SD Card.

NoshowJones

Please pardon my ignorance here. I have bought a new Samsung phone recently and just noticed it did not have an SD card. That sounds familiar to me.

Do I need an SD Card? If so how do I get one? What does it do?

It extends your memory - so if you don't have a lot of video/photos and phone has good amount of storage probably not needed.  Only you can decide that - but they do not cost that much so most people will opt to have in any case.  Then you have to set up phone to actually use it.

If your unfamiliar with an SD card then it's highly likely you don't need it. 

As Lopburi3 mentioned,  it's a memory card that stores hundreds of photos, some videos and any other data you might store, but I suspect your phone has sufficient memory storage for what you need or will ever use.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

It extends your memory - so if you don't have a lot of video/photos and phone has good amount of storage probably not needed.  Only you can decide that - but they do not cost that much so most people will opt to have in any case.  Then you have to set up phone to actually use it.

No I won't need it then, I have loads of storage. Thanks.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP can provide details of the model of Samsung he just bought, a quick Google will reveal if, like many new phones, the SD card requirement is redundant.

Their is a space for one which is empty, my phone has over 100 odd giga's.

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Go into settings > phone > will tell you how many GB of storage your model has, cheap versions usually start at 16GB  and go up to 512GB on the top versions......????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

The benefit is you can remove the card and using a card reader play music, vids, photos on other devises like a lap top, car sound system or smart tv. 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Best to not use SD card anyway, if you lose or phone is stolen they can remove your SD card and have files and photos etc, most people don't encrypt

True,  but on the flip side,  if my phone breaks,  i can pull out the sd card and still have my photos

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

And you've got the option to expand it if you need to.

Newer high end Samsung phones aren't coming with the option of an expandable SD storage slot.  Unfortunate if you like to take 4K/8k videos. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, transam said:

Go into settings > phone > will tell you how many GB of storage your model has, cheap versions usually start at 16GB  and go up to 512GB on the top versions......????

It's fine Trans, I knew when I bought the phone that there was over 100 GBs on it as I had about 600 songs to transfer from my last phone.

20 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Please pardon my ignorance here. I have bought a new Samsung phone recently and just noticed it did not have an SD card. That sounds familiar to me.

Do I need an SD Card? If so how do I get one? What does it do?

Not needed unless you take 2000+ photos 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

Another option besides backing up data online is backing up the data on an external storage device that plugs into your android phone and keeping the external storage at home.

Lazada link

Or just connect to your computer at no extra cost.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Another option besides backing up data online is backing up the data on an external storage device that plugs into your android phone

AS i already said that is an SD card. It is an external (not built in) storage device that plugs into your Phone, you just have to remember to take it out!!! There are many other less convent solutions.

And what are we all doing about the fake sd card sellers.  Shall we march them to the town square and torture them? For those who dont know,  yes,  there are cards that say and report as 1 million gigabyte or whatever but in actual fact data is not stored on them after a small amount of use.  Be careful.  You can always test your sd cards for real capacity and speed with h2testw software.  Google it. 

5 hours ago, bbko said:

Another option besides backing up data online is backing up the data on an external storage device that plugs into your android phone and keeping the external storage at home.

Lazada link

I would be wary of that Lazada external storage device:

Samsung with a Lightning connector and compatible with iPhone/iPod/iPad ??