Hotels - Montri

bazmlb

Well my first time to Chiang Mai, now i wonder why i didnt come here sooner, its a great place, staying at the Montri Hotel which is really nice and great food too, best thing of all is their WiFi, its really good speed and fast, best i have had in thailand in a hotel or any shared system so far, they have set it up with all Quality Cisco Linksys products.

The Hotel is well located and a real nice place to stay just by the city gate.

Well my first time to Chiang Mai, now i wonder why i didnt come here sooner, its a great place, staying at the Montri Hotel which is really nice and great food too, best thing of all is their WiFi, its really good speed and fast, best i have had in thailand in a hotel or any shared system so far, they have set it up with all Quality Cisco Linksys products.

Baz Agree with you re the Montri - It is my preferred stop when I am staying overnight in CM rather than head back to San Kampaeng.

It is centrally located, comfortable and the staff are very pleasant. When we have the CM TV party I will be staying there - no way I am riding back home that night :o

Pleased you like our part of the country.

CB

Gotta agree with our beloved CB. I have stayed at the Montri so many times that the wonderful staff shout , "Mister Dirtbag, you are back!" every time I show up for a visit.

Just South a block or so on the same side of the road is the Top North Hotel which also has a pool where large-breasted Euros and their wives hang out and is about the same price with the added benefit of being a bit more off the noisy road out front.

The food ain't bad either but everything you could possibly want, including CrowBar's hangouts, are mere staggering distance away.

Ignore the guy lying in the gutter - that is McGriffith - toss him a coin or two...

Chiang Mai is the coolest, ain't it? :o

Gotta agree with our beloved CB. I have stayed at the Montri so many times that the wonderful staff shout , "Mister Dirtbag, you are back!" every time I show up for a visit.

Just South a block or so on the same side of the road is the Top North Hotel which also has a pool where large-breasted Euros and their wives hang out and is about the same price with the added benefit of being a bit more off the noisy road out front.

The food ain't bad either but everything you could possibly want, including CrowBar's hangouts, are mere staggering distance away.

Ignore the guy lying in the gutter - that is McGriffith - toss him a coin or two...

Chiang Mai is the coolest, ain't it? :o

What's the cost per night out of interest?

Thanks

What's the cost per night out of interest?

Thanks

From a recent post I sent to a friend:

Top North Hotel (not their Guest House) is right at Tha Phae Gate which is

as close to the center of things as you can get. 66-53-279-623

There is also the Montri Hotel just a block away but they don't have a pool.

66-53-211-069 or 070

Hope this helps

Edited by Buckwheat
URL's removed

Just a word of warning though, try to get one of the rooms at the back of the hotel if possible, as the rooms that front onto the street can be noisy. Or have they fitted double glazing in there since I last stayed there?

Chiang Mai is the coolest, ain't it? :D

Need a lot more than coins. Need to make a VERY LARGE CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTION, FAST......

Read TV BBQ thread... :o

McG

Just a word of warning though, try to get one of the rooms at the back of the hotel if possible, as the rooms that front onto the street can be noisy. Or have they fitted double glazing in there since I last stayed there?

Not sure of the front rooms, but the back rooms are great, and again the WiFi here is better than i have in Patts, might just stay here.

anyway beer makes the noises if any go away i am told, just replaces them with spinning rooms instead of noisy ones

I think that they have as the noise in front seemed muted to me, however, the back is REALLY quiet.

Montri Hotel Tel# 66-53- 211069-70

Fax# 66-53 217416

E-mail: [email protected]

web site: http://www.hotelthailand.com/chiangmai/montri/index.html

... WiFi, its really good speed and fast, best i have had in thailand in a hotel or any shared system so far, they have set it up with all Quality Cisco Linksys products ...

It's totally irrelevant what brand of hardware, they might have! What matters is their ISP ... Do you happen to know who their Internet Service Provider might be? ... Pretty much interested in learning about any Internet Service Provider that can produce such satisfied customers!

... WiFi, its really good speed and fast, best i have had in thailand in a hotel or any shared system so far, they have set it up with all Quality Cisco Linksys products ...

It's totally irrelevant what brand of hardware, they might have! What matters is their ISP ... Do you happen to know who their Internet Service Provider might be? ... Pretty much interested in learning about any Internet Service Provider that can produce such satisfied customers!

Totally irrelevant i think not, with the linksys gear you can do many more things than other access points to tweak and secure the network, the quality of their antenna's also having dual antennae helps a lot, so if the access point had a 6dB antenna as opposed to a fixed no gain antenna that wouldnt make a difference? not that they do in this case but you see my point, a well constructed network isnt just a good ISP. Its a end to end solution thats provides reliability and consistency.

The ISP is Maxnet from TT&T and is a 1mb service, I dont know the contention ratio tho, it appears to be low with the speeds acheived

Yep, Montri's a good un - high back rooms for peace and mountain view - and the recently opened Lanna Hotel, just a few paces up Thapae Road from The Gate, looks pretty good for the money, too... about 700. :o

Top North rooms are much quieter than those at the Montri. Street noise is a factor at the latter, on both sides (but quieter on the back soi side). A friend is staying at the Top North and paying only 700 baht a night, a little less than the Montri (at least at the moment).

WiFi a plus -- if you have WiFi ...

norththaihotel.com/montri.html link doesn't function (at least not today).

Totally irrelevant i think not, with the linksys gear you can do many more things than other access points to tweak and secure the network, the quality of their antenna's also having dual antennae helps a lot, so if the access point had a 6dB antenna as opposed to a fixed no gain antenna that wouldnt make a difference? not that they do in this case but you see my point, a well constructed network isnt just a good ISP. Its a end to end solution thats provides reliability and consistency.

This evening around 7, I saw a guy sitting on the steps near the pharmacies and postoffice at the beginning of Ratchadamnern across from Montri - eagerly tabbing his laptop. About an hour later he was still sitting at that obscure place, tabbing his laptop - can't quite imagine why he would sit at those stairs, if it wasn't because they provided good internet connection.

It's been more than 3 months ago, since I last took a walk with my wifi PDA - so things might have changed. However, at that time Montri's network was the only one I picked up around there ... So, so much for powerful equipment "to tweak and secure the network, the quality of their antenna's also having dual antennae helps a lot" ... Even with the least powerful equipment, available as new nowadays, the range is larger than anyone with a network - that isn't more secured than any guest can conveniently log on to it without having keys installed - would like it to be.

//Edit: Just wonder, how would someone with a laptop figure that as a good spot to sit down? Did he walk around with his turne on laptop in his arms - or did he maybe read this thread?

Edited by Cyberstar

This evening around 7, I saw a guy sitting on the steps near the pharmacies and postoffice at the beginning of Ratchadamnern across from Montri - eagerly tabbing his laptop. About an hour later he was still sitting at that obscure place, tabbing his laptop - can't quite imagine why he would sit at those stairs, if it wasn't because they provided good internet connection.

It's been more than 3 months ago, since I last took a walk with my wifi PDA - so things might have changed. However, at that time Montri's network was the only one I picked up around there ... So, so much for powerful equipment "to tweak and secure the network, the quality of their antenna's also having dual antennae helps a lot" ... Even with the least powerful equipment, available as new nowadays, the range is larger than anyone with a network - that isn't more secured than any guest can conveniently log on to it without having keys installed - would like it to be.

//Edit: Just wonder, how would someone with a laptop figure that as a good spot to sit down? Did he walk around with his turne on laptop in his arms - or did he maybe read this thread?

The Hotel has security set so a username and password is required on their WiFi

Top North rooms are much quieter than those at the Montri. Street noise is a factor at the latter, on both sides (but quieter on the back soi side).

WiFi a plus -- if you have WiFi ...

norththaihotel.com/montri.html link doesn't function (at least not today).

Please see correct URL: http://www.hotelthailand.com/chiangmai/montri/index.html

Stayed at the Montri this time in Chiang Mai. Good clean rooms with extra large king size bed and free WiFi. The restaurant has good American and Thai food and a small bar for those who consume alcohol with their meals. Cost 750 baht/night. Think they are giving 5% off for TV members staying there the party weekend in August.

Stayed at the Montri this time in Chiang Mai. Good clean rooms with extra large king size bed and free WiFi. The restaurant has good American and Thai food and a small bar for those who consume alcohol with their meals. Cost 750 baht/night. Think they are giving 5% off for TV members staying there the party weekend in August.

Good to see you're on the ball there mate..............bounce016.gif

It was probably deleted because the name of this thread is Montri Hotel not Hotels near the Montri.

And that the Montri is now a sponsor of Thaivisa.

Thats correct.

As it is stated in the sign up thread, we are welcoming Thai Visas newest sponsor, The Montri Hotel to the Forum.

When I first moved to Chiangmai many years ago, I spent at least 9 months living there continuously while job hunting and doing research on the local golden liquids. :o It was convenient, clean and excellent service. Good to see it has maintained and even improved it's standards from what members have said.

An update on the Internet there, The Hotel has two seperate Internet connections, one for the WiFi thru TT&T Maxnet and another for the Coffee shop PC's on True 1mb cable, both work quiet well