Repairs to laminate flooring

scorecard

Top floor of house has laminate flooring, installed when houes built 10 years ago.

House in a good quality gated moo baan. Builder & developer good reputation for quality materials/quality construction/good attention to detail etc.

House came with 1 year warranty (now well past the warranty period).

As in the photos there's just one spot where the 'plastic/laminate' around the curve of the step has started to peel. Total 24 steps, no peeling or disintergration on any other step. No obviousreason/factor why th peeling should be on the top step or any step.

Took photos to Global, Thai Watsadu, Global, Home Pro asked if they have any suggestions or if they could share name of repairs person. Total blank response.

Hoping a member can share some advice or share the name of an experienced 'technician' to do repairs.

Thanks.

1202101902_stairspeeling1.thumb.jpg.0a7803eee3668c92a72a1293fb36b4e6.jpg

stairs peeling 2 .jpg

stairs peeling 3.jpg

That's going to be a nightmare methinks ???? 

I'd run some cyanoacrylate (superglue) into the delaminating area, that should stop it getting any worse, but an actual repair is another matter ???? 

Time to get out the Blue-Peter sticky-back plastic??

Just now, McTavish said:

Ideally the stairs, as heavy traffic and scuffing areas, should have been solid (real) wood.  Replace or put up with band-aid repairs.

Previously checked this before we agreed to laminate:

- The actual step is hardwood including the front of the step then all covered by laminate. 

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That's going to be a nightmare methinks ???? 

I'd run some cyanoacrylate (superglue) into the delaminating area, that should stop it getting any worse, but an actual repair is another matter ???? 

Time to get out the Blue-Peter sticky-back plastic??

Glue then paint.  Fingernail paint?  Assuming it is only on the vertical surfaces as it appears to be.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

25 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Glue then paint.  Fingernail paint?  Assuming it is only on the vertical surfaces as it appears to be.

Good idea Nail paint works on chipped tiles should work on this, after the glue fix maybe.

• Like 1

There are two part repair kits for laminate flooring. Or you need to find a wood flooring company. They should be able to replace like for like, or maybe they have beech wood step edges they could use instead. As that looks like beech laminate in the photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Any chance that the builder has kept records of the company that provided/fitted the laminate?

Developer is checking with the builder on this point right now.

Developer came to look and was a bit horrified. He took sveral photos and says he's sent them to the builder, waiting for a response.

He's  concerned is that the same might develop in many houses in the same village and in other villages they have developed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CharlieKo said:

There are two part repair kits for laminate flooring. Or you need to find a wood flooring company. They should be able to replace like for like, or maybe they have beech wood step edges they could use instead. As that looks like beech laminate in the photos. 

Interesting, thanks. Any hints where I could buy the kit or the name of the repair kit, much appreciated.

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Developer came to look and was a bit horrified. He took sveral photos and says he's sent them to the builder, waiting for a response.

He's  concerned is that the same might develop in many houses in the same village and in other villages they have developed. 

Sounds encouraging. Not many developers still interested in completed projects after 10 years. Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Sounds encouraging. Not many developers still interested in completed projects after 10 years. Good luck.

True of course.

History (some of this from gossip) old company in CM went into hibernation about 20 years ago because founder too old to continue.

About 10-12 years back his 2 sons returned to LOS after studying civil eng. and marketing abroad.

Father gave the dormant company to the sons who did some research and discovered there was a good market for good quality moo bahn villages, and overall CM folks are not poor plus a sizeable influx of well healed BKK folks wanting to buy good quality/good size land & house for the future. 

Ours was the first village in the reopened dev. coy., and they have establshesd a very good name, now on about the 10th village. 

Edited by scorecard

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

He should be worried as laminated wood on a stair edge is not a great idea although may look good at original installation. The stair edge gets the most pressure and contact during use. They will continue to wear and chip over time.

If it were me I would look at removing and replacing that detail with a solid wood stair edge cap. Not sure exactly the construction of the tread and laminate edge so you may have to replace the whole stair tread to deal with an edge cap replacement if you go that route

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Interesting, thanks. Any hints where I could buy the kit or the name of the repair kit, much appreciated.

You could try Homepro or similar. Any wood flooring company may sell it, you could try Lazada. Being a step it wants to be a two part mix because of the wear. As mentioned in another post, maybe a tile repair kit might do it if you can match the colour. For this repair I doubt that wax repair kits for wood flooring will work..

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Hoping a member can share some advice

"Normally / Usually"......all laminate floors used on stairs has a Laminate Stair Nose Molding

Meaning that which your wanting to repair is actually a separate piece & can just be changed out by a competent carpenter/flooring installer

Which may also be why yours  is a different color/pattern from the actual laminate

Try to check closely if it is...... If so then

The material you want looks like this & is available in different shades & usually available in 78" / 198 CM lengths to be cut as needed

nose.jpg

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mania said:

"Normally / Usually"......all laminate floors used on stairs has a Laminate Stair Nose Molding

Meaning that which your wanting to repair is actually a separate piece & can just be changed out by a competent carpenter/flooring installer

Which may also be why yours  is a different color/pattern from the actual laminate

Try to check closely if it is...... If so then

The material you want looks like this & is available in different shades & usually available in 78" / 198 CM lengths to be cut as needed

nose.jpg

Wow thanks, this is very valuable information. The step edge does look exactly like the picture. Much appreciated.

Do you have any suggestion where I could buy the item in the photo, anywhere in Thailand, personal shopping or online?

Or do you have a specific industry 'name' for the item, so that I could search online?

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks again. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Do you have any suggestion where I could buy the item in the photo, anywhere in Thailand, personal shopping or online?

Or do you have a specific industry 'name' for the item, so that I could search online?

Hi your welcome

As to the specific name it is "Laminate Stair Nose Molding"

I am sorry I am not in Thailand at the moment but if I was I would probably try thaiwatsadu.com & maybe Home Pro or Global House?

But I think your best bet will be to find a flooring specific shop. If they sell laminate they will of course also sell the stair nose moldings & of course have a installer person

Maybe even try https://www.siamflooring.com/laminate?lang=en

Then tell them your in Chiang Mai & they likely have an agent installer

Good Luck!

Edited by mania

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

Hoping a member can share some advice or share the name of an experienced 'technician' to do repairs.

Easy repair, just find a desirable color of the edge piece. I installed my house laminates by myself and got all pieces I needed from HomePro. All in stuck. 

IMG_4096.jpeg

Edited by The Theory