Charities in Thailand; local, national?

notrub

We have accumulated too much 'stuff'.  Cloths, building supplies and misc. 'things' that we don't want or need that I would like to give away.  We are in a small rural village 90 km north of Buriram city.  I do not want to just dump all these things at the local wat for  people to rummage through in 'lucky dip' way.  Both for personal and practical reasons.  I would like to find an oxfam or goodwill Thai equivalent, hopefully local to this area.  Any ideas?  I have been told (by my 'absence of empathy' wife that charities do not exist in Thailand.  I find this hard to believe.  Any ideas will be gratefully received. ????

5 hours ago, notrub said:

We have accumulated too much 'stuff'.  Cloths, building supplies and misc. 'things' that we don't want or need that I would like to give away.  We are in a small rural village 90 km north of Buriram city.  I do not want to just dump all these things at the local wat for  people to rummage through in 'lucky dip' way.  Both for personal and practical reasons.  I would like to find an oxfam or goodwill Thai equivalent, hopefully local to this area.  Any ideas?  I have been told (by my 'absence of empathy' wife that charities do not exist in Thailand.  I find this hard to believe.  Any ideas will be gratefully received. ????

Not sure why you don't want to leave your items at a Tempke so not sure if my idea will fit.

I have never seen a charity outlet. Charities exist but I believe they are mainly  affiliated to international organisations, such as UNICEF. 

I was going to suggest, seeing as you appear to be in a rather remote area, going to a local school. Out in the sticks there are many small schools serving one or two villages. The kids there would be grateful.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Love It 1

Thanks for comments.  I have written to Tim at Helpthai and will see where that goes.  There are plenty of small schools around here, including one in our village too.  I am looking to do something other than just dumping a bunch of stuff in the schoolyard or at the wat as a 'free for all' to whoever spots it first.  Also, I am not too keen to have everybody in the village knowing that it is my stuff that they are inspecting and commenting on.  We have our share of nosey busybodies and drawing attention to myself in any way is something I would like to avoid.  Thanks for your ideas.  More please????

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are many excellent Children’s Charities in Thailand. Including:

Foundation for the Better Life of Children

Who they help: Underprivileged children.

How they help: They house children and accept donations such as food, stationery and toys, as well as more essential everyday items like clothes, shoes and toothbrushes. 

100/475 Chaeng Wattana Soi 10, Laksi. 02-574-1381, 02-574-3753, 02-574-6162. www.fblcthai.org

Phayathai Babies’ Home

Who they help: Orphaned babies.

How they help: They house and take care of unwanted newborn babies until a permanent home can be arranged for them.

78/24 Moo 1, Phumwet Rd., Pakkret, Nonthaburi, 02-584-7253/-5, www.phayathaibabieshome.com

The CCF Foundation under the Royal patronage of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn

Who they help: Children in need.

How they help: They help provide needy children across the country with educational opportunities and basic health services.

36/4 Chalermprakiat Soi 9, Pravet, 02-747-2600, www.ccfthai.or.th

World Vision

Who they help: Underprivileged children.

How they help: Helping improve the lives of children through education, health care and good nutrition.

582/18-22 Sukhumvit Soi 63, 02-381-8863/-5, www.worldvision.or.th

Rajvithi Home for Girls, Pakkred Home for Boys

Who they help: Kids at risk of dropping out of school and ending up on the streets.

How they help: They house these children and make sure they receive a proper education.

255 Ratchavithi Rd., 02-354-7483-5. www.rajvithihome.org

Pakkred: 2 Moo 1, Phumvet Rd., 02-583-8343, www.pakkredhome.org

Ban Khru Noi

Who they help: Slum children.

How they help: Offer shelter, food and education to poor children.

319 Moo 1, Ratchaburana Soi 26, 02-871-3083, www.moobankru.com/bankrunoi/bankrunoi.htm

Duang Prateep Foundation

Who they help: Slum children and the elderly.

How they help: Provide foster homes for orphaned or unwanted children and provide them with a formal education as well as introducing them to life-long learning activities.

34 Lock 6, Ard-narong Rd., Klong Toey, 02-671-4045/-8, 02-249-4880, www.dpf.or.th

Good Shepherd Sisters

Who they help: non-profit organization dedicated to developing the quality of life of all those in need.

How they help: Their Day Care Centre now takes care of 140 children of the women who work at the Fatima Centre and other small children from poor families in the neighbourhood, who are at risk.

4128 /1 Soi Bot Mae Phra Fatima, Din Daeng, Bangkok 10400. 02 245 0457. www.goodshepherdbangkok.com

Mercy Centre

Who they help:  the children and communities of the many slums of Bangkok.

How they help: build and operate schools, improve family health and welfare, protect street children’s rights, respond to daily emergencies, and offer shelter to orphans, to street children, and to children and adults with AIDS.

The Human Development Foundation, 100/11 Kae-ha Klong Toey 4, Dhamrongratthaphiphat Rd., Klong Toey, Bangkok 10110 Thailand. 02 671-5313. www.mercycentre.org

Bright Dawn Foundation

Who they help: primary school children in the Prachuabkirikhan area of Thailand.

How they help: healthcare and educational support. “Offering a hand up, not a hand out”.

62 Soi 26/2,  Ramkhamhaeng Road, Hua Mark Sub-District, Bangkapi District, Bangkok 10240. www.brightdawnFoundation.org.

Gift of Happiness Foundation

Who they help: Their mission is to ensure that needy children and families in Thailand are provided with the resources and opportunities needed to sustain a meaningful, healthy, and happy life.

How they help: The people they serve are ALWAYS in great need of used or new essentials, like toys, children’s clothing and educational supplies.

Gift of Happiness Foundation, Onnut Road, Soi 36, House number 202, Alley 36., Khwaeng Suan Luang, Khet Suan Luang, Bangkok. 10250. Tel/Fax: +66 (0) 2.7421191.

https://www.gohappiness.org/

• Like 1
  • Love It 1