Navy ship sinking

Robin

I might have missed this, but was there any result from h 'investigation' that was going to take place into the navy ship sinking last year?

Were any reasons given as to why this happened, o was anyone at fault?

I suspect that this has been swept under the carpet and quietly forgotten as it might have caused embarrassment or loss o face to the persons involved, but has this been resolved?

• Like 1

As ex navy I flollowed this event but the story ends at the beginning.

The HTMS Sukothai (a 77 meters Corvette) hit adverse weather and made water through his exhaust pipe which led to a complete blackout of the electrical systems.

This made the crew incapable to start the pumps and it capsized before it sunk.

Other vessels tried to support with their pumps but handling them on and in a not maneuverable vessel bashed by hard waves I can only imagine that the lads did their best facing a hopeless situation as long they could... 

I our trainings (I was on Frigates) we always including these blackout simulations and they are serious because without windows the entire vessel is black inside.

The last option is the Abandon Ship Muster, but in these rough weather and sea conditions, the chance for the fellow sailors are very small to get found at sea.

RIP Sailors, I am sure you did far more than your very best, as learned in many drills...

14 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

As ex navy I flollowed this event but the story ends at the beginning.

The HTMS Sukothai (a 77 meters Corvette) hit adverse weather and made water through his exhaust pipe which led to a complete blackout of the electrical systems.

This made the crew incapable to start the pumps and it capsized before it sunk.

Other vessels tried to support with their pumps but handling them on and in a not maneuverable vessel bashed by hard waves I can only imagine that the lads did their best facing a hopeless situation as long they could... 

I our trainings (I was on Frigates) we always including these blackout simulations and they are serious because without windows the entire vessel is black inside.

The last option is the Abandon Ship Muster, but in these rough weather and sea conditions, the chance for the fellow sailors are very small to get found at sea.

RIP Sailors, I am sure you did far more than your very best, as learned in many drills...

Interesting,I'm ex Navy also but I always assumed the exhaust lines/pipes were well above the water line . I'm not familiar with frigates, wouldn't the running engines exhaust pressure be enough to prevent the ingress of water? I had a pleasure boat with dual exhaust pipes at the rear water line but the pipe had a loop inline to stop water from entering the engine through the exhaust when stopped. This case is a very rare event as its hard to believe something wasn't in place to prevent this.

I wasn't there either but there are a lot of unanswered questions.

27 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

This case is a very rare event as its hard to believe something wasn't in place to prevent this.

Definitely a rare event goes at first.

Frigates 120 meters long have top funnels even above "monkey island" or in the Navy called "Admiral's Deck"

Most corvettes have their exhausts just at the water lines and take the more sea going role of a speed or torpedo boat.

They actually build a combine with other units from frigates to mine hunters, as a convoy protection to bring in supplies or cover heavy units like destroyers or aircraft carriers... 

The exhaust low makes them more stealth, than a big smoke plume at 30 meters high above the horizon.

The piping as you mention is bend above the water line and some have even flaps which should close if the vessel lists too much, but these seeze sometimes due to lack of mantenance

If a wave punches you over the edge and you roll 45 degrees the chain reaction starts, engine chokes on water, lights out, rudder out and the next wave got you in a direction that breaks your neck.. 

You cannot cross the deck anymore to reach the emergency rudder system in the stern and that's it...

Edited by Reginald Prewster
  • Like 1