Upgrading a pathway to a road

Hello!

My wife recently inherited a few rai farmland and we plan to set up a little second home there. Pretty much off-grid; the property is located about 500m away from the next road and is connected only with a small trail. Allegedly, cars could use this path as well, but I would not dare… especially during raining season... I like to upgrade this to a road (approximately 3m wide), so we have reliable access.

Hope to find a reasonably priced solution. Doesn’t have to be a beauty just a bit broader and more solid than now

I guess large concrete panels would be the way to go?

Any thoughts, experiences or advice?

Cheers

M

path.jpeg

My family had a cabin in the woods of Maine when I was growing up.  Access was by a 1/4 mile dirt path like yours. Spring thaw always made it a nearly impassable mud hole.  My dad and granddad dumped countless loads of crushed shells,  gravel, planks, everything they could think of but all eventually got swallowed by the mud.  

He finally found a fellow with a proper grader and access to sand and gravel.  The man dug a roadbed almost 2' deep, installed drainage pipe, then laid a base of rock, then gravel and sand on top, all properly graded  We finally had useable access but I remember it cost a bundle, even using a local guy who dug his own material. 

Mud swallows everything.  Unless OP can afford to construct a well drained roadbed, the mud will eventually win.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

If it's reasonably firm then geotextile followed by laterite or gravel would probably be the cheapest way and would retain the rural grass-up-the-middle feeling. Light traffic only of course.

The geotextile stops the gravel vanishing into the mire.

Top up the gravel as required.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Who owns it?

Cut the grass back. You may find it is wider than you think.

father in law owns this stretch - it is also the access to his farm land. Probably would be a good idea to purchase it from him before we spend money upgrading the road.

The picture shows one of the better spots. Generally its on slightly elevated ground so it is not too muddy. but some parts are just on the edge of the neighboring paddy field and would need to be stabilized.

We share road with the neighbour, and they cant afford to upgrade, so we use a ATV to during rain season. 

How much you willing to spend, and how much you going to use it in Rainseason? 

How many share the access to their farmlands? 

After we built several others following after, and now it is only 300m which is not paved, and thats the part of only us and the neighbors. Talking to the village chief if more use the road could be part of your solution. 

Edited by Hummin

On 8/7/2023 at 2:58 PM, mangkut70 said:

Hello!

My wife recently inherited a few rai farmland and we plan to set up a little second home there. Pretty much off-grid; the property is located about 500m away from the next road and is connected only with a small trail. Allegedly, cars could use this path as well, but I would not dare… especially during raining season... I like to upgrade this to a road (approximately 3m wide), so we have reliable access.

Hope to find a reasonably priced solution. Doesn’t have to be a beauty just a bit broader and more solid than now

I guess large concrete panels would be the way to go?

Any thoughts, experiences or advice?

Cheers

M

path.jpeg

Well, you'll need about 50 trucks of  stones/gravel at about   3500 a truck plus one day, possibly two, for a grader. Just done 60 meters of that with a wheelbarrow, shovel, pickaxe and rake. 

Edited by Ben Zioner