router trim bit - Thai terminology

gamb00ler

I'm looking for a router bit to cut an acrylic countertop opening for an undermount ceramic sink.  The cabinet crew opened the boxes for the sinks and must have tossed out the template that is usually included with the sink.

The type of bit I'm looking for has a bearing at the lower end so that the router will trace out the shape of the ceramic sink.

Probably @sometimewoodworker will understand immediately what I'm looking for and hopefully knows the Thai name for this type of bit.

I did a little further reading and I think what is needed is an adjustable rabbiting bit.

Edited by gamb00ler

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess that is what you are looking for:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/total-14-12-tacsr0104121-12-pcs-14-router-bits-set-i804702843-s1631400326.html

You can also search for a picture of an item (in Englich) and then use that picture to search i.e. in Lazada.

It is hard to see if there are adjustable rabbiting bits in that set.  For precise countertop/sink installations the diameter of the bearing and the height of the cutting edge both must be adjustable.  For that price, I doubt that the precise required bit is included.

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

It is hard to see if there are adjustable rabbiting bits in that set.  For precise countertop/sink installations the diameter of the bearing and the height of the cutting edge both must be adjustable.  For that price, I doubt that the precise required bit is included.

My idea was to give you something to start, like the Thai name.

ดอกเราเตอร์ แกน

Maybe search for that or similar items from the same manufacturer and/or seller.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Maybe a trip to ITOOLMART Toolshop is in order. South of the airport so not far from Hang Dong

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I'm looking for a router bit to cut an acrylic countertop opening for an undermount ceramic sink.  The cabinet crew opened the boxes for the sinks and must have tossed out the template that is usually included with the sink.

The type of bit I'm looking for has a bearing at the lower end so that the router will trace out the shape of the ceramic sink.

Probably @sometimewoodworker will understand immediately what I'm looking for and hopefully knows the Thai name for this type of bit.

I did a little further reading and I think what is needed is an adjustable rabbiting bit.

The standard is a flush trim or pattern bit

IMG_5853.thumb.jpeg.2ffeab3af278f59b942d2f991544e216.jpegIMG_5856.thumb.jpeg.ed64866d20accf02d308523b4bce963e.jpeg

they are available with top bearings (easy to find) bottom bearings (big bit small shank) and dual bearings.

you can put the template on the surface (easy) or underneath (not so easy)

While you can use a rabbiting bit with different bearings like these IMG_5854.thumb.jpeg.f9bee009d0505dcb5d6757fc761532f7.jpeg

you will not find them in Thailand and they are almost certainly a poor choice for the job.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Ideally the countertop should opening have a very small overhang that will somewhat conceal the joint between the ceramic sink and the acrylic countertop that needs to be sealed with silicon.  That's why I was hoping for a bit where the bearing diameter could be changed.  As it is, they are using free hand router style to estimate/guestimate the appropriate overhang.

Edited by gamb00ler

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Ideally the countertop should opening have a very small overhang that will somewhat conceal the joint between the ceramic sink and the acrylic countertop that needs to be sealed with silicon.  That's why I was hoping for a bit where the bearing diameter could be changed.  As it is, they are using free hand router style to estimate/guestimate the appropriate overhang.

Both of those are a bodge job.

you should make a template out of MDF and use that after using a jigsaw to clear the largest part out.

I hope they don’t make a dog’s dinner of the job

FWIW the granite guys did an acceptable job, but on overlay items.