Special restaurant in Had Yai?

my friend I

I've edited this 

From channelnewsasia.com

Couple driving from London to Singapore in 12-car convoy: These are 'stories I can tell my grandchildren'

This August, Jeremy See and his wife Sharleen’s Singapore-registered car will begin a 100-day trip across 23 countries with a S$110,000 budget.

In August, they will embark on a journey to London, where their Singapore-registered 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.6L V8 was transported a month prior. Over the course of 100 days, they are prepared to cover 25,000km, passing through 23 countries as they make their way back to Singapore.

See shared three key considerations to ponder, aside from the obvious financial aspect, before embarking on such an adventure.

Firstly, one’s love for driving must border on obsession. He shared how he would embark on a nine-hour journey to Hat Yai solely for a meal, without spending a night.

Anyone suggest where this might be. I'm guessing not the railway restaurant.

Plenty of good food in Hat Yai. I suspect his meal would have been in one of the many unassuming Thai-Chinese restaurants which are popular with Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese.

And yes, Hat Yai fried chicken is indeed glorious, the most authentic is to be had from the evening food stalls near the mosque in Hat Yai Nai on Phetkasem Road between Sois 29 and 33. 

You'll also find the best roti here too, shop on corner of Soi 33.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, stoner said:

ok. 

actually to quote Aretha Franklin it's the "Best damn chicken" (in Thailand) I lived in HatYai for several years and that Muslim fried chicken is damn good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grain said:

actually to quote Aretha Franklin it's the "Best damn chicken" (in Thailand) I lived in HatYai for several years and that Muslim fried chicken is damn good.

Fried chicken is fried chicken.

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Plenty of good food in Hat Yai. I suspect his meal would have been in one of the many unassuming Thai-Chinese restaurants which are popular with Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese.

And yes, Hat Yai fried chicken is indeed glorious, the most authentic is to be had from the evening food stalls near the mosque in Hat Yai Nai on Phetkasem Road between Sois 29 and 33. 

You'll also find the best roti here too, shop on corner of Soi 33.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out when I head south to Hala Bala. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:08 AM, Stocky said:

Agreed, I think the best lunchtime chicken is in HY Nai, late afternoon - Tiger Temple Market. In the evening I was surprised how busy that stall under the railway flyover / not far from the stadium.  

On 7/15/2023 at 11:12 AM, bignok said:

Fried chicken is fried chicken.

Having spent over a decade in HY now living in Issan, not all fried chicken is equal. If you live in HY, you have your favorite places, you know which places are open at different times of day, some places are just too popular and the competition to grab the chicken as it comes from the wok is brutal.

The chickens in the south have just about the right fat content, there are a couple of stalls up here proclaiming to be "Hat Yai Chicken" they cannot replicate the texture of the chicken or get the garlic / pepper ratio right or the coating. There are a couple of places in BKK that manage it. Just as "Gai Yang Khao Suan Kwan" cannot be replicated in the south, the free range chicken comes from a number of farms in the area, its has little fat content, the skin turns super crispy, chicken isn't just chicken. So, No. its not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was stranded in Hat Yai a few days ago while my car was getting fixed and, just walking around,  I tried to find the old roti place I used to go to near the roundabout on Petchkasem Road. It was gone. Any ideas on where to get the best roti in HY these days?

You guys are killing me ... best best best, but no specific named restaurant.

Headed that way next month ...

... specifics

Wife gets HY chicken locally, it's OK and definitely a step up from non garlic spiced offerings.  Had a good vendor of at Udon Thani Preecha Market area.

I'm a beef massaman fan, and hard to find. MaeYa Rest @ UT had a nice version.

Very good one recently at Ayutthaya / Aminah Halal Rest, and everything they served was excellent.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:21 AM, phuketsub said:

I was stranded in Hat Yai a few days ago while my car was getting fixed and, just walking around,  I tried to find the old roti place I used to go to near the roundabout on Petchkasem Road. It was gone. Any ideas on where to get the best roti in HY these days?

I have no idea the name of the restaurant but it's on the corner of Phetkasem Soi 33 and Phetkasem Road in Hat Yai Nai (7.000768, 100.45356). It has always had the best roti canai in town.