Koh Tao sees record-breaking one-day tourist influx

snoop1130

valeriy-ryasnyanskiy-CDWrgx7Zq38-unsplash.jpg

The island of Koh Tao has seen a record-breaking number of tourists reported to have landed on July 28. The Surat Thani Provincial Governor, Wichuwat Jinto, shared the good news earlier today.

Koh Tao, the smallest of the three main southern gulf islands, welcomed a staggering 3,106 visitors, all of whom arrived via boat on the same day. This influx marked the beginning of a government-mandated six-day holiday, concluding on August 2. This turnout was unprecedented in the island’s history, according to the provincial governor.

Interestingly, foreign tourists made up about 90% of the arrivals, many of whom were likely on their way to Koh Phangan to attend the Full Moon Party. This popular event is scheduled to take place on Haad Rin Beach on August 3, delayed one day for the double Buddha Days where alcohol is forbidden from being served, reported Bangkok Post.

Concurrently, there was a surge in arrivals on Koh Samui, the largest of the three islands. Approximately 141,454 tourists were reported to have used the island’s airport in July.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Picture courtesy of Valeriy Ryasnyanskiy, Unsplash

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/south/record-breaking-tourist-influx-on-koh-tao-kickstarts-thai-holiday-season

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Interestingly, foreign tourists made up about 90% of the arrivals, many of whom were likely on their way to Koh Phangan to attend the Full Moon Party. This popular event is scheduled to take place on Haad Rin Beach on August 3, delayed one day for the double Buddha Days where alcohol is forbidden from being served

Lots of sickies being phoned in then?

On 8/2/2023 at 2:48 PM, proton said:

Backpacker idiots and other assorted clueless types

I don't know about idiots, but I was a clueless backpacker myself in the 90's, and I enjoyed it a lot. Mainly for the sea. Come 2001-2, already too crowded for me. Last visit was in 2003, I told myself never again. I wonder how it is now, probaby unrecognizable to me.

• Like 1