Loei city, anything much to do?

Kenny202

Planning a trip through Loei up to Chiang Kahn later this month and apart from scenery / sightseeing areas on the way, is there anything worthwhile to see in the actual township of Loei? Was planning a day having a look around but if it is the same as every other Isaan town probably give it a miss. Is it a spread out or compact (walk around) city...Any decent restaurants etc?

Appreciate any info 

Stayed in a great room there. Town is just average though. Chiang Khan is better. The drive from Pak Chom to Chiang Khan is awesome. Chiang Khan has lots of nice restaurants. Id stay there on the river 3 or 4 nights. West of centre is best. I will find the hotel name for you.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Loei city, not much there, although that was quite some time ago, but can't imagine much changing.  One section is walkable and enough around.  

Fountain Circle / Kings Hotel and lake area.  Use to have a night market (mostly food) set up behind hotel.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:41 AM, Kenny202 said:

Planning a trip through Loei up to Chiang Kahn later this month and apart from scenery / sightseeing areas on the way, is there anything worthwhile to see in the actual township of Loei? Was planning a day having a look around but if it is the same as every other Isaan town probably give it a miss. Is it a spread out or compact (walk around) city...Any decent restaurants etc?

Appreciate any info 

Having visited/lived in Loei for the past 25 years I would have to say no. Loei is famous for its mountains Phukradeung, Phuluang, Phu Rua. The park is quite nice to walk around in the centre with water around it. The nightlife is quiet, if you wanted to meet up with local expats Friday nights are the best time, Kebab Plus is where you are likely to bump into them, just so has not to upset anyone there is also the Saloon Pub (there are other Thai bars on the same soi) 

Loei is best on a motorbike, on and off road, but Chiang Khan is nice, especially enjoying a morning coffe in the window post from one of the riverside hotels at main street, and a better breakfest at 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/saP6MhtXj1rjnWYF9

The night marked is also quite ok, even for one who really do not like markeds at all. 

Not really related to your question about Loei city but if you're in the area, an afternoon on a raft at Huai Krathing Reservoir is a good idea. The vendor stocks a raft with food and beer, and then tows your personal raft out into the middle f the reservoir. Very relaxing. Call them when you've had enough. 

I agree that Chiang Khan is nice and I've also stayed at the Chiangkhan River Mountain Resort. I  thought it was good but next time I might want to stay on the walking street as they had some nice places there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

Not really related to your question about Loei city but if you're in the area, an afternoon on a raft at Huai Krathing Reservoir is a good idea. The vendor stocks a raft with food and beer, and then tows your personal raft out into the middle f the reservoir. Very relaxing. Call them when you've had enough. 

I agree that Chiang Khan is nice and I've also stayed at the Chiangkhan River Mountain Resort. I  thought it was good but next time I might want to stay on the walking street as they had some nice places there. 

Yes, it is nice. The lake is surrounded by lush vegetation and the water is clear (at least when we visited 2 years ago). The drive from Chiang Khan along the Mekong River to Nong Kia is spectacular, with many good spots to stop for a gawk, but is a bit tricky to find at the Chiang Khan end.

A post using a foreign language has been removed as this is an English language forum.  English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed. 

"Planning a trip through Loei up to Chiang Kahn later this month and apart from scenery / sightseeing areas on the way, is there anything worthwhile to see in the actual township of Loei?"

You could look for a building where they may be painting the outside and watch it dry!....I spent a year one weekend in Loei!.....It took me about 3 hours to find a 7/11!

Joking apart the nearby scenery is stunning, particularly if you drive up to the Mekong..... But, Loei Town/City or whatever they call it is about as much fun as a party in a Convent!

Vatican women's magazine blames drop in nuns on abuses

For once We Know What He Didn't get up to? Or can we guess?....They all look happy!...... ????????????   Dirty Habits ???

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

"Planning a trip through Loei up to Chiang Kahn later this month and apart from scenery / sightseeing areas on the way, is there anything worthwhile to see in the actual township of Loei?"

You could look for a building where they may be painting the outside and watch it dry!....I spent a year one weekend in Loei!.....It took me about 3 hours to find a 7/11!

Joking apart the nearby scenery is stunning, particularly if you drive up to the Mekong..... But, Loei Town/City or whatever they call it is about as much fun as a party in a Convent!

Vatican women's magazine blames drop in nuns on abuses

For once We Know What He Didn't get up to? Or can we guess?....They all look happy!...... ????????????   Dirty Habits ???

Took me 5 minutes to find 7/11

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

Took me 5 minutes to find 7/11

Well I went there for the first and hopefully the last time in 2014......I guess the Vermin 7/11 have leeched their way into the Zombie towns now as well?

Saloon Bar is the place to go. Best on weekends. In Chiang Khan stay in one of the many guesthouses with river view on Chai Kong Road. A drive along the river road to Nong Khai is very interesting. Stop at HiSo Bannork restaurant (ไฮโซ-บ้านนอก) in Ban Hat Kamphi. Google maps: 42VC+HRQ, Hat Kamphi Unfortunately open only on weekends during lunch time but their slow-cooked ribs are spectacular.

31 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

it has been said the best weed in Thailand is in Loei, how true I dont know 

Makes sense, mountains and rivers. And very wary of "best weed in Thailand", as it usually means you will be in a coma for 12 hours lol

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:52 AM, bignok said:

Chiangkhan River Mountain Resort

My wife's childhood friend & her husband own that hotel in Chiang Khan.  I believe that they also own the Loei Village Hotel in Amphur Muang Loei, about 300 meters from the hospital.

image.png.07fe74deb2edb659f7791a22d6905fea.png

I lived in Loei for two years back in 1977-79.  It's still rather boring.   They recently put new stairs, walkways and viewing platforms at Phu Bo Bit (just across the river) .  It's worth the climb, especially if you  do it at sunrise or sunset.