Sandflies

ThaiPauly

Does anyone else really suffer with these little critters?

I got a pasting just walking on the beach on Friday, brought Deet yesterday and put on liberally this morning but got a bite as soon as I sat down which has made my forearm swell up like Popeye.!

I was also recommended Sanobet cream and calamine lotion, but right now it's really quite painful and just keeps on swelling.

It seems for some unknown reason they are attracted to me, I was sitting with 3 others in a deck chair on the beach and nobody else got bitten....why me?

I was seasoned many years ago, working in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. A bout of sandfly fever, then basically immune from then on.

You may be one of those people who has developed an excessive immune response to the bite. It gets worse with every bite, so your best strategy is to avoid sandfly areas entirely.

I don't know about sandflies being attracted to certain people. I do know if there is a mosquito in our bedroom, it will home in on my GF every time, and ignore me.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I was sitting with 3 others in a deck chair on the beach and nobody else got bitten....why me?

Many insects are attracted or repelled by odor,  change yours and see what happens.  Might just be that deodorant you have used for decades.

Three in a chair, hmmm….

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was seasoned many years ago, working in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. A bout of sandfly fever, then basically immune from then on.

You may be one of those people who has developed an excessive immune response to the bite. It gets worse with every bite, so your best strategy is to avoid sandfly areas entirely.

I don't know about sandflies being attracted to certain people. I do know if there is a mosquito in our bedroom, it will home in on my GF every time, and ignore me.

Yikes, I'm in the process of moving to HH to enjoy the beaches, looks like that is gonna be a challenge  now!

IMO They are not Sandflies they are sand flees, so small you can't see them, sometimes don't feel it then their acid sets in, Sandflies are the same almost the same as a horse fly

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Many insects are attracted or repelled by odor,  change yours and see what happens.  Might just be that deodorant you have used for decades.

Three in a chair, hmmm….

Well spotted :cheesy:  

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

IMO They are not Sandflies they are sand flees, so small you can't see them, sometimes don't feel it then their acid sets in, Sandflies are the same almost the same as a horse fly

The sand flies I encountered in the Pilbara were smaller than the full stop at the end of this sentence.

image.jpeg.6e668105bb837d2f3e38fe7690ca4f93.jpegThis is a horse fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

AS i said if that small Sand Flees. NOT sand flies

You said sand flies were the same size as horse flies, have you forgotten what you posted already?

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You said sand flies were the same size as horse flies, have you forgotten what you posted already?

Not that tricky to understand was it ???  
got to love the propensity for sone to argue the irrelevant & still get it wrong !!! 

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

It seems for some unknown reason they are attracted to me, I was sitting with 3 others in a deck chair on the beach and nobody else got bitten....why me?

You were the sacrificial anode !!! 

They nail me too…

Load up with deet before hitting the sand….

Take antihistamine tablets & apply antihistamine cream once attacked.

Thats all I can do…

Koh Samet & Koh Chang are the worst areas in Thailand for this IMO. 

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

They are, NO read it again 

When you say the same, it also means other attributes such as size.

BTW, it's fleas. I've never heard of an insect named a flee.

I've read your post enough times for boredom to set in, goodbye.

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, I reckon so. Also Mae Rim Phim and other Eastern beach areas. My wife and son have no problems with these creatures, but every bite I get swells up like a small boil, and itches incessantly. Not sure why it's just me, maybe because I am a different blood group to my family?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You were the sacrificial anode !!! 

They nail me too…

Load up with deet before hitting the sand….

Take antihistamine tablets & apply antihistamine cream once attacked.

Thats all I can do…

I have had Din (red top soil) delivered to me on KC it was full of those sand Fleas  had to spay it with insecticide. I never sit at restaurant beach tables in the evening. (There I got the spelling right  :giggle:) Don't want to upset the grammar police.

Edited by brianthainess

21 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Three in a chair, hmmm….

22 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I was sitting with 3 others in a deck chair on the beach and nobody else got bitten....why me?

it was actually 4 people sitting in a deck chair -  good effort!!

sandflies and biting midges also love me! However the issue is not that they are more attracted to some people than others - it is simply that the immune response and subsequent allergic/histaminic reaction is stronger in people like the author and myself.  other people will be bitten and have no or very little reaction.

sand flees (?) must be a newly discovered species lol - i better do a bit of research on those ????

• Love It 1

Just now, ThaiPauly said:

Yikes, I'm in the process of moving to HH to enjoy the beaches, looks like that is gonna be a challenge  now!

20230711_153955.jpg

This is my worst bite, I have many others but my wife wants me to go to hospital tomorrow to see the dermatologist  as she says it looks very angry

4 day old bite

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 8:33 PM, brianthainess said:

Normally any mosquito spray/cream works, but normally IME they bite around the ankles..... 

same here i used to chug sweet tea all day and they would go to the ankles when sweating the sugar out....i switched to lemon water with salt and much better...also eating basil--garlic chili etc works as they go for the sweat scent....i make it stinky for em now...aka stinky falang!!!

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2023 at 2:49 PM, brianthainess said:

I have had Din (red top soil) delivered to me on KC it was full of those sand Fleas  had to spay it with insecticide. I never sit at restaurant beach tables in the evening. (There I got the spelling right  :giggle:) Don't want to upset the grammar police.

You appear to be confusing spelling with grammar.

Every so often when I was a manager, I would have to vet job applications. Those with incorrect spelling  immediately went into the circular file. If someone could not be bothered to correctly spell an important document which could change their lives, why should I bother reading it?

BTW, it's SPRAY with insecticide. To SPAY with insecticide implies a new method of veterinary surgery. Keep working on it, OK?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/11/2023 at 10:40 AM, Lacessit said:

You appear to be confusing spelling with grammar.

Every so often when I was a manager, I would have to vet job applications. Those with incorrect spelling  immediately went into the circular file. If someone could not be bothered to correctly spell an important document which could change their lives, why should I bother reading it?

BTW, it's SPRAY with insecticide. To SPAY with insecticide implies a new method of veterinary surgery. Keep working on it, OK?

Perhaps we could all send our posts to you for quality control to prevent some of the anally retentive forum members from commenting on irrelevant typo's and grammatical slips.... :whistling:

• Haha 1