Mailing US Passport Renewal

6 hours ago, pizzachang said:

I renewed my US passport by making an appointment at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai.  So, I appeared in person with my old passport.  I have to renew by April 2024 - is the in-person option no longer available at the Consulate in CM?

It's all postal mail in ONLY from Now No Exception read your countries website here in Thailand as to renew your passport by local postal mail make photo copies of your identity page before you mail in your passport to prove your identity and your renewal.application along with the required passport color pictures you are to provide 2 photos plus a 100 baht fee is to.be paid to cover return postage cost to mail back your new and old passports back to you plus you initial passport renewal fee read your countries website for passport instructions all details are explain with in your countries webpage for Bangkok Embassies here in Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, brian2322 said:

Do they return the old passport so that you can transfer your current visa to the new passport?  

You get your old passport and your new passport back at the same time in the same package envelope so you can transfer all 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:38 AM, Skeptic7 said:

So the B100 pays for the return envelope and postage...and is paid online? Do I have that correct? 

Email them. They'll send latest instructions including if you want to do bank draft ask. I think I mailed in with Thai post

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jelli said:

Email them. They'll send latest instructions including if you want to do bank draft ask. I think I mailed in with Thai post

If a USA Passport all details are posted on the USA Website for Bangkok just read and search all information is there its $130 USD for passport plus a 100 Thai Baht Local Bank Draft to cover postage to return your old and new passport embassy website provides pages to download to print out. 2 colored passport size photos are to be submitted with application read Bangkok us embassy website instruction are there to follow steps to get 100% Completes takes 7 weeks to get new and old passport back make colored photo copies of your front id page where you picture and name is and you carry that you until your passport arrives back in the Thai post mail that's what the additional 100 Thai Baht is for to cover Return postage plus a big Brown envelope with your passport documents inside takes 5 to 7 weeks closer to 7 weeks it took mine in June 2023

Edited by The Patriat
Mis spelled word

1 hour ago, The Patriat said:

If a USA Passport all details are posted on the USA Website for Bangkok just read and search all information is there its $130 USD for passport plus a 100 Thai Baht Local Bank Draft to cover postage to return your old and new passport embassy website provides pages to download to print out. 2 colored passport size photos are to be submitted with application read Bangkok us embassy website instruction are there to follow steps to get 100% Completes takes 7 weeks to get new and old passport back make colored photo copies of your front id page where you picture and name is and you carry that you until your passport arrives back in the Thai post mail that's what the additional 100 Thai Baht is for to cover Return postage plus a big Brown envelope with your passport documents inside takes 5 to 7 weeks closer to 7 weeks it took mine in June 2023

Like I stated. I'd call the embassy and see what the current cross rate is for THB and ask about the mailing particulars. The latter do not change but if you didn't take note on the site when you made the app they'll send you the directions. The turnaround on my passport was something like 14 days, maybe 12.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:32 PM, The Patriat said:

So the B100 pays for the return envelope and postage...and is paid online?

So, I'm wondering why the "Checklist - U.S. Passport renewal by mail" states that "prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."  Is this only referring to a first -time application? I also reviewed the US Consulate instructions and it seems that signing my name in front of a Consular official is not required. This hardly seems 'secure' - anyone could mail in these documents other than photos "less than 6 months old".  I find this odd, since I renewed my passport in 2014, in person and it was so easy. I received my "expires in 2024" passport at the Consulate; now I just trust the Thai Post with all these documents and sign nothing?  I suspect the "payment' has become the "identity verification" -   the bank or paypal or c.c. verifies ?

31 minutes ago, pizzachang said:

So, I'm wondering why the "Checklist - U.S. Passport renewal by mail" states that "prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."  Is this only referring to a first -time application? I also reviewed the US Consulate instructions and it seems that signing my name in front of a Consular official is not required. This hardly seems 'secure' - anyone could mail in these documents other than photos "less than 6 months old".  I find this odd, since I renewed my passport in 2014, in person and it was so easy. I received my "expires in 2024" passport at the Consulate; now I just trust the Thai Post with all these documents and sign nothing?  I suspect the "payment' has become the "identity verification" -   the bank or paypal or c.c. verifies ?

Your old passport is your identity until you receive your new passport to replace the old and new passports from the USA embassy here in  Bangkok are done solely by postal mail no walk INS are no longer accepted before you submit your application with your current passport make copies of your passport identity front page so you have a copy to carry around while you wait for your new and old passports to arrive back to you in the same envelope that that is provided by the USA embassy here in Bangkok your 100 Thai baht extra fee covers the return envelope plus the return postal charge to send you back your old and new passports everything is done by postal mail Thailand post will provide you a tracking number to follow your passport package so it gets to the USA embassy here in Bangkok then your passport gets sent to Washington DC to the US State Department who then start to put your new passport together until it's completely made then it's returned back to the USA embassy here locally in Bangkok you can not provide your own return envelope that option is not available the embassy handles all process from there side you just pay the fees from your side the main passport cost is 130 usd paid over the USA embassy website on the internet only the additional 100 baht postal return fee to send/return your old and new passport that cost is 100 baht either paid through the USA embassy Bangkok website or a 100 bank draft has to be made and sent to the Bangkok US embassy by postal mail just ask for tracking numbers Thailand post does provide tracking numbers that's your ONLY options I redid my passport for another 10 years sent it in in may and received both old and new back in the middle of June it took 6 1/2 weeks had made copies of identity page to hold while passport was being renewed all went smooth just follow (READ) all USA Bangkok Embassy website instruction of how to renew your American passport then as long as you follow all there of instruction plainly written in English you will get all done you need to provide two current color photos of your self taken at a local photo copy shop that offers passport services they know what you need and it's sizes ( 2 of them) attached with your passport application then you mail it all in with Thailand post and request a tracking number mean while you use your front page copies until you receive your new and old passport back to get immigration to recognize a new passport exists and to transfer data to the new passport but  immiggration will charge you that 1900 Thai baht fee cause your starting with a new passport so all past extension are started freshly new all over again from day no it's another screwed up system here in the land of C****pt***

17 minutes ago, The Patriat said:

immiggration will charge you that 1900 Thai baht fee cause your starting with a new passport so all past extension are started freshly new all over again from day

The transfer of stamps from the old passport to the new is supposed to be free, though some offices will insist on an unofficial charge (for which you will not get a receipt).

Your permission to stay from the old passport will remain unchanged after transfers to the new passport. You must still request an extension before the expiry of that permission to stay. Just transferring stamps to the new passport does not add any time to your existing permission to stay.

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The transfer of stamps from the old passport to the new is supposed to be free, though some offices will insist on an unofficial charge (for which you will not get a receipt).

Your permission to stay from the old passport will remain unchanged after transfers to the new passport. You must still request an extension before the expiry of that permission to stay. Just transferring stamps to the new passport does not add any time to your existing permission to stay.

They usually like to charge for this it's there way by Nature it helps the account on there side to build up faster of new found wealth !

15 hours ago, Jelli said:

Like I stated. I'd call the embassy and see what the current cross rate is for THB and ask about the mailing particulars. The latter do not change but if you didn't take note on the site when you made the app they'll send you the directions. The turnaround on my passport was something like 14 days, maybe 12.

Cross rate can be check by app xe convertor on iOS or android download they keep up to date with current exchange rate but the USA website states the USD to Thai baht rate conversion they use no need for phone call the girl answering the phone at the embassy Isa Local Thai she is not that smart by no means had a few arguement and turned her in too ,the US Embassy Knows who I am Very Well cause of Positive discussions I have had with high level Consultant officials and US past Ambassadors Too

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Patriat said:

it took 6 1/2 weeks had made copies of identity page to hold while passport

So, I suppose you also had to make an arrangement with your bank to pre-verify your identity, for making a withdrawal from the "deposit account"  that you use to get funds into Thailand?  I use the monthly deposit (FTT) and usually have to withdraw some money for local expenses during a 30 day cycle - unlucky me - 6 1/2 weeks is longer than 30 days, so before I get the renewal done, I'll speak with the bank manager about the "problem". Thanks for your detailed response. "US citizen services" at the Consulate, now seems like an inconvenience, in this regard. I see that "other locations may not use the mail in renewal service" - just Thailand and maybe(? )some other countries/

1 hour ago, pizzachang said:

Yes, so much easier to pay in person and be id'ed in person. AND, actually SECURE.

I'd even welcome a trip to BKK to the embassy. Stay on 4 or 5 days and kick around the ol' stompin' grounds and restaurants. 

• Like 1