my favourite small dog breeds) small dog breeds. Small breed dogs bite a lot and yes children are scared. If you kept any dog regardless of size in those conditions they could and would attack. Do you honestly think 3 small cute dogs could not kill? Try doing research. There is a phenomena where perfect pet dogs turn on their owners. This occurs when the owners get down on the ground play with their dogs and the dog get into pack frenzy and attack.  Size is irrelevant. Knowledge is key. There are some bad dogs that should be put to sleep (same as people) but most bad dogs are because of bad owners. 

• Sad 1

Bites from a Jack Russel might require first aid. A pit bull will send you to the emergency room or morgue. 
Can you site cases where J R's and others small dogs have killed people? How does that compare to pit bulls? 

Try doing research. Knowledge is key. 

I have found during my walks around Chiang Mai that the Chihuahua Soi-dog can be extremely aggressive, though rarely fatal to strangers.

I always worry that the local Chihuahuas will nip my heels. And, if this happens, I will need to have another round of rabies injections, which are not cheap.

I see no place for Pitbulls in todays world, however.

So far, I have had no dangerous run-ins with the Chihuahua breed, and I am thankful for my good fortune.