Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Napier for energy crop

99Farms

Hello Folks,

Anyone growing Napier for Bioenergy and supplying to biogas plants?  I'm looking for some feedback on following matters?

• What variety are you growing? What is the yield per rai?
  • How are you harvesting it? What make and model of the harvester you are using?
  • What are the challenges you are facing?
  • What is the source of good variety seed?

Thank you in advance.

On 8/22/2023 at 2:30 AM, 99Farms said:

Hello Folks,

Anyone growing Napier for Bioenergy and supplying to biogas plants?  I'm looking for some feedback on following matters?

• What variety are you growing? What is the yield per rai?
  • How are you harvesting it? What make and model of the harvester you are using?
  • What are the challenges you are facing?
  • What is the source of good variety seed?

Thank you in advance.

If you go to AN's Maize and Rotational crop thread page 14, they are post posts they about a biogas plant.

One thing Nappier is not grown from seed, but from root stock., the main variety is Packchon II. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 99Farms said:

I heard its a Napier Variety. 

New one for me, as I said before most Napier is now Packchon or Packchon II ,it might be Napier variety, but where can you find it .

My Napier is Napier Taiwan, have had it for some years now we make silage out of it, now not easy to find, and it makes better silage than Packchon.

Have a look at Elephant Grass, similar to Napier but can be higher yielding, but does not like waterlogging, so not a good grass for growing in old rice fields that could well become waterlogged.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 6:19 AM, kickstart said:

New one for me, as I said before most Napier is now Packchon or Packchon II ,it might be Napier variety, but where can you find it .

My Napier is Napier Taiwan, have had it for some years now we make silage out of it, now not easy to find, and it makes better silage than Packchon.

Have a look at Elephant Grass, similar to Napier but can be higher yielding, but does not like waterlogging, so not a good grass for growing in old rice fields that could well become waterlogged.

Do you know any varaties of Elephant Grass available in Thialand? Where do I feed to cuttings?

On 9/12/2023 at 11:19 PM, 99Farms said:

Do you know any varaties of Elephant Grass available in Thialand? Where do I feed to cuttings?

Not easy to find Nappier has all but taken over, but a Thai dairy farmer friend of mine found some on Thai Facebook.

So, try typing elephant grass, or in Thai หญ้าอาฟริน, Yar Elar-Fat, I think the spelling is right.