Retiring to Cambodia

Encore

Hi all,

Intend retiring to Cambodia and planning to live at Siem Reap (probably for the first year).  

Have an E visa for a 30 day visit and am planning to arrive in September, staying in a hotel for 10-14 days, during which time I and my girlfriend would like to extend for a long stay multiple entry visa and look for a fully furnished 2 bedroom house, condo or apartment as a long stay rental to rent for 6-12 months.  

Preference is for a place in close proximity (preferably walking distance) to fresh markets and grocery shops, not too far for travel to the Pub Street area for bars and restaurants..

Would very much appreciate any advice or guidance from old hands on areas to consider and the best way of getting a value for money long stay rental.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Encore

Getting value for money for long stay rentals would involve going around looking for a place you like then spending time seeing what goes on in the area day and night.

Someone I know found the perfect place only to find out the nearby army base blows the bugle three times at 5a.m.., 7,11,2 ,5 and 9.

There are some good value places that include everything, electric, water.

I would say it's a buyer's market now. Very few foreigners here.

• Like 2

Long stay multiple visa is easy if you are over 55.

Takes a lot to get a retirement visa if under 55. Best to get an experienced agent.

Work permits are fairly easy. I know someone who is supposedly a bar maid.

She seems to be absent almost everyday. She's 31. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  I am aged over 55 and Thai GF is in her 40's.  If she does not qualify for a ER (Retirement) EOS visa then the option for a long stay visa appears to be EB (Business) EOS visa though no current intention to work.  She has just resigned/retired from a branded fashion house and would not be averse to working in that sector but there is no need for her to work and I think suitable employment might be difficult as she does not speak Khymer though speaks English to a good standard. 

Edited by Encore
  • Like 1

Not so much about the need to work as an easy way to get a visa.

Someone who can speak English would be in demand in many places in Cambodia.

Many Thai words are the same or similar to Khmer words.

I spend all my time with Khmer and picked up the language easily.

Cambodia is a fairly small country and easy to get around. Worth having a look at different places. Battambong excellent food. Kampot very good hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, my friend I said:

Not so much about the need to work as an easy way to get a visa.

Someone who can speak English would be in demand in many places in Cambodia.

Many Thai words are the same or similar to Khmer words.

I spend all my time with Khmer and picked up the language easily.

Cambodia is a fairly small country and easy to get around. Worth having a look at different places. Battambong excellent food. Kampot very good hospital.

Thank you for the informative and positive comments

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can't extend a Tourist VISA ($36), after 30 days you MUST leave the country.

Is that New?

AFAIK it can be extended once for 30 days. 

On 4/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, my friend I said:

You may get a better response in the Esarn forum.

blockquote widget

Edited by my friend I

tourist visa ($30 on arrival) can be extended once for 30 days ($40-45)
an E visa ( $35 on arrival ) or called an ordinary visa  can be extended for 1, 3, 6, 12 months depending on what category you choose
you or your gf could get a EG extension for 3 months ( looking for work) No additional paperwork needed for any age

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, BritManToo said:

You can't extend a Tourist VISA ($36), after 30 days you MUST leave the country.

You can extend an ordinary VISA ($42), 1 year extension for around $300.

So it would depend on which E-VISA you purchased.

Lots of people make the mistake of buying the Tourist VISA.

I always stayed in the Garden Village Guesthouse and Pool Bar.

$15/night (475bht) for a double room beside the swimming pool, 200m from Pub Street.

Then take your time to view longer term places to stay.

P_20190121_095745 (1).jpg

Visa is E class e-visa rather a tourist visa.  Thank you for the accommodation recommendation.  

2 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

tourist visa ($30 on arrival) can be extended once for 30 days ($40-45)
an E visa ( $35 on arrival ) or called an ordinary visa  can be extended for 1, 3, 6, 12 months depending on what category you choose
you or your gf could get a EG extension for 3 months ( looking for work) No additional paperwork needed for any age

I think ER for me and, if not possible for GF, EB for her although she will probably not work.