O/A-based renewal at Surin

Just doing some forward planning, having done my 90-day report today, taking me to Sunday 8 October for the next one.

As a result of the covid extension of 3 weeks granted out of the blue a year or more ago, my annual renewal is out of kilter with my 90-day reporting. My next annual renewal is due 30 October. Can I bring that forward to 13 October (ie 2.5 weeks in advance) to coincide with doing my next 90-day report 5 days late?

Not sure of the general rule on this (2 weeks in advance? 3? 4?) And unaware of what Surin might apply (having missed the opportunity to ask there this morning in a busy & understaffed office), but can check later to be sure. Any useful comment appreciated.

19 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Just doing some forward planning, having done my 90-day report today, taking me to Sunday 8 October for the next one.

As a result of the covid extension of 3 weeks granted out of the blue a year or more ago, my annual renewal is out of kilter with my 90-day reporting. My next annual renewal is due 30 October. Can I bring that forward to 13 October (ie 2.5 weeks in advance) to coincide with doing my next 90-day report 5 days late?

Not sure of the general rule on this (2 weeks in advance? 3? 4?) And unaware of what Surin might apply (having missed the opportunity to ask there this morning in a busy & understaffed office), but can check later to be sure. Any useful comment appreciated.

I don't know what rules apply in Surin. But I have done my Yearly renewal retirement visa some 5 weeks in advance without any problems before in Kamphaeng Phet. I/O.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I don't know what rules apply in Surin. But I have done my Yearly renewal retirement visa some 5 weeks in advance without any problems before in Kamphaeng Phet. I/O.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'll no doubt ring Surin Immi closer to the time but I didn't want to do the complex planning that's involved every year (bank papers & health insurance) only to find I got the date wrong & have to do everything over again ...

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Annual extensions can be done up to 30 days early.

45 days at some offices.

Why don't you do your 90 day report online?

Thanks. More reassurance.

I do the 90-day in person because (1) it's on the way to Robinson outside Muaeng Surin so it's easy to drop in and recover later with a nice meal & some shopping (2) about once a week someone announces on AN that the online reporting is 'down' and about once every 2 months Immi announces that their 'new' reporting system is up & running online ... so I've never bothered to try it. No big deal from my point of view.

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Thanks. More reassurance.

I do the 90-day in person because (1) it's on the way to Robinson outside Muaeng Surin so it's easy to drop in and recover later with a nice meal & some shopping (2) about once a week someone announces on AN that the online reporting is 'down' and about once every 2 months Immi announces that their 'new' reporting system is up & running online ... so I've never bothered to try it. No big deal from my point of view.

The 90-day reporting system was very flaky in the first couple of years of its existence. It now usually works very well, and after the first time you use it will take you less than five minutes for each subsequent report.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'll no doubt ring Surin Immi closer to the time but I didn't want to do the complex planning that's involved every year (bank papers & health insurance) only to find I got the date wrong & have to do everything over again ...

Cheers

I don't know what Visa you have but all they require from me at K.P.Phet is 1 Snap, Form, Bank letter.

I pop into the Bank get a letter takes around 15 Min: then onto I/O fill out form. Whilst doing that the Wife deals with the I/Officer and they start doing what they have to do. I then present filled out paper and all's finished in around 25 min: Total time is never more than 1 hour 15 min: Oh forgot the 1.900BHT cost. K.P.Phet has a very good I/O. 

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I don't know what Visa you have but all they require from me at K.P.Phet is 1 Snap, Form, Bank letter.

I pop into the Bank get a letter takes around 15 Min: then onto I/O fill out form. Whilst doing that the Wife deals with the I/Officer and they start doing what they have to do. I then present filled out paper and all's finished in around 25 min: Total time is never more than 1 hour 15 min: Oh forgot the 1.900BHT cost. K.P.Phet has a very good I/O. 

I wish. More complex for me (O/A as mentioned). Used to take an hour, now anything up to 3 hours depending on 'traffic' and how many new queries they can dream up (always about the bank papers).

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The 90-day reporting system was very flaky in the first couple of years of its existence. It now usually works very well, and after the first time you use it will take you less than five minutes for each subsequent report.

Thanks. I'll keep in mind for a rainy day (or a car-free one).

My next annual renewal is due 30 October. Can I bring that forward to 13 October (ie 2.5 weeks in advance) to coincide with doing my next 90-day report 5 days late?

As mentioned by others any office will allow the renewal up to 30 days in advance; some 45 days.  

And definitely don't wait till the last day/30 Oct to renew your extension as "unexpected stuff can happen" which might prevent the office from being open or you not able to go to the office....or the immigration needs additional paperwork you never had to provide before....etc....etc.....etc. 

Renew at least a few weeks in advance....you do "not" lose any time off your new extension due date by applying early.   Trying to keep 1 of 4 annual 90 address reports in sync with your extension due date would rate low priority in my book. 

And give the online 90 day reporting system a try....it actually works a LOT better than the previous online system.  And for those reports where the online system rejects a report then you can do a report in person.  Yea, the latest online system definitely works pretty good in most cases. 

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I wish. More complex for me (O/A as mentioned). Used to take an hour, now anything up to 3 hours depending on 'traffic' and how many new queries they can dream up (always about the bank papers).

I am married to a Thai but I still do a retirement visa. Just too much agro doing a married one. I have put my 800k into a deposit account fixed for 3 years at a time. That make life very easy. I do know that not everyone can do it that way but I put the monies in when there was 68BHT= 1UK pound. The interest was better than the UK at the time. Sadly not any more. Hope it all goes well for you next time.

Edited by fredob43

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I am married to a Thai but I still do a retirement visa. Just too much agro doing a married one. I have put my 800k into a deposit account fixed for 3 years at a time. That make life very easy. I do know that not everyone can do it that way but I put the monies in when there was 68BHT= 1UK pound. The interest was better than the UK at the time. Sadly not any more. Hope it all goes well for you next time.

I use the monthly 65K method. I prefer to keep my funds earning in Oz rather than sitting in a Thai bank account. But we all make up our own minds on what's best and we all both benefit from & suffer the consequences ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I wish. More complex for me (O/A as mentioned).

Find your thread strange.

First up only your first extension from a non O retirement starts your 90 day report count.

After that that the 90 day report has nothing to do with annual extensions.

Regards your extensions from a Non O-A, almost everyone has ditched that and moved to a Non O retirement or if married to Thai changed based on retirement to based on marriage as both those options avoid silly insurance requirements.

Weird thread. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Online is easy. Most people in Surin use it.

Don't forget to look for local internet forums that will add local information.

17 hours ago, fredob43 said:

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

You can do it up to 15 days early

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Weird thread. 

The point of the thread was really just to check - for forward planning purposes - that I can do my next renewal of stay on 13 Oct instead of the scheduled 30 Oct.

As to the "silly insurance requirements" they are for me at age 74 expensive but not silly.

Edited by mfd101

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The only difference between an O and OA extension is the insurance certificate.

Consider looking into the 10 year LTR if you qualify. It requires insurance but if you are already on an OA you’ve got that covered.

18 minutes ago, MPoll said:

The only difference between an O and OA extension is the insurance certificate.

Consider looking into the 10 year LTR if you qualify. It requires insurance but if you are already on an OA you’ve got that covered.

Yes, no matter what regime I'm on - OA, O or LTR - I still at my age need & want the same highish level of insurance cover.  Which means there's no point - for me - in going through the rigmarole of changing from OA to O.

As to the LTR & variants, I keep them in mind but am a bit sceptical of the benefits and of long-term financial commitments within the Thai cultural & political bubble.

47 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, no matter what regime I'm on - OA, O or LTR - I still at my age need & want the same highish level of insurance cover.  Which means there's no point - for me - in going through the rigmarole of changing from OA to O.

The problems that many have reported when using a Non O-A visa is that their truly excellent international coverage is not accepted, and they must buy an inferior Thai approved policy in addition purely for visa purposes. That is less of a problem with the LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) policy where the BOI is more flexible as long as you are really covered.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The problems that many have reported when using a Non O-A visa is that their truly excellent international coverage is not accepted, and they must buy an inferior Thai approved policy in addition purely for visa purposes. That is less of a problem with the LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) policy where the BOI is more flexible as long as you are really covered.

Not a problem if your health cover is Thai-based, as mine is (PC). Though of course Thai-based brings a different set of issues ...

We live in an imperfect world.

22 hours ago, mfd101 said:

As to the LTR & variants, I keep them in mind but am a bit sceptical of the benefits and of long-term financial commitments within the Thai cultural & political bubble.

I eventually decided that the LTR was a little more expensive than the OA but not by much. Now that I have it I have to say that psychologically it really feels good to not have the reporting or bank requirements. 

I already had the insurance covered because of my previous OA. I also believe in insurance regardless of whether it is an OA or O but not having your visa tied to your insurance seems to me give people a little more flexibility. My insurance strategy is to have a high level of coverage and a high deductible. I only plan to use the insurance for something serious. My costs are a little less than what I was paying in the US.

If someone is going to worry about Thailand changing visa requirements in the future then you might as well worry about all the visa categories. Western countries change immigration policies as well.. We all accept that risk when we move overseas.

Edited by MPoll
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MPoll said:

I eventually decided that the LTR was a little more expensive than the OA but not by much. Now that I have it I have to say that psychologically it really feels good to not have the reporting or bank requirements. 

I already had the insurance covered because of my previous OA. I also believe in insurance regardless of whether it is an OA or O but not having your visa tied to your insurance seems to me give people a little more flexibility. My insurance strategy is to have a high level of coverage and a high deductible. I only plan to use the insurance for something serious. My costs are a little less than what I was paying in the US.

If someone is going to worry about Thailand changing visa requirements in the future then you might as well worry about all the visa categories. Western countries change immigration policies as well.. We all accept that risk when we move overseas.

Yes, good points. I will bare in mind for next year. Thanks

1 hour ago, MPoll said:

Amen Brother!!!....especially the first sentence.