German Tourist Dies After Scuba Diving in Phang Nga

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – A 59-year-old German man has been pronounced dead after going scuba diving in Phang Nga. His body was taken back to a hospital in Phuket.

The Phuket Tourist Police told the Phuket Express that they were notified of the sad incident on Friday afternoon (July 28th). A 59-year-old male German tourist was found unconscious after he went for a scuba dive near the Flower Island (Koh Dok Mai) in the Yao Island district in Phang Nga.

He went scuba diving with a tour company, whose name was withheld pending a further investigation by Thai police. His friends reportedly told investigating police that the man went down to 20 meters deep in the sea before coming up onto the boat and taking a rest, seemingly exhausted but not ill.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/07/29/german-tourist-dies-after-scuba-diving-in-phang-nga/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-07-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

20 meters for an inexperienced diver is quite deep especially if the diver comes up too fast... my guess is a delayed "bends"

20 metres is quite acceptable for a scuba diver, as long as you follow all the protocols depending on the duration of the dive.

And of course you are personally in good health.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

20 metres is quite acceptable for a scuba diver, as long as you follow all the protocols depending on the duration of the dive.

20 meters is pushing the limit for "inexperienced" scuba divers... read my whole post

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Only advanced divers go to 20 meters dept.

I did my PADI course in that very area over 30 years ago. I did mine with a reputable dive school and the matter of personal health vs dangers vs depth was discussed. It's up to a responsible diver to inform the Dive Master of any health issues and act accordingly.

Diving is an "extreme sport" and becomes more extreme the deeper you go and the more complex the dive.

If i wanted to dive now, having a heart condition, i would consult an appropriate doctor before diving - I rather feel the advice would be "Don't"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Foek said:

Only advanced divers go to 20 meters dept.

The limit for open water certificate holders is 18 meters. 20 is not that much deeper. So the depth wasn’t the problem. He either came up too fast or it was something else. 

It is interesting that so many posters are questioning the depth of 20 meters as being a deep dive. I have an advanced open water certification and have been scuba diving for over fifty years. I have gone on so many dives with beginners where our first dive was 20+ meters and the second dive about 10 meters. I have not seen many beginning divers having problems with that depth. Most of the problems that I have seen develop at about 32+ meters where the pressure causes a narcotic effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Screaming said:

It is interesting that so many posters are questioning the depth of 20 meters as being a deep dive. I have an advanced open water certification and have been scuba diving for over fifty years. I have gone on so many dives with beginners where our first dive was 20+ meters and the second dive about 10 meters. I have not seen many beginning divers having problems with that depth. Most of the problems that I have seen develop at about 32+ meters where the pressure causes a narcotic effect.

59yo might have issues