Non o multi London, wrong name.

Hi all

Got my 1 year multi non o back last week but my first name was spelt wrong

Kelvzn and should be kelvin. 

So sent them an email and they have just replied they can't change it as that what was submitted. 

I have since sent another email saying that all was spelt wright and no way would l spell my name wrong. 

So I don't think I will get much joy with them so do I spend £150 and get a new visa or take a chance with immigration 

at BKK on arrival. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you do?

Thanks in advance kelvin.

Exactly the same problem last year with a TV30 - one letter wrong - and same response from London embassy - nothing that they could/would do. I started all over again.

(The previous year I applied and paid for a METV - they replied saying that they are currently only issuing SETV and that's what they sent me. They didn't refund the +/-£100 difference. It's all part of the Thailand experience!)

Edited by London Lowf
  • Haha 2

Typically Thai. They won't accept you spelt it wright and they are rong.

Seriously though, if passport number etc is correct then I'd take a chance on it.  I've had a couple of multi-O and when I give them the print out they seem to just punch the eVisa number into the computer and don't check other stuff. I guess the visa comes up on their computer.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Typically Thai. They won't accept you spelt it wright and they are rong.

Seriously though, if passport number etc is correct then I'd take a chance on it.  I've had a couple of multi-O and when I give them the print out they seem to just punch the eVisa number into the computer and don't check other stuff. I guess the visa comes up on their computer.

On the contrary, I've found that the IOs at BKK scrutinise my visas very closely. I wouldn't chance it!

Edited by London Lowf

Hello,

last year I entered on an e-visa from London and found, when I arrived at Suvarnabhumi, that the passport number on the visa was incorrect by one numeral. I was taken to one side and the mistake was corrected and entered into a computer. I was assured that all would be well.

Having checked my visa application I saw that the error had been made by the embassy but, as with you, they declined to give any assistance or correction when I contacted them.

Predictably, when I went to CW to extend the visa, it was refused.

Later, I returned to London but then found out that there is an office in Bangkok dedicated to correcting errors on visas. I think it’s near CW and someone on here will have the address. One might think that those in this situation would be directed to this office by officers at CW, but that would be wishful thinking!

When I applied, this year for a non-O multi entry, I went through the visa with a fine tooth comb. A lesson learned!

Hope you can get it sorted.

• Like 1

If the name on the visa doesn't match the one in your passport, then you won't even be permitted to board.

Didn't you print out your application as proof of the information you submitted?
Both you and another member have already submitted spelling mistakes in your posts (wright - right)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Londinium said:

Later, I returned to London but then found out that there is an office in Bangkok dedicated to correcting errors on visas. I think it’s near CW and someone on here will have the address. One might think that those in this situation would be directed to this office by officers at CW, but that would be wishful thinking!

That would be Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Address: 443 Thanon Si Ayutthaya, Thung Phaya Thai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400

Phone: 02 203 5000

• Thumbs Up 1

The letter i isn't anywhere near z on the keyboard or virtual keyboards. Typical saving face.

I would take a chance and play ignorant when questioned - i.e. don't point it out, let them get half way through processing it at BKK airport before they realize, then hope for the best.

The problem you will have is the eagled eyed staff at Heathrow, if you can book an ticket (and print it off) for outbound within 30 days - can just be to malaysia or vietnam, or alternative one of the onward flight providers only a tenner, then you won't need to present the visa during check-in and if you have an extra check in transit (sometimes in Doha). It won't be recorded anywhere what you presented. 

Do note you need to show the e-visa print out  also when getting an extension in country if that's your long term play.

FWIW, Ive flown with typo in my name and wasn't even noticed  ???? was sweating a little at check-in and boarding pass check.

You check if you did (or your browser extensions - autofill etc) did make a mistake, what did you initial email say, it looks like this with the Dear <FIRSTNAME> <LASTNAME>

image.png.b107b4c2d8dff3febb39d80b5267b7eb.png

Edited by circa02

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If so it is should even for a dim-witted border Immigration official be obvious that it is indeed you, in spite of the surname misspelling. 

But unfortunately almost certainly not for an equally - if not considerably more - dim-witted check-in assistant at LHR who will almost certainly derive considerable pleasure from gleefully denying him permission to board his outbound flight to BKK solely on account of the spelling inconsistencies!

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, kelboy said:

I have since sent another email saying that all was spelt wright and no way would l spell my name wrong. 

Considering the spelling mistake in your post I suspect it was your mistake.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But unfortunately almost certainly not for an equally - if not considerably more - dim-witted check-in assistant at LHR who will almost certainly derive considerable pleasure from gleefully denying him permission to board his outbound flight to BKK solely on account of the spelling inconsistencies!

That is, I fear, a possibility. It is unlikely, The airline supervisor will no doubt have seen cases like this before, and be aware of what might lead to serious problems. This ought not to.

23 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Does the Visa you received besides your name also mentions your passport-number?

If so it is should even for a dim-witted border Immigration official be obvious that it is indeed you, in spite of the surname misspelling. 

Except the dim witted IO is Thai and will gleefully point out the error and barr you entry.

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

Most people whose spelling is flawed are able to spell their own names!

I understand that. I dont think his ability to spell is flawed, its his attention to detail. Most people check thier spelling before they post, especially if using a mobile. I personally make many errors, but correct them when I proof read before posting. I suspect this gentleman simply made an error and misspelt his own name.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:21 PM, BritTim said:

That is, I fear, a possibility. It is unlikely, The airline supervisor will no doubt have seen cases like this before, and be aware of what might lead to serious problems. This ought not to.

Although a visa wasn't required, I had a whole ship's crew, all travelling on seaman's airfare tickets, carrying Seaman's books and letters from the vessel's handling agents at their destination, refused boarding by a dim check-in desk worker AND her supervisor because they didn't have a visa. I parked them up overnight at an airport hotel and rebooked them on another airline the next day that didn't have ignoramuses working the desks.

Some supervisors are worse than those they are supervising. They are mostly subcontractors and not airline employees, and work for several airlines during the day all serving different destinations and can't be arsed checking the rules when forced to make a (wrong) decision.

• Like 1

The crazy – nay, ridiculous – part is that the e-visa application site makes you upload a copy of the ID page of your passport, yet still make you type in your name, passport number, birth date, and other details that could be filled in automatically using the data in the machine-readable code at the bottom of that passport page, and after having collected that duplication of data the program does not automatically compare it and alert you of any error.

And they call it Thailand 4.0, whatever they mean with it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1