Mailing US Passport Renewal

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

So the B100 pays for the return envelope and postage...and is paid online? Do I have that correct? 

Yes, and to purchase the envelope and checkout on the site below, it appears that you need to have an account with Thailand  PostMart.  Ignore the ID field when setting up your account (not mandatory), it only accepts what appears to be a 13 digit Thai ID number.   Once purchased, this vendor sends the envelope directly to the embassy and you include payment confirmation in your packet along with your old passport and other docs / photos.  

https://www.thailandpostmart.com/member/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe you can also obtain the required "Courier Pass Back envelope" https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929/ from a Thai post office in person if you don't use the online site.  I haven't done that myself, but I understood that a friend has after he had problems negotiating the online site.

If you would like to use the online site, suggest you view the site (linked above) from the Google Chrome browser (which can translate the page contents from Thai into English).

15 minutes ago, skatewash said:

If you would like to use the online site, suggest you view the site (linked above) from the Google Chrome browser (which can translate the page contents from Thai into English).

If after doing the above there are still parts of the page that are in Thai, you can try moving your cursor over those areas, then right-click and select "Translate to English."

You can also use the Google Lens app on your smart phone (using the phone's camera) to translate the contents of the computer screen from Thai to English.

Edited by skatewash

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

So the B100 pays for the return envelope and postage...and is paid online? Do I have that correct? 

Yes this is correct data I renewed .y USA passport in june 2023 you go to the USA website here in Bangkok it tells you the complete steps you have to mail in your current us passport to prove who you really are so make a copy of your identification page before you mail your us passport to the Bangkok USA embassy location the initial fee is $130 us dollars for a new 10 year passport but in a addition you in a different section have to get a local Bank Draft for 100 Thai baht and that Bangkok also has to be mailed in to the USA Embassy here in Bangkok to do all steps it's well indicated on the USA Bangkok website just follow the steps and you will usually receive you new 10 year valid passport back through the Thailand Post in 7 weeks time and don't forget to include in addition to include your current USA passport to prove who you are but you also need to include two passport size color photos also  all steps are explained on the USA embassy website here in Bangkok just read all steps first before mailing in anything cause the passport is done now completely through the postal mail from now on ,( just read all steps of what all you need to have before mailing and hand write in your application information you will be with out your real passport for about 7 weeks that's why you want to make a few copies of your identity from page showing your current photo and current passport data Incase a policeman or other law enforcement as you to present your identification so they really know who you are all people are required to carry some form of identification when out in the public domain especially us Foreignors cause you never know when some medical issue might come about and if you pass out people can check your pockets to identify you to the proper authorities Incase medical attention needs to be administered to you while your waiting for your renewed passport to arrive back to you this is Excellent advice so follow it you can Thank You Later!

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Expat4life66 said:

Yes, and to purchase the envelope and checkout on the site below, it appears that you need to have an account with Thailand  PostMart. 

What forms of payment can be used for the 100 baht envelope/postage fee?

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Does "Thailandpostmart.com" have an English button to push? If so, I can't find it -- and if not, doubtful many of us could fill out the Thai version.

If u use chrome and have google translate extension it changes to english  ????

....but in a addition you in a different section have to get a local Bank Draft for 100 Thai baht 

that was before : 
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/print-bankdraft_request-form_envelopes.pdf

NOW u need use the thai post to pay the 100

NO idea why they cant just charge us $133 and be done with it  

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Does "Thailandpostmart.com" have an English button to push? If so, I can't find it -- and if not, doubtful many of us could fill out the Thai version.

Upper Right-Hand corner.

1779789202_Screenshotfrom2023-08-1912-05-32.png.099a3d71ad7049adedce70b8602e4ac9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, connda said:

Upper Right-Hand corner.

Unfortunately, my upper right hand corner has a word in Thai, which, yes when I did a Google translate, it said: Select Language. But clicking the select button gives me about 80 names, in Thai. So, another Google translate and: No English option, country or language, shown.

What website did you use to get the "select language" in English?

I think Bank Drafts were a better option for return envelopes. But, I guess this new way gives embassy employees less work.

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

For my passport renewal issued Dec. 2022 a bank draft for 100 baht was obtained from KB and included with passport application. Embassy provided examples of what the draft looks like when completed for various banks (all different). Took two bank people an hour to make it, seems never done before at that branch.

For the $130 passport fee I used a US credit card on Pay.gov, including a copy of payment receipt with application.

37 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Unfortunately, my upper right hand corner has a word in Thai, which, yes when I did a Google translate, it said: Select Language. But clicking the select button gives me about 80 names, in Thai. So, another Google translate and: No English option, country or language, shown.

What website did you use to get the "select language" in English?

I think Bank Drafts were a better option for return envelopes. But, I guess this new way gives embassy employees less work.

อังกฤษ is the usual Thai word for English, though

sometimes it will have ภาษา (language in English) prefixed to emphasize that it is a language, so ภาษาอังกฤษ

Recommend using a computer and the Google Chrome Browser (which will do automatic Thai to English translation), rather than a phone or another browser.  If you only have a phone you might try taking a screen shot and then using Google Translate on the screen shot.

4 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

For my passport renewal issued Dec. 2022 a bank draft for 100 baht was obtained from KB and included with passport application. Embassy provided examples of what the draft looks like when completed for various banks (all different). Took two bank people an hour to make it, seems never done before at that branch.

For the $130 passport fee I used a US credit card on Pay.gov, including a copy of payment receipt with application.

Yes, that is the way it worked back then, but that is no longer accepted and the new procedure is as explained here (see Step 8):

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

People the USA Embassy website in Bangkok Explainsall the Details it Really Helps if you just go to the USA Embassy website and read about all steps it gives very specific details from start to finish of how to get your application by downloading the pages and printing the pages then hand write your information on the printed out application papers it explains about size of passport photos two of them are to be sent in with application the rest go read the webpage and the downloaded printed out application all is explain there Learn to Read from the detailed webpage here is is not the us Embassy website to renew your passport 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Yes, that is the way it worked back then, but that is no longer accepted and the new procedure is as explained here (see Step 8):

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

My brother residing in Chiang Mai submitted his application for a new passport (D-11) personally at the Chiang Mai consulate including a DS-71 from his Thai wife who accompanied him. But there was a special circumstance that required the appointment for which the consulate was very, very supportive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Patriat said:

Yes this is correct data I renewed .y USA passport in june 2023 you go to the USA website here in Bangkok it tells you the complete steps you have to mail in your current us passport to prove who you really are so make a copy of your identification page before you mail your us passport to the Bangkok USA embassy location the initial fee is $130 us dollars for a new 10 year passport but in a addition you in a different section have to get a local Bank Draft for 100 Thai baht and that Bangkok also has to be mailed in to the USA Embassy here in Bangkok to do all steps it's well indicated on the USA Bangkok website just follow the steps and you will usually receive you new 10 year valid passport back through the Thailand Post in 7 weeks time and don't forget to include in addition to include your current USA passport to prove who you are but you also need to include two passport size color photos also  all steps are explained on the USA embassy website here in Bangkok just read all steps first before mailing in anything cause the passport is done now completely through the postal mail from now on ,( just read all steps of what all you need to have before mailing and hand write in your application information you will be with out your real passport for about 7 weeks that's why you want to make a few copies of your identity from page showing your current photo and current passport data Incase a policeman or other law enforcement as you to present your identification so they really know who you are all people are required to carry some form of identification when out in the public domain especially us Foreignors cause you never know when some medical issue might come about and if you pass out people can check your pockets to identify you to the proper authorities Incase medical attention needs to be administered to you while your waiting for your renewed passport to arrive back to you this is Excellent advice so follow it you can Thank You Later!

Thx for the detailed and informative reply. ????

I did mine few months ago from CM....even checked with US consulate but they didnt offer anything.....did it thru the website..got a money order from my bank..used local CM post with tracking #...took about 3 weeks ....was terrified of losing PP..but had NO issues at all....easy

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, The Patriat said:

People the USA Embassy website in Bangkok Explainsall the Details it Really Helps if you just go to the USA Embassy website and read about all steps it gives very specific details from start to finish

Been there, done that.

I was asking about the Thailand PostMart web-site, and which forms of payment (credit, debit, promptpay, etc) they accept for the 100 baht postage fee.

I didn't want to create an account there (yet), and was unable to get the "Guest" access (phone/SMS) to work, si I was unable to get to they payment option screens.

If you know the answer to my question feel free to provide it.

18 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

And is pay.gov reasonably easy to use, including registration. Any unique challenges (like an SMS OTP)?

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Been there, done that.

I was asking about the Thailand PostMart web-site, and which forms of payment (credit, debit, promptpay, etc) they accept for the 100 baht postage fee.

I didn't want to create an account there (yet), and was unable to get the "Guest" access (phone/SMS) to work, si I was unable to get to they payment option screens.

If you know the answer to my question feel free to provide it.

And is pay.gov reasonably easy to use, including registration. Any unique challenges (like an SMS OTP)?

I do recommend creating an account at Thailand PostMart.  It was easy to do, no issues.  I didn't actually purchase anything at the site so can't confirm what payment options are available, although I suspect the usual ones:  credit/debit card, bank account debit, etc.

Regarding pay.gov.  You actually don't need to create an account to just pay for your US passport.

See Should I Create a Pay.gov Account? at https://www.pay.gov/WebHelp/HTML/create_account.html

But, if you decide you want an account, see Create Your Own Account.  There are two methods.  I recommend the first, and don't recommend the second (id.me).  I was never able to create an id.me account.  The first method worked for me, don't recall any issues.

58 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Regarding pay.gov. 

Thanks. I already have an id.me account (for myssa access), and it was one step to add pay.gov to that, then added a CC. Very easy. Thanks for mentioning that, very helpful.

Still looking for recent, first-hand experience with Thailand Postmart payment. I assume that direct bank transfer, or QR/Promptpay is an option, but looking for confirmation rather than guesses.

22 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

USA website gives all forms of payment on the passport renewal page go read it to learn you will learn something new today of how to renew your new 10 year passport at bkk US Embassy website go google to read instructions 

credit card, pay thru agent, internet banking, wallet post, prompt pay QR, true money,

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Patriat said:

USA website gives all forms of payment on the passport renewal page go read it to learn you will learn something new today of how to renew your new 10 year passport at bkk US Embassy website go google to read instructions 

Facepalm.

24 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

credit card, pay thru agent, internet banking, wallet post, prompt pay QR, true money,

Thank you.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, zzzzz said:

NO idea why they cant just charge us $133 and be done with it  

I can answer that.  Because the passport money you pay online goes to the government in USA, and the $3 needs to go to the Thai Post Office.  Two different recipients of the money -- in America it's just part of the price I think.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:28 PM, The Patriat said:
On 8/18/2023 at 5:38 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Yes this is correct data I renewed .y USA passport in june 2023 you go to the USA website here in Bangkok it tells you the complete steps you have to mail in your current us passport to prove who you really are

I renewed my US passport by making an appointment at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai.  So, I appeared in person with my old passport.  I have to renew by April 2024 - is the in-person option no longer available at the Consulate in CM?

1 hour ago, pizzachang said:

I renewed my US passport by making an appointment at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai.  So, I appeared in person with my old passport.  I have to renew by April 2024 - is the in-person option no longer available at the Consulate in CM?

ur tenses are mixed up
1 you cant make an appt so ...
its all done online
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/
apply NOW!