Gprs Internet

Hi,

I have purchased a GPRS USB modem for internet when im up country, however I have to use it on Parralels on my mac. when i try running it i get an error message saying the USB port has been blocked by another application.

Has anyone got any advise on this or any other solutions for using GPRS up country?

Cheers

Why do you need to use parallels? Why did you need to buy a modem? Your usb port has probably not been released by OS X to Windows, hence the warning.

I use my phone when in the village and it connects with ease to my mac. check to see if your phone can be used this way.

If you have any problems connecting your phone direct though your mac then pm or mail me and maybe i can help. You could also search through mac.majorgeeks.com for software to do this but it's not actually necessary.

Remember when you use parallels to connect to the web you are using windows also. That means you are open to all the viruses that using a mac protects you from.

Good luck.

Nidge.

Does parallels offer similar configuration options to VMware, to create a virtual network between the guest(s) and host OS?

I've usually given the real Internet connection to my host OS (Linux, in my case) and then set up a virtual network with NAT for the VMware guests when I wanted them to get out.

Which version of Parallels? The host networking didn't work too well in the first few versions. The USB drivers have also gotten better around 2.0.

Why aren't you doing the network connection through OS X and share the connection to Windows? It's really easy to set up DUN on the Mac.

Thanks guys for all the replys.

I have had to use Parrallels version build 1940 2006 as the gprs modem i have only works with Windows. I asked around but could not find a usb gprs modem that supported Mac... is there one out there?

Im out at work for the next couple of weeks and will have another bash at it when i get back to Pattaya before heading up country.

Regards

Dean

• 2 weeks later...
I have had to use Parrallels version build 1940 2006 as the gprs modem i have only works with Windows. I asked around but could not find a usb gprs modem that supported Mac... is there one out there?

I use my phone via Bluetooth for GPRS/EDGE. Works fine. Nokia N73. The Nokia 6600 also worked fine before.

Most phones can do GPRS and many are supported by Mac OS. I haven't tried connecting the phones via USB though... don't like cables...