Orchids

Hi all,

My friend is coming over to Thailand and looking for Orchid growers, breeders, plantations, gardens anything that has to do with Orchids he wants to see and visit.

As I have no idea I would like to ask you if you can give some advice on where to go to see some very rare ones and where he might be able to buy seeds.

Anyway any info regarding Orchids in Thailand is very welcome.

Thanks all your help is very much appreciated!

Alex

There are many tourist places that have orchids on display. If your friend is an avid orchid fan he may have preference for certain orchid varieties and the ones at the tourist places will generally be the run of the mill varieties.

You didn’t mention if he’s an orchid grower or collector. If he is, he may have some orchid magazines or be a member of an orchid club that will have addresses of Thai suppliers.

You also haven’t mentioned what country he will take the orchids to. There can be quarantine restrictions as well as certificates required to prove the orchids are from farm stock and not taken from the wild.

Orchids come in sealed flasks (reasonable easy to get through quarantine), seedlings and flowering plants.

Maybe you could ask him if he has any places or suppliers he would like to visit. It may save you a lot of running around trying to find places for him to visit.

I hope that helps.

Ok thanks all so far.

To answer a few questions.

He will arrive in BKK and when there are interesting orchid farms around for sure he wants to visit.

If you know one in Mukdahan, he will go there, he is an absolute freak, has dozens of photoalbums with pictures he took from all over the world.

He grows some orchids himself but my feeling tells me he enjoys making pictures of them and so now and then bring some back to Holland.

I will PM Heng and see what he can tell (is it he or she?).

Cheers,

Alex

Heng is a he :o

There are quite a few big orchid farms up near CM. You might also try checking out the botanical gardens in Bangkok, I've never been, so can't tell you if its any good or not.

Maybe after his trip to Thailand (yes, Chiang Mai has lots of orchid farms) your friend might want to pass by Kuala Lumpur. They have a marvellous orchid park with supermany kinds of orchids and tissue-cultured orchids (bottled) or seedlings for sale. Its absolutely stunning.