Duamegette is the new area.. apparently

Seems every Philippines YouTuber is hitting Duamegette

It's becoming the farang foreigner area of the Philippines

I guess my concern is the prices of rents etc will now go up as the influx of foreign pensioners migrate to the area 

Yes I may consider this area for retirement but I was a little bit concerned at the "right wing" mentality of some American expats there that made comments about gay people etc and hold a church meeting every Friday at a cafe .

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

First youtube video about Dumagette I saw was in 2015.  It was popular back then.  A current youtuber in the Phils (that is what he calls it) said Dumagette is now overrun with foreigners. I am going to Cebu later this year to see if I want to make the Phils my next destination. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

First youtube video about Dumagette I saw was in 2015.  It was popular back then.  A current youtuber in the Phils (that is what he calls it) said Dumagette is now overrun with foreigners. I am going to Cebu later this year to see if I want to make the Phils my next destination. 

I went to Cebu City last year , remember the city is different from the outer areas .

I enjoyed the Mactan island area far more than the traffic congested city .

But had modern shopping malls 

Dumaguete has been a popular destination for those in the know for a good 20 years. There's a popular long running forum on Dumaguete been online for at least 10 years. Search "Dumaguete forum" and you'll find it. Dumaguete Info Forum is what you are looking for.

Edited by gwapofarang

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I went to Cebu City last year , remember the city is different from the outer areas .

I enjoyed the Mactan island area far more than the traffic congested city .

But had modern shopping malls 

My #1 requirement is an international airport.  Cebu meets that requirement.  

• 2 weeks later...

As said Duma has been popular for decades to those wanting cheap accommodations and a walkable city on the water (not really a beach).  It is not on tourist map as has few such attractions but was/is a solid home for many in a location not normally subject to typhoons.  Over time, population has greatly increased (mostly just PI population) and the once walkable city has become much the same as others with little room for walking.  Medical facilities are lacking, even with the university, so not as good as closer to Cebu for those with medical issues.  Very few condo accommodations so homes, with the security risks that entails.   Limited shopping and eating options.  But cost of living likely be lower than most alternative destinations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:27 AM, SuperSaiyan said:

"Foreigners flooding the Philippines" is a new one.

PH has barely 5% of the expats and tourism than Thailand.

But its growing! Because its cheaper, girls are plenty, hassle free visa.

So, move now, before its flooded... haha!

Any info on the girls you mention? Cost for short time, long time for instance?

Dumaguete in Negros Oriental are a very boring quiet place.

Limited apartments for rent, not more expensive than Cebu city.

The very small expat community, mostly

Americans, meet up at McDonalds and My Way down on the boulevard.

Extremely limited number of women available for a foreigner, in a very small city, where everyone sees everything!

Few if any women want to be seen with a foreigner, unless in a serious relationship.

Very conservative place imo.

Def. not a place to go for single men looking for fun and mongering. 

Manila and Angeles are their first alternatives.

Don't believe all you see on youtube or from any 'influencer' who try to hype a dead place.

It has never been a influx of foreigners running to live in Dumaguete. Most friends who stayed there moved away within few years.

Read more on the local Pi forums for more accurate info, than youtube.

Edited by Shop mak
  • Like 1