Applying for a Single Entry Tourist evisa

Hi, I'm Brit applying for a Single Entry Tourist Evisa.

The online form is asking for "Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID Card, Passport" Trouble is no one is inviting me, I have a hotel booking which I have submitted elsewhere on the form. If I leave it blank it won't let me progress to the next page. Any ideas?

Also, It just asks for "Travel booking confirmation" I have submitted proof of a flight into Thailand do I need to show a flight out?

Thanks for any help

28 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

If I leave it blank it won't let me progress to the next page. Any ideas?

The E-visa platform was put together to cover a variety of visas and some questions are not always applicable, but you may have wanted the visa to visit family. Unfortunately it is a feature of the process that you must answer every question.

I would suggest you write on a piece of paper something to the effect that you are only visiting as a tourist, take a photo and upload that.

Those in possession of a visa shouldn't need an onward ticket, only those on visa exempt. If there does happen to be any query over the ticket you can say you plan to travel overland to a neighbouring country.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The E-visa platform was put together to cover a variety of visas and some questions are not always applicable, but you may have wanted the visa to visit family. Unfortunately it is a feature of the process that you must answer every question.

I would suggest you write on a piece of paper something to the effect that you are only visiting as a tourist, take a photo and upload that.

Those in possession of a visa shouldn't need an onward ticket, only those on visa exempt. If there does happen to be any query over the ticket you can say you plan to travel overland to a neighbouring country.

Thanks for the answers. I know I won't be asked to show onward flight to the airline if I have a visa but are you saying they will issue me a visa without proof of onward flight?

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

12 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thanks for the answers. I know I won't be asked to show onward flight to the airline if I have a visa but are you saying they will issue me a visa without proof of onward flight?

They should do, onward travel was never required before. Unfortunately nothing can ever be said with certainty and I have only done Non O with one way ticket. Maybe someone who has done it will help you out.

• Like 1

With the e-visa system, you do need to get the application right. They will not normally allow you to modify an application later: they will just reject it and take the money for the application. The onward flight requirement is a tricky one. These days, it is generally a real requirement where, in the past, it was not. You could try creating an itinerary that shows a plan to leave Thailand by land within 60 days, and upload that in place of a flight reservation. That might well be accepted: it depends on the official.

I regularly apply for evisa from the UK. I have a 1 page doc  which says " Not required for Tourist Visa " and upload this to the sections which I don't have/shouldn't need the requested documentation. On two occasions the embassy had a query regarding my accommodation in Thailand but emailed me requesting I provide another document (responding to the email they sent). The visa  was then issued within 12 hours.  In both instances my application was processed rather than denied.

YouTube Robert Sultan applying for a Thailand Tourist E Visa After 2022. Brilliant video leads you through the application by the hand. American guy Brilliant video. Hope this helps it did for me. For the invitations to Thailand just upload your accommodation booking again no problem.

Edited by Toby1947
  • Like 1

Just a QuickieQ.

Friend says last few flights this year visa on arrival and return ticket not needed.  Has the rule been changed or has he just been lucky or they are being soft for the moment? 

Edited by TimeMachine

Just now, TimeMachine said:

Just a QuickieQ.

Friend says last few flights this year visa on arrival and return ticket not needed.  Has the rule been changed or has he just been lucky or they are being soft for the moment? 

It depends on the airline whether they will check someone in without an onward flight ticket when flying without a visa to enter visa exempt. He has been lucky. It would be interesting to know which airline he was using.

5 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Unfortunately you may very well be required to show onward flight on a tourist visa when you check in at the airport with your online. 

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It depends on the airline whether they will check someone in without an onward flight ticket when flying without a visa to enter visa exempt. He has been lucky. It would be interesting to know which airline he was using.

I think thai. 

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

They will not normally allow you to modify an application later: they will just reject it and take the money for the application.

That is not true, there have been many reports of the embassy asking for further information or clarification, including myself and as indicated in the post that followed yours.

I am doing the evisa right now and after 10 days still haven't got it approved. Sent all needed documents but the next day got an email to resend the "roundtrip ticket FROM Italy". I am Italian and live next to the Austrian border so in my last 13 years I always flew from Innsbruck or Munich which are both nearby airports. Seems it is a problem now...

Anyway they clearly asked for the roundtrip ticket.

21 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

The online form is asking for "Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID Card, Passport" Trouble is no one is inviting me, I have a hotel booking which I have submitted elsewhere on the form. If I leave it blank it won't let me progress to the next page. Any ideas?

Also, It just asks for "Travel booking confirmation" I have submitted proof of a flight into Thailand do I need to show a flight out?

Thanks for any help

I used to do this in the US, it varies somewhat country to country. As I recall you can put the name of your contact at your hotel and the hotel phone number for person inviting you. I think I used to use a lady friend and her phone number, even if I didn't know her number, I think I used the phone number for my apartment. A lot of times you have to guess at what to put in. You can even make stuff up sometimes. There is no real reason why you won't get it, but if there is any issue they should contact you and inform you what is needed. Thailand is uniquely straddling extremely modern culture as well as extremely backward artifacts. Something to be mindful of ahead of time. As an example, when I file my 90 day report online fully half of the form's lines are left blank, and it goes through like that. In another case, when I had to enter the type of retirement visa, which was non-O, I had to enter OA for the form to progress. Good luck and have fun, cheers.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:41 AM, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thanks for any help

I was just reading about it for myself, you just need a hotel booked for the first 8 days. Then the rest of the documents they ask.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, sandyf said:

That is not true, there have been many reports of the embassy asking for further information or clarification, including myself and as indicated in the post that followed yours.

exactly right based on my experience

• Thanks 1

How much is a Tourist visa these days?  I was contemplating getting a Tourist visa through the e-visa system instead of a visa exempt that is good for 30 days upon arrival and then going to immigration and having it extended.  The cost is 1900 baht to have it extended plus wasting half a day to go to immigration plus transportation costs.   

3 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

How much is a Tourist visa these days?  I was contemplating getting a Tourist visa through the e-visa system instead of a visa exempt that is good for 30 days upon arrival and then going to immigration and having it extended.  The cost is 1900 baht to have it extended plus wasting half a day to go to immigration plus transportation costs.   

The cost depends on where you are applying. The basic reference price of a tourist visa is 1,000 baht. However, you will be charged in your local currency at a conversion rate that varies from bad to absolutely extortionate.

• Like 1