When Posting on Various Social-media Forums, Do You Always Write in the Same Style? Or Do You Mix it Up, a bit?

Dear Friends,

When posting on various social-media forums, do you always write in the same style? Or do you mix it up a bit?

The reason I ask this question is because I am just wondering about what you might do, while posting, to avoid becoming STALE.

Here is what I do:

While posting, I sometimes imagine that I am a famous author. And then, I try to emulate and duplicate the famous author’s writing style, even while communicating my own ideas.

For example, some of the writing styles I have not yet tried, except maybe during very occasional fleeting and fanciful moments, are the writing styles of authors such as Voltaire (Candide, my favorite!), Kafka (Castle, Trial, and my favorite short story, The Metamorphosis), Dostoevsky (Brothers K., another great short story), Twain (Innocents Abroad, exceedingly humorous style of writing), and a few others.

In my view, one would do well to practice writing using slightly different styles in order to avoid becoming boring to others.  And, speaking of being bored, my favorite quote from Zelda’s writing is: 'She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring.’ -Zelda Fitzgerald

Of course, nobody is able to go through life writing in only one style. We must focus on pleasing our audience, for one. And, when we write for children, then we must appropriately change our style in order to more effectively communicate with our little friends. And when I say “little friends” I am using the phrase that most Chinese use to refer to people under the age of about 10. In Chinese, “little friends” is translated XiaoPengYou-小朋友.

So, really, I am asking how others here stay fresh when posting comments on forums.

What strategies have you attempted to use, recently?

Best regards,

And may your writing never be boring,

GammaGlobbulin

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

49 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Friends,

When posting on various social-media forums, do you always write in the same style? Or do you mix it up a bit?

The reason I ask this question is because I am just wondering about what you might do, while posting, to avoid becoming STALE.

Here is what I do:

While posting, I sometimes imagine that I am a famous author. And then, I try to emulate and duplicate the famous author’s writing style, even while communicating my own ideas.

Dostoevsky (Brothers K., another great short story), 

Fantastic story it is. Short it is not.

It's great that this forum lets kooks like this spout absolute rubbish.

It's probably great therapy for them to unleash their stream of (unbalanced) conciousness on the general population. 

Meanwhile I would offer a word of advice - it used to be "don't drink and dial" but now it's "don't puff and post".

Although I suspect this outpouring seems more like yaba than weed.

Edited by nglodnig

18 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

It's great that this forum lets kooks like this spout absolute rubbish.

It's probably great therapy for them to unleash their stream of (unbalanced) conciousness on the general population. 

Meanwhile I would offer a word of advice - it used to be "don't drink and dial" but now it's "don't puff and post".

Although I suspect this outpouring seems more like yaba than weed.

You know, I am really thankful you broached this subject of kooks in your comment, or I might have needed to mention the word, myself.

In my view, if one wants to remain young in one's old age, and wishes to be creative at any age, then one should strive to be playful in thought and spirit.

Let me give you an example:

I don't know if you have read much of the writings of Richard Stallman, but he is one of my many heroes.

Stallman was pretty much at the forefront of the opensource movement, and I think he might have even coined the term, COPYLEFT, as opposed to COPYRIGHT.

He is also known for his work on the Linux Kernel, and we all now realize that almost anytime we use any piece of "smart" electronics, any electronic device, such as, even a smart toaster, or drive our cars, it is LINUX that is embedded in the control systems of all the electronic devices we see around us.

Linux is so versatile because it is OPENSOURCE and the code can be easily modified by anyone to suit any specific requirement.

Stallman has been viciously attacked in the past, but he just keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.

He is able to do so because, he says, he has a very playful mind.

Is he a KOOK?

Yes! Definitely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

You can tell just from some of his photos...

image.jpeg.bebeccc9332bdad923107f4fd4265686.jpeg

This photo is DEFINITELY NOT his kookiest, however.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

why is he a kook there? because he's not wearing a blue suit and a tie? 

No!

The previously posted photo is not kooky.  (The photo I posted previously is conservative and handsome.)

BUT....THIS ONE is!

image.jpeg.578ddbf1cd4afd3d3d1b4047756fe71c.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1