Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What does message below mean. I don't understand, is it indicating have to have some form or pre-registration or member code???, thanks.

scorecard

As others pointed out, might be a phishing attempt, so be careful.

Since you are asking this question, you are probably not too tech savy, so maybe let a friend who has a bit more knowledge assist you in what you are doing, he might be able to identify if it's a phishing attempt.

How the hell is anyone supposed to answer this question when you give absolutely zero details?

WHERE did you see this message?

"pre-registration or member code"

FOR WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Jesus <deleted> Christ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

is this a cryptic question? maybe give more details, what are you trying to sign in to, background?

Background:  I've been looking for free short stories in English to help my young Thai granddaughter with her English reading skills.

I found a large comprehensive site, developed / maintained / operated by the Philippines education ministry. Massive amounts of materials for all subjects, admin. stuff and more. All showing as free.

But when I selected something and clicked download I got the message about gmail login.

However just 5 minutes ago I tried again and althought the same 'g.mail' message is on the screen the downloading is now workng just fine.

Sorry to bother you. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Background:  I've been looking for free short stories in English to help my young Thai granddaughter with her English reading skills.

I found a large comprehensive site, developed / maintained / operated by the Philippines education ministry. Massive amounts of materials for all subjects, admin. stuff and more. All showing as free.

But when I selected something and clicked download I got the message about gmail login.

However just 5 minutes ago I tried again and althought the same 'g.mail' message is on the screen the downloading is now workng just fine.

Sorry to bother you. 

You don't want to be logging into gmail by inputting your password on some webpage you aren't familiar with. When i login via google\gmail no need for password, it knows it already. An example is Strava.com

On 7/12/2023 at 4:29 PM, scorecard said:

Sorry to bother you. 

Why not post the link to the site in the first place, albeit with a warning?

On 7/12/2023 at 4:29 PM, scorecard said:

Sorry to bother you. 

Take a look at the Russian Facebook equivalent .. https://vk.com - It's just a social media platform, so I presume safe to post.

Within the site there are of groups for ESL / English learners where material is shared - the IP laws in Russia are pretty slack, so stuff is generally uploaded without fear of prosecution or take-downs. You can search with keywords like "books" or "English books" "ESL" etc and find the right groups. 

Also, don't use your google credentials to log in to unfamiliar sites, unless you are really sure - I heard of a couple of phishing tools (ahem) that use fake google login - take a look at evil twin attacks like this https://github.com/kleo/evilportals (this is for a free wifi login) but there are similar for web site logins.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1