Cost of living in Chiang Mai ? Realistic ?

Social Media

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Doest work on my phone.

Video silent in thread.

Click watch now and I get taken to a different video.

Try this

Link

default is sound off but speaker in lower right needs to be clicked

Edited by mania

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I do it on less than 500 bt a day.......all costs inclusive...

I bike the city....get 2 chicken snacks from chicken lady  20 bt  and a tea  30

my room comes to 150 bt a day with the AC running a bit high in this heat = 4000-4500 month

fruit and tom yum soup on my way home 20 + 50   maybe big order of avocados peeled  40

and usually still have left over cash from my 500 bt daily budget to gauge my spending

fill up the motorbike once a week for 80    do my laundry once a week also 80...

biggest $$$ being my visa renewals which will be #2 this week, so there goes 2000....blah

If i want to go drink or whatever i can do so as im under budget but happy with my routine

I dont pay to play as my hand works just fine..i also have my other hand aka my Gik...

come home shower eat and watch news-movies that i chrome cast to tv...read my books

simple living--stay active and fit and eating local and healthy......sure beats the states...

*let the flaming begin*

Sounds lonely, but if it suits......

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/23/2023 at 3:52 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

kinda used to it....all my buddies are married and with kids .........still put myself out there to meet a nice thai lady but seem more interested in my wallet....and the 5 bt in it....tourists come and go...i usually stay at beach off season when i go home to work so  is just as isolated just stick to my routines... nomadic life of the lone wolf......a hansum wolf hopefully for the massage grannies

What about the dog?

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

and how much does that cost a day? I have not been back in decades...?? 

i got an efficiency apt for 600/ month during winter season which i prefer anyways...

has a murphy bed....cooking area etc......works fine for me...spend half on that and save the other half to come back to LOS.....but that place would be crazy $$$ during summer....not my scene

On 7/22/2023 at 4:32 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I do it on less than 500 bt a day.......all costs inclusive...

I bike the city....get 2 chicken snacks from chicken lady  20 bt  and a tea  30

my room comes to 150 bt a day with the AC running a bit high in this heat = 4000-4500 month

fruit and tom yum soup on my way home 20 + 50   maybe big order of avocados peeled  40

and usually still have left over cash from my 500 bt daily budget to gauge my spending

fill up the motorbike once a week for 80    do my laundry once a week also 80...

biggest $$$ being my visa renewals which will be #2 this week, so there goes 2000....blah

If i want to go drink or whatever i can do so as im under budget but happy with my routine

I dont pay to play as my hand works just fine..i also have my other hand aka my Gik...

come home shower eat and watch news-movies that i chrome cast to tv...read my books

simple living--stay active and fit and eating local and healthy......sure beats the states...

*let the flaming begin*

Each person's experience of what constitutes basic essentials and "living" is different, ya can't judge another for that, only yourself.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:57 AM, novacova said:

I haven’t seen any beaches in cm, I think the closest beach is at the Naya Cafe in Phayao ????

Ob Khan beach is rather nice, soft white sand and a river running through it.

Another one at Mae Wang .........

IMG_20200126_141925.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Ob Khan beach is rather nice, soft white sand and a river running through it.

Another one at Mae Wang .........

IMG_20200126_141925.jpg

Okay I stand corrected as to the closest, I was thinking surfboard beach 

Edited by novacova

30 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

so whats your list of basic needs?   needs..not wants....

I want wants and do not need needs!

If people want to live as cheaply as possible that is their prerogative, assuming they have the choice. 

I have the choice and intend to live my life enjoyably for as long as I can without counting every Satang!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Each person's experience of what constitutes basic essentials and "living" is different, ya can't judge another for that, only yourself.

Double sandwich 7/11 plus chocolate bar and 2 yoghurts. So 110 baht times 2 is 220 baht.

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I want wants and do not need needs!

If people want to live as cheaply as possible that is their prerogative, assuming they have the choice. 

I have the choice and intend to live my life enjoyably for as long as I can without counting every Satang!

enjoy...i dont have that option......

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 1:28 PM, DrPhibes said:

Exactly. I never understand people who boast about how poorly they live in Thailand. In the same way, I don't understand people who come on here and boast about how much they spend every month either. I remember some German guy on here who was always boasting about his ridiculously high (IMO) electricity bills every month as if that somehow made him better than everyone else.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Confused 1

Well I agree that it totally depends on your lifestyle, certainly a single man without commitments to a woman can do pretty well on $2,000 a month. You're not living a life of luxury but you're living a pretty good life. For some of us who like modest luxury, like travel and like other perks, $3,000 is going to be more like it. I do have a friend who lives on a little over $2,000 a month, he's constantly watching his budget and he has no women in his life to speak of. But he lives in an inexpensive place on Samui, which is more expensive than Chiang Rai. 

• Like 1