Translating English to Thai

jwest10

Hi

Yes I know F/B has a reactive translation converting to English and yes I know can use Google to type English and send to a facebook site but how can one trnslate Thai to English the reverse way but do not think it is that easy?
Thanks all and yeah it might seem a strange question but thanks all

Edited by jwest10
spelling

17 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I think he is asking how to translate from English to Thai and confirm the translation is, in fact correct as most people who live here know what google translate from/to Thai often comes out as gibberish.

What I normally do is use google translate and then I feed the translated Thai sentence back to google to be translated back to English to check if it makes sense. Not bullet proof, but it works most of the time,

That's what I was trying to say.. Copy the Thai translation, hit the reverse arrow and paste it into the Thai section. If it makes sense in English then it's a good chance the Thai translation is good. If not, back to the drawing board and change the words you use until you get the right result.

Understanding Thai a bit helps a lot to short cut the process. I hit the play button and see if I can understand it.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I think he is asking how to translate from English to Thai and confirm the translation is, in fact correct as most people who live here know what google translate from/to Thai often comes out as gibberish.

What I normally do is use google translate and then I feed the translated Thai sentence back to google to be translated back to English to check if it makes sense. Not bullet proof, but it works most of the time,

That's what Ozi was explaining and the best way get a near enough result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I don't really understand your question Google translate has a reverse arrow icon to simply switch the language. I use google translate a lot and the translations for everyday conversation are generally quite good. Sometimes you need to play with the English words in a sentence a bit to get it to translate the way you want it.

As stated above there are icons to both copy and listen to the translation.

Thanks ozimoron and all

Yes I found out eventually lol just by accident a couple of weeks ago and used to write down the broken Thai down before sending it.
Last week I noticed a very small box with copy in it and thought would try it.
Yes my Thai friend and placed the curser on the messenger and Control V and went as Thai.
I know the Thai  to English worked as I was using the screen and did the same process and tried to send me a message and pasted it but came out in Thai and believe have to mucjk round with the settings.
Ah well it is me who would do most of the posting, if not all.
Thanks  so much an yes did google and sounds too technical but it worked when  I pasted as above.

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Celsius
Thanks mate and yes I do that but it gets posted as I want in Thai and was trying and playing around with it to see if I could do it the reverse way so to speak but will have to try my Thai friend to try it,
As I do just about all the posting and know one can muck around with the settings and before two weeks ago lol I used to write it all down until I saw the little box t the bottom to copy.
tThanks so much all

2 hours ago, McTavish said:

Many news sites are using ChatGPT now

Here's another example of how to use it >

image.png.8a970bf9068f08c79ec92d347939889d.png

You don't get it do you.

The phrase 'I love you' when spoken by a male to a female is 'phom rak khun'. Spoken by a female to a male it is 'chan rak khun'. However, when speaking about love, these terms are quite formal or traditional and aren't always used.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You don't get it do you.

The phrase 'I love you' when spoken by a male to a female is 'phom rak khun'. Spoken by a female to a male it is 'chan rak khun'. However, when speaking about love, these terms are quite formal or traditional and aren't always used.

What don't I get?  I was merely providing an example of translations via ChatGPT, I'm not teaching Thai. 

Having raised the point you clearly demonstrated why I am personally against the use of ChatGPT for 'news' reporting and often warn against following those sites which use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, McTavish said:

What don't I get?  I was merely providing an example of translations via ChatGPT, I'm not teaching Thai. 

Having raised the point you clearly demonstrated why I am personally against the use of ChatGPT for 'news' reporting and often warn against following those sites which use it.

Carm down and have a beer I was only pointing out English to Thai ain't that simple.

• Like 1

Translation will never be perfect because the language structure is completely different and different definitions of words, and also region variations of the language. Most Thais can decipher and understand well enough. Though up here in Lanna land where some don’t speak formal bkk Thai or very little, then it can be a little challenging especially when they try to speak in the google translate, it comes out pretty messed up.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

Translation will never be perfect because the language structure is completely different and different definitions of words, and also region variations of the language. Most Thais can decipher and understand well enough. Though up here in Lanna land where some don’t speak formal bkk Thai or very little, then it can be a little challenging especially when they try to speak in the google translate, it comes out pretty messed up.

If you are a good singer no problem so go do Karaoke and your Thai language skills will improve. ????

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If you are a good singer no problem so go do Karaoke and your Thai language skills will improve. ????

+1, for sure singing a a great way to learn a language. But unfortunately I can’t even sing a half note anymore 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, novacova said:

+1, for sure singing a a great way to learn a language. But unfortunately I can’t even sing a half note anymore 

My problem and excuse is I'm tone deaf and as a matter of fact I find it difficult to speak Thai.

That said I know enough Thai to get by and never have a problem wherever I am in Thailand.

My wife and I speak Thaiglish which has never been a problem and many a time getting into funny situations.

16 hours ago, jwest10 said:

how can one trnslate Thai to English the reverse way but do not think it is that easy?

Here's an eye opener for you, probably been told before but choose to ignore it.

Thai basically do not want you to know what they are talking about, pure and simple.

Yes, I know different ones will tell you how Thai are impressed with how well you know the language, but it's all bulldust.

You stumble along poking a word in here and there, usually wrong alltogether.

The sooner you realise it, the better off you will be.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Hi

Yes I know F/B has a reactive translation converting to English and yes I know can use Google to type English and send to a facebook site but how can one trnslate Thai to English the reverse way but do not think it is that easy?
Thanks all and yeah it might seem a strange question but thanks all

If it is Thai language in "Word" just use google translate on your computer

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Here's an eye opener for you, probably been told before but choose to ignore it.

Thai basically do not want you to know what they are talking about, pure and simple.

Yes, I know different ones will tell you how Thai are impressed with how well you know the language, but it's all bulldust.

Well do try and yes people appreciate it too ok

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

If i understand you correctly, you can right click on the Thai item, copy and paste in Google's translate after selecting translate Thai to English, hope it helped.

Google Translate.

Type, speak, or camera/picture.

Instantly and both directions. 

11 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Well do try and yes people appreciate it too ok

Yeah, whatever you say  but do like to try and yes often wondered and selective hearing but I find that the Thais are fine and appreciate it if you try and  yes sometimes have different meanings.
Also if wrong they do have a laugh about it.

Edited by jwest10

13 hours ago, bluejets said:

Yeah, Well there are different meanings for sure and also selective hearing but they like me to try or a few of them do and yes aso selective hearing on the English but the very few I use Thiai to relly appreciate the effort ok

I am sure that interpreters will lose their jobs from Al technology as well as attorneys , nottaries and accountants. In EU Parliaments many translators lost their jobs because the MPs copy/paste the texts and write them themselves.

Source:Lost in translation: £17m of taxpayers' money for EU interpreters who are not needed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/aug/31/eu.politics

Nowadays we have a common "language" corona .......and teleworking from house. 

Source:European Parliament Interpreters Call Off Strike

https://www.atanet.org/industry-news/european-parliament-interpreters-call-off-strike/